Turn on thread page Beta

Athiest confused watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    If Mary is the mother of god but she also carried out the virgin birth of Jesus Christ, Jesus is the son of god but also the brother of god, Jesus mother is his own grandmother if she is gods mother :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Jesus is supposed to be God incarnate, so Mary would be the mother of God in that way. God created Jesus, so they say he is the son of God. I don't think all the relationships are supposed to be literal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saintsin)
    If Mary is the mother of god but she also carried out the virgin birth of Jesus Christ, Jesus is the son of god but also the brother of god, Jesus mother is his own grandmother if she is gods mother :confused:
    lol thats great I never thought of that

ReputationRep:
    "God created Jesus"

Not true. Jesus has always existed just like the Father and the Holy Spirit.

Father/Son is not literal.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everybody!
    About the whole "Mother of God" thing; I take it you're talking about Catholicism. I'd say that we have to think about the trinity. The trinity is Father, Son and the Holy Spirit. "In the beginning the Word was with God and the Word WAS God." Jesus was the living word birthed into the world by the virgin Mary. However he was CONCEIVED of the Holy Spirit. So look at it this way. What if you say God is the father, Jesus the son, and the Holy Spirit "the mother?" They are all spiritual beings. But in the physical world, Mary was the one who had a baby. The spirit in the body is still the son and apart of the Trinity. Now when Jesus was on the cross, he told Mary "Woman behold your son." And he said to "the disciple [he] loved" "Son behold your mother." He's saying that family is made up of those who follow his teachings. So in a nutshell no, it's not "literal."

Personally I'm not Catholic. I've never really understood why people praise Mary....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronnie Raygun)
    Jesus has always existed just like the Father and the Holy Spirit.
    Proof?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommorris)
    Proof?
    its a belief - you can't 'prove' it

ReputationRep:
    (I know, I know, it's just a bit of fun...)

ReputationRep:
    So why don't people write "I believe" instead of some bigoted statement???

ReputationRep:
    It's all a load of *******s anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    It's all a load of *******s anyway.
    Couldn't have put it better myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maddock)
    So why don't people write "I believe" instead of some bigoted statement???
    Exactly, and that should apply to both religion and scientific theory.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    Exactly, and that should apply to both religion and scientific theory.
    and to the investigations into whether GM crops are harmful or not

ReputationRep:
    Yes, except it's time consuming and wrong to pander to stupid people by tagging "I believe" in front of everything you say to avoid conflict. People should be able to tell whether you're seriously stating something as a fact or just giving an opinion from the context you put it in.

ReputationRep:
    its all so confusing!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to be pedantic but as an atheist you shouldn't be confused. Maybe people who FOLLOW the religion should when they come across flaws, but for you since you don't believe in all this anyway, there should be no problem. Hence no confusion.

ReputationRep:
    I read this question, didn't really understand it and thought this is why religion is such a pile of potatos.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by innitman_uk)
    its a belief - you can't 'prove' it
    Why do people believe it if it can't be proven? This is what bugs me about religion - blind faith.

If I said I believed that my car is evolved from cheese, even though I can't prove it, I wouldn't expect anyone to take me seriously.

ReputationRep:
    Mary is not 'the mother of god', she is mother to Jesus' Human incarnation (ie his body). Mary was an ordinary sinful woman who had pleased God and therefore was blessed with the privilege of being Jesus' earthly mother.

Once when Jesus was preaching he was told that his mother and brothers wanted him and he said that the people he was speaking to were his mother and his brothers. Of course, this did not mean they were his biological family but they were his family because they had been 'adopted' by God, the Father. (such symbolic language is often found in the Bible)

On top of this the term 'Father' referring to the 1st part of the Godheaddoes not mean that he was Jesus' biological father, but of the position of respect and sovereignity he holds.

Strictly speaking Jesus had no biological parents as his body was created in Mary's womb, by the Holy Spirit, without sperm or egg.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trousers)
    Why do people believe it if it can't be proven? This is what bugs me about religion - blind faith.

If I said I believed that my car is evolved from cheese, even though I can't prove it, I wouldn't expect anyone to take me seriously.

Just because there are things people cannot comprehend (our minds being finite and god being infinite) does not mean they have blind faith. It boils down to whether you believe the Bible is God's Word or not.

By the way, the Big Bang can't be proven, as it can't be tested and on top of this has many flaws (ie some parts of the universe seeming to expand, while others seem shrink), yet many people believe it explains the origin of the universe (never mind the fact that there would have to be something to collide in order cause the explosion - where did that come from (if anyone says the collapse of a previous universe - where did that come from)

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.