ninirini
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I need help with my criminal law coursework, the question is

Sebastian has been summoned to appear as a witness in a Crown Court trial of a television personality which is bound to attract a great deal of media attention. The trial will inevitably involve the disclosure of details about Sebastian’s private life. There are some matters he does not wish to have to reveal as he fears that disclosure will damage his reputation amongst his friends and the wider public. In order to save himself from embarrassment or worse, he wants to know whether he would commit a criminal offence if, while giving evidence in court, he were to lie or not disclose certain details during the trial in order to show himself in a more favourable light. He also wants to know whether the court has any powers to prohibit the publication of his name in the media which might be appropriate to this case.
lisa8276
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hello I need help with my public law mock essay. I can't figure out what the question is really asking for and I don't know how to structure it.. Please can you help me? Anyone?

‘[Constitutional] conventions represent important rules of political behaviour which are necessary for the smooth running of the constitution.’

(Allen and Thompson, Cases and Materials on Constitutional and Administrative Law, 9th edition, 2008)

What do you understand by the term ‘constitutional conventions’? Critically explore, giving examples, whether you consider constitutional conventions to be ‘necessary for the smooth running of the constitution’.

thank you
jbanz
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
[QUOTE=lisa8276;46536053]Hello I need help with my public law mock essay. I can't figure out what the question is really asking for and I don't know how to structure it.. Please can you help me? Anyone?

‘[Constitutional] conventions represent important rules of political behaviour which are necessary for the smooth running of the constitution.’

(Allen and Thompson, Cases and Materials on Constitutional and Administrative Law, 9th edition, 2008)

What do you understand by the term ‘constitutional conventions’? Critically explore, giving examples, whether you consider constitutional conventions to be ‘necessary for the smooth running of the constitution’.

Hi lisa.
The question relates to the UK constitutional arrangement, specifically, the sources of the constitution.
You can structure your essay any way like. You could start off by briefly giving a definition of a constitution. Then mention the unique characteristic of the UK constitution namely:- it is unwritten-(in contrast to a written constitution of any other country of your choice); point out that constitutional conventions are one of the sources of the UK constitution; give a definition of the constitutional conventions (here you will need to compare A.V.Dicey's and Sir Ivor Jenning's definitions); then, using examples of the conventions, give your view on their operation within the constitutional arrangement.
Note that there is no right or wrong way of structuring your essay.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Exeter campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (359)
59.05%
Yes- I don't like it (33)
5.43%