Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saintsin)
    If Mary is the mother of god but she also carried out the virgin birth of Jesus Christ, Jesus is the son of god but also the brother of god, Jesus mother is his own grandmother if she is gods mother :confused:
    It is well known that Mary did not consent to becoming pregnant, therefore was she raped by God?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AveHan)
    It is well known that Mary did not consent to becoming pregnant, therefore was she raped by God?
    hah

Rape involves sex - not preganacy - I think the whole ridiculous idea is that there was no sex

(Oh by the way Jesu's brother James and the Jerusalem Church just after his death did NOT claim his birth was immacualte - this was added by Paul who never met the man)

ReputationRep:
    all the previous talk about mary and jesus you people jus said aint true, i mean for God's sake these people were chosen by God, mary is the most rightous women ever laded in this earth and jesus was her son and the prophet of God.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maximusmak)
    all the previous talk about mary and jesus you people jus said aint true, i mean for God's sake these people were chosen by God, mary is the most rightous women ever laded in this earth and jesus was her son and the prophet of God.
    YOU ARE AN &$(&"£("£* STOP STATING THINGS AS IF THEY ARE KNOWN FACTS - IT IS YOUR OPINION, OPINION, OPINION THAT THIS IS THE CASE.

Why on earth is there ANY REASON to believe that there was an immaculate conception? Were you in the room when it happened?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawzzzzzz)
    YOU ARE AN &$(&"£("£* STOP STATING THINGS AS IF THEY ARE KNOWN FACTS - IT IS YOUR OPINION, OPINION, OPINION THAT THIS IS THE CASE.

Why on earth is there ANY REASON to believe that there was an immaculate conception? Were you in the room when it happened?
    Were YOU?!? How do you know that there wasn't an immaculate conception?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drago di giada)
    Were YOU?!? How do you know that there wasn't an immaculate conception?
    THats the stupidist thing I have ever heard

You need a reason to think something is the case
    Its not the case that you can think anything unless there is a reason to say otherwise

"I think that in 1000000 BC there were pink dogs that could fly and the reason there is no evidence is that they developed spaceships and left the planet"

On your view - if I said that was ridiculous and asked for evidence - you would say "can you prove its not true?"

ReputationRep:
    On your view - if I said that was ridiculous and asked for evidence - you would say "can you prove its not true?"
    But you CAN'T can you?!? You have absolutely no reason to refute something if you cannot prove it didn't happen!

ReputationRep:
    look, I'm not saying that I agree that it was an immaculate conception but I'm not saying that it wasn't either. We have no idea whether it was or wasn't.. we weren't there!

ReputationRep:
    But you CAN'T can you?!? You have absolutely no reason to refute something if you cannot prove it didn't happen!
    Ok so you are saying that there would be every reason for me to believe that such dogs existed?

Basically every single possible belief is valid unless you can show its not true? We need have NO BASIS for belief whatsoever?

ReputationRep:
    Ok so you are saying that there would be every reason for me to believe that such dogs existed?

Basically every single possible belief is valid unless you can show its not true? We need have NO BASIS for belief whatsoever?
    Its like saying that there is no God just because we have not seen him.. WHO CARES?!? People choose to believe in him because they need something bigger and better to believe in. It gives them hope.. why would you want to take that away from someone?

ReputationRep:
    Its like saying that there is no God just because we have not seen him.. WHO CARES?!? People choose to believe in him because they need something bigger and better to believe in. It gives them hope.. why would you want to take that away from someone?

Exactly my point - If there is no evidence then why should we perpetuate the notion he exists?

People should not believe in him because it makes them warm and fuzzy - it should be because they have a reason to think its true...

Why would I take it away from them? Because I dont like unproven allegations like the one above that certain views are correct when they are not - like I say Religion breeds superiority - it leads to seeing other views as less than perfect, and thus those that hold them, equally flawed.

THATS why I have a problem with it

ReputationRep:

cuz God is capable of doin miricales

ReputationRep:
    cuz God is capable of doin miricales
    I think you must be slightly slow ...

You cant answer my call for evidence with further unsubstantiated claims

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AveHan)

Mary did consent -"I am the handmaid of the Lord" etc.

ReputationRep:
    I think you must be slightly slow ...

You cant answer my call for evidence with further unsubstantiated claims
    name what ever evidence you want to ehar and ill show it to you if i can, if i cant, im sure there an answer out there, becuase even though its hard to believ, i aint that clever you know, thery are millions of ppl who are much clever then me, im jst stating the obvioius and the logic.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly my point - If there is no evidence then why should we perpetuate the notion he exists?

People should not believe in him because it makes them warm and fuzzy - it should be because they have a reason to think its true...

Why would I take it away from them? Because I dont like unproven allegations like the one above that certain views are correct when they are not - like I say Religion breeds superiority - it leads to seeing other views as less than perfect, and thus those that hold them, equally flawed.

THATS why I have a problem with it
    Who gives a damn? Its their right to believe what they want, and who are you to say that they are correct or not? We believe what we choose to believe, and sometimes its what we need... Things that people consider true are not always the best things in life. Money and power don’t mean anything, and courage and honor and virtue mean everything. Not to mimic the actions of others, but to hold oneself to a higher standard. And that the things that may or may not be true are the things you need to believe in the most.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hitchhiker_13)
    Mary did consent -"I am the handmaid of the Lord" etc.
    *applauds*

ReputationRep:
    name what ever evidence you want to ehar and ill show it to you if i can, if i cant, im sure there an answer out there, becuase even though its hard to believ, i aint that clever you know, thery are millions of ppl who are much clever then me, im jst stating the obvioius and the logic.
    You just discredited ALL previous arguments you had stated when you said the word AIN'T.

ReputationRep:
    Who gives a damn? Its their right to believe what they want, and who are you to say that they are correct or not? We believe what we choose to believe, and sometimes its what we need... Things that people consider true are not always the best things in life. Money and power don’t mean anything, and courage and honor and virtue mean everything. Not to mimic the actions of others, but to hold oneself to a higher standard. And that the things that may or may not be true are the things you need to believe in the most.

It maybe their RIGHT to believe what they want - but I can also express my belief that it is unfounded...

Also - the fact is that people DONT keep their views personal - they try to influence other people's lives because of it - eg the Vatican campaigning for abortion bans... or against contraception

I HAVE THE RIGHT TO SAY THAT THE BELIEFS THAT THEY FOUND THIS ON HAVE NO BASIS

ReputationRep:
    You just discredited ALL previous arguments you had stated when you said the word AIN'T.
    i used aint in which statement and circumstance

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.