Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    No thankyou. I'll stick with christianity if it's all the same to you.
    are you ruling the chance to go to heaven, im not sayin christainity comnpletly wrong, im jus sayion that its been added and taken away by a bit of peopel who would have recieved a bit of income from what they worte, beieve you me, if you listen to this you will automatically change your thinking about islam form being negative (beacuse of the medai, into being positive because of its truth)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amazing)
    I've just said that most scientific discoveries contradict atheism and make theism and the existance of God more likely. Richard Dawkins has tried to say evolution somehow disproves the existance of God, but that is clearly wrong seen as a) at the absolute most, that would only disprove the existance of a God that created human beings in their current form rather than letting them evolve and b) most creation stories involving Adam and Eve type figures tend to be allegorical and metaphorical anyway.

I think most atheists tend to have some kind of "faith" in the fact that God exists, or believe they are being logical in thinking God doesn't exist without realising the full facts or that there's a certain amount of rationality afforded to the belief in God.
    about time ive heard some12 say something logical in here, something that makes sense, you should listen ot the tape, tell me what you think about it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maximusmak)
    are you ruling the chance to go to heaven, im not sayin christainity comnpletly wrong, im jus sayion that its been added and taken away by a bit of peopel who would have recieved a bit of income from what they worte, beieve you me, if you listen to this you will automatically change your thinking about islam form being negative (beacuse of the medai, into being positive because of its truth)
    But I LIKE being a Christian. Is that OK with you?

ReputationRep:
    But I LIKE being a Christian. Is that OK with you?
    i aint against that, im jus asking you to hear this tape i have which i can send u via msn?

ReputationRep:
    i aint against that, im jus asking you to hear this tape i have which i can send u via msn?
    No. Toooooooo busy!

ReputationRep:
    No. Toooooooo busy!
    it might save you from hell?

ReputationRep:
    Still too busy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drago di giada)
    Metaphor for you.. You take the normal 23 chromosomes in a human sex cell.. and add one.. if you have 23 joining with 24 then there will be a birth defect.. most likely Down Syndrome especially if it is in the 13th chromosome. We cannot possibly know all of the different combinations for human chromosomes.. its not possibly.. there would be to many. But some variations are good... they could be considered mutations.. but they could be for the bettering of the offspring.
    No. Down's syndrome isn't caused by an extra chromosome but by a variation on (I think) chromosome 21. All variations come about through mutation. The term for a beneficient mutation is (or was) hopeful monster.

ReputationRep:
    Heaven for climate, hell for company.

Who loves not wisely but too well
    Will look on Helen's face in Hell;
    But he whose love is thin and wise
    Will view John Knox in Paradise.
    -Alter names to suit.

ReputationRep:
    Christianity is no more wrong than buddhism, hinduism, judaism, etc.. If you call one religion wrong then you call them all wrong. It is a person's beliefs that are what make it right, if they believe so strongly in something why would you want to disuade them? You should want them to be happy.. am I wrong?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weejimmie)
    No. Down's syndrome isn't caused by an extra chromosome but by a variation on (I think) chromosome 21. All variations come about through mutation. The term for a beneficient mutation is (or was) hopeful monster.
    How awful.. hopeful monster!! that is.. wrong!

ReputationRep:
    I'll say it again - many athiests - not all athiests - have quite a smug attitude and believe they are better and more enlightened than people who believe in some sort of creator.

But while there isn't really any evidence to suggest there is, neither is there any evidence to suggest there isn't, and no alternative has been offered for the creation of the universe. Obviously, if there was a creator, we would need top consider where he/she/it came from etc., so this is no real answer. My point is however that neither science nor anything else has been able to answer the question of where the universe came from. So, for the time being at least, people should be allowed to have their believes without being persecuted or ridiculed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hitchhiker_13)
    I'll say it again - many athiests - not all athiests - have quite a smug attitude and believe they are better and more enlightened than people who believe in some sort of creator.

But while there isn't really any evidence to suggest there is, neither is there any evidence to suggest there isn't, and no alternative has been offered for the creation of the universe. Obviously, if there was a creator, we would need top consider where he/she/it came from etc., so this is no real answer. My point is however that neither science nor anything else has been able to answer the question of where the universe came from. So, for the time being at least, people should be allowed to have their believes without being persecuted or ridiculed.
    yip yip

ReputationRep:

Well said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    Well said.
    Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trousers)
    Why do people believe it if it can't be proven? This is what bugs me about religion - blind faith.

If I said I believed that my car is evolved from cheese, even though I can't prove it, I wouldn't expect anyone to take me seriously.
    Scientists can't prove that we evolved from monkeys - do you take scientists seriously?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    Scientists can't prove that we evolved from monkeys - do you take scientists seriously?
    But they can, if not prove, then provide stron evidence that anyone can see and understand. Try reading "The Blind Watchmaker". It explains evolution plain and simple.

ReputationRep:

But while there isn't really any evidence to suggest there is, neither is there any evidence to suggest there isn't, and no alternative has been offered for the creation of the universe.
    What evidence is there that the universe was created at all?
    Obviously, if there was a creator, we would need top consider where he/she/it came from etc., so this is no real answer. My point is however that neither science nor anything else has been able to answer the question of where the universe came from. So, for the time being at least, people should be allowed to have their believes without being persecuted or ridiculed.
    Most of the persecution has come from believers of one kind or other. Pointing out flaws and foolishness in arguments is not ridicule. Science has been a great deal more accurate in showing how the universe works.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drago di giada)
    Christianity is no more wrong than buddhism, hinduism, judaism, etc.. If you call one religion wrong then you call them all wrong.
    Not at all. Nearly every religion maintains that every other religion is wrong or wrongish or not quite right. That is how they differ from one another.
    It is a person's beliefs that are what make it right, if they believe so strongly in something why would you want to disuade them?
    What if they believe strongly that they are so right and wonderful the rest of the world should do what they want?
    You should want them to be happy.. am I wrong?
    Yes. You are wrong. If happiness depends on delusions or another person's unhappiness then they should not want to be happy. In fact, if you agree "Call no man happy until he is dead." you have a right to kill people to make them happy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    Scientists can't find a cure for the common cold. Nor can they prove a bumblebee is aerodynamically capable of flying.

Following scientific advise the government recently scared the living **** out of middle aged women by warning of the dangers of HRT. They now admit they were..........erm........probabl y wrong.........

Scientists can't even decide on a good diet. High fat, low carb say one party......zero fat say another.

Scientists don't know what's on the bottom of 70% of the ocean floor.

Scientists. My ass!

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.