Athiest confused Watch

This discussion is closed.
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by piginapoke)
Rocks in solid form are pretty inert though, the inside of the earth isn't inert, its got liquid rock (blood) and magnetic fields (nervous system). Alright, I'll shut up.
And rivers which are obviously the urinary tract.
Golden Maverick
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by riffraff)
perhaps they are alive- just very very slow if they are alive- this poses some vary serious issues for vegetarians- we will soon have to stop using cut stone as it would be cruelty to rocks. making glass would likewise be considered to be wrong :rolleyes:
And breathing would also be a problem
Golden Maverick
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
You're restricting yourselves to thinking about life in the conventional sense though! Does life have to breath oxygen and eat McDonalds?
Nono, for vegetarians/vegans things like breathing and urinating would be difficult - pissing on something alive
riffraff
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
You're restricting yourselves to thinking about life in the conventional sense though! Does life have to breath oxygen and eat McDonalds?
true- what about anaerobic bacteria?
riffraff
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Golden Maverick)
Nono, for vegetarians/vegans things like breathing and urinating would be difficult - pissing on something alive
on the subject of vegetarianism- there was a study a couple of months/years back which indicated that plants might be sentient.
riffraff
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Are you sure it wasn't just 'more sentient than vegetarians'?
:eek:

I'm so insulted
riffraff
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Well vegetarianism has nothing to do with things being 'alive' as they eat vegetables which are alive, the heartless buggers!
I know- we are indeed an evil breed
Golden Maverick
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Well vegetarianism has nothing to do with things being 'alive' as they eat vegetables which are alive, the heartless buggers!
lol

What about those people who only eat fruit or vegetables that have died in certain ways, like falling off the tree
riffraff
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Mini earths (a la mini kievs). It all makes sense I tell you!
tell me, is it 2 o'clock in the morning in the area you are currently positing from?
riffraff
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Lay off those defenceless plants and I'll stop the insults
so what should I eat :rolleyes:
riffraff
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
One word: mental.
one member: Kurdt Morrelo
riffraff
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Sometimes. Once a day in fact.
really? wow!

just your idea sonded like one of those blinding flashes of inspiration that occurs at aroun 2 o'clock after imbibing large quantities of intoxicants- or am I the only one that happens to?
riffraff
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Animals. That's why God made them out of meat.
yes- but to raise enough meat to feed one person, the animal has to consume more plants then would be consumed if the person just ate them directly- so it is better for the plants if the world's population went veggie
Golden Maverick
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Not really, I was thinking about it the other day and it made sense in a vague kind of way, I just didn't explain it properly. I sometimes like to try and think about things in a new way as we seem to get stuck in preconceptions, like life - we're always assuming it has to be carbon based and needs water, but why?
Because weve never found one that doesnt
riffraff
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Not really, I was thinking about it the other day and it made sense in a vague kind of way, I just didn't explain it properly. I sometimes like to try and think about things in a new way as we seem to get stuck in preconceptions, like life - we're always assuming it has to be carbon based and needs water, but why?
well water is generally used as it is pretty unreactive and can act as a solvent, but at other temperatures/pressures other substances could definately be used. why is carbon generally assumed to be necessary for life? is it because it is so abundant or because it can take many different forms with different properties?
riffraff
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
But but but I would go out of business!
start a lettuce farm- or a truffle farm
riffraff
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
We've never found one that wasn't two years from our face! Anyway, the real point is that if everything is matter, why are some things 'alive' and others not? A lump of rock is more alive than some people I know!
a lump of rock is more alive than most people who are already dead
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Animals. That's why God made them out of meat.
I'll rep you for that tommorrow. Made me laugh.
riffraff
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I don't know, I've stopped reading scientific stuff, it clouds my brain with facts when I want it full of dreamy nonsense.
well working on the basis that something necessary for life would probably be not very reactive, can be used as a solvent/is vesatile and is abundant, carbon fits the bill. potassium and oil would also work- but i doubt they would form a basis for life
Golden Maverick
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by riffraff)
well working on the basis that something necessary for life would probably be not very reactive, can be used as a solvent/is vesatile and is abundant, carbon fits the bill. potassium and oil would also work- but i doubt they would form a basis for life
The usual second choice is silicon - very similar to carbon chemically.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (76)
17.31%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (281)
64.01%
Not yet but I am planning to (21)
4.78%
Not yet but I might (61)
13.9%

Watched Threads