Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DivideByZero)
    You have absolutely no reason to believe that. Like I say, belief in God is as irrational as a belief in cloaked alien vessels that are in an Earth orbit to spy on us. If you believe in God you may aswell believe in the aliens.
    There is something called optimism- it does good to have a bit of that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saintsin)
    If Mary is the mother of god but she also carried out the virgin birth of Jesus Christ, Jesus is the son of god but also the brother of god, Jesus mother is his own grandmother if she is gods mother :confused:
    make its a lot more simple if you take the islamic point aview

see there is no blood relaitonship with God and mary/jesus.
    basically, mary is a virgin all the way, and jesus is a prophet from the virgin mary, you see every prophet need a miricale for his people to believe that he is sent from God. so God is the one and only, with no wife or child or parents, his eternal and ever lasting.

if we say jesus is the son of God that contracits God's quality of being the one and only and the most powerful and the al-mighty. dont you think if God had a son, they will always be fighting over the power and cause caos in this world. say God decides that i shoould sit down and jesus says to stand up, and they dont agree, what will the world see from autrocities.

if u say mary was the son of god, then wat does that make the parents of Mary. the grandparetns of god, thats a joke. and what happened before jesus was born, there was no god, why didnt god create a son at the start, y wasnt adam his son, after all he was the 1st man in this earth. if he choose to have one. its jus contraditions piling up. thats why islam makes it clear and precise that God is the one and only.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greenrevolt)
    There is something called optimism- it does good to have a bit of that
    You have no reason to believe good even exists. I'm not saying you should feel depressed or anything, I'm just saying that you shouldn't trust that your emotions are telling you the truth.

The way I see it, morals are like horizontal and vertical, up and down, left and right etc. These things do not actually exist in the universe except to human definition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DivideByZero)
    You have no reason to believe good even exists. I'm not saying you should feel depressed or anything, I'm just saying that you shouldn't trust that your emotions are telling you the truth.

The way I see it, morals are like horizontal and vertical, up and down, left and right etc. These things do not actually exist in the universe except to human definition.
    I think people have morals because of their upbringing not because some made up book and "spirit" gives it to them. Its something you learn just like how to read or ride a book. Some people have them others dont.

ReputationRep:
    One, how can an atheist be confused about faith when they have already consigned themselves to not believe in it? Two, the fact that ppl even argue against the existence of God would make the point that God does exist...simply because if God didn't exist then there would be no point to argue against that fact. You can't argue about the existence of nothing...can you?

Joking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoKing)
    the fact that ppl even argue against the existence of God would make the point that God does exist...simply because if God didn't exist then there would be no point to argue against that fact. You can't argue about the existence of nothing...can you?Joking.
    No: the hypothesis that there is a god or gods exists. It is perfectly reasonable to discuss that hypothesis and whether or not it is true and the consequences of the various forms of that hypothesis put forward by various belief systems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weejimmie)
    It is perfectly reasonable to discuss (the) hypothesis and whether or not it is true and the consequences of the various forms of that hypothesis put forward by various belief systems.
    Not after 5 pints it isn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoKing)
    the fact that ppl even argue against the existence of God would make the point that God does exist...simply because if God didn't exist then there would be no point to argue against that fact. You can't argue about the existence of nothing...can you?
    My 4 year old cousin put forward an excellent argument for there being a Father Christmas yesterday. I was unconvinced, however since you can't argue about the existence of nothing, he must exist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Not after 5 pints it isn't.
    But much more fun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zapsta)
    My 4 year old cousin put forward an excellent argument for there being a Father Christmas yesterday. I was unconvinced, however since you can't argue about the existence of nothing, he must exist.
    Oh dear. That doesn't bode well. Can I take it that having been trounced in a debate by a four year old you're not planning a future in politics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Oh dear. That doesn't bode well. Can I take it that having been trounced in a debate by a four year old you're not planning a future in politics?
    Anyone would have lost though, given that you can't argue about the existence of nothing.

ReputationRep:
    I was just saying that atheists shouldn't argue against the existence of God because by arguing the fact, they are arguing for something which they don't consider to exist ie. nothing and that seems to be pointless and defeats the purpose of not believing in God. Basically, you should believe what you believe...and if you don't believe in Santa Claus and your 4 year old cousin does...then fine...just don't argue about with him/her about it, because that would mean he did exist.

JoKing.

ReputationRep:
    Vander Hoven, a psychologist from Netherlands, announced his new discovery about the effect of reading the Quran and repeating the word ALLAH both on patients and on normal persons. The Dutch professor

confirms his discovery with studies and research applied on many patients over a period of three years. Some of his patients were non-Muslims, others do not speak Arabic and were trained to pronounce the word "ALLAH" clearly; the result was great, particularly on those who suffer from dejection and tension. Al Watan, a Saudi daily reported that the psychologist was quoted to say that Muslims who can read Arabic and who read the Quran regularly could protect themselves from psychological diseases.

The psychologist explained how each letter in the word "ALLAH" affects healing of psychological diseases. He pointed out in his research that pronouncing the first letter in the word "ALLAH" which is the letter

(A), released from the respiratory system, controls breathing. He added that pronouncing the velar consonant (L) in the Arabic way, with the tongue touching slightly the upper part of the jaw producing

a short pause and then repeating the same pause

constantly, relaxes the aspiration.

Also, pronouncing the last letter which is the letter (H) makes a contact between the lungs and the heart and in turn this contact controls the heartbeat.

What is exciting in the study is that this psychologist is a non-Muslim, but interested in Islamic sciences and searching for the secrets of the Holy Quran. Allah, The Great and Glorious, says, We will show them Our signs in the universe and in their own selves, until it becomes manifest to (remember me in ur Dua) ALLAHU AKBAR Allah is great

ReputationRep:
    WHY IS PORK FORBIDDEN IN ISLAM??

Bob: Tell me why is it that a Muslim is very particular about the words
    Halaal and Haraam; what do they mean?
    Yunus: That which is permissible is termed Halaal and that which i
    not permissible is termed Haraam and it is the Quran which draws the
    distinction between the two.
    Bob: Can you give me an example?
    Yunus: Yes, Islam has prohibited ! blood of any type. You will agree
    "that a chemical analysis of blood shows that it contains an
    abundance of uric acid, a chemical substance which can be injurious to
    human
    health. "

"Bob: You're right about the toxic nature of uric acid, in the human
    being it is excreted as a waste product and in fact we are told
    that
    98% of the body's uric acid is extracted from the blood by the kidneys
    and
    removed through urination.
    Yunus: Now I think that you'll appreciate the special prescribed
    method
    of animal slaughter in Islam.
    Bob: What do you mean?
    "Yunus: You see, the wielder of the knife, whilst taking the name of the
    'Almighty', makes an incision through the jugular veins, leaving all other veins and organs intact.
    "Bob: I see, this causes the death of the animal by a total loss of
    blood
    from the! body, rather than an injury to any vital organ.
    "Yunus: Yes, were the organs, example the heart, the liver, or the brain
    crippled or damaged, the animal could die immediately and its blood
    would congeal in its veins and would eventually permeate the flesh.
    This implies that the animal flesh would be permeated and contaminated with
    uric acid and therefore very poisonous; only today did our dietitians
    realize such a thing.
    "Bob: Again, while on the topic of food; Why do Muslims condemn the eating of pork or ham or any foods related to pigs or swine.
    "Yunus: Actually, apart from the Quran prohibiting the consumption of
    pork,bacon (pig flesh); in fact the Bible too in Leviticus chapter

verse 8, regarding swine it says, ""of their flesh (of the swine
    >another name >for pig)shall you not eat, and of their carcass you shall not touch; >>>they are " unclean to you."" " Further, did you know that a pig cannot be >>>slaughtered at the neck for it does not have a neck; that >is >according to its natural anatomy. A Muslim reasons that if the pig was >to be >slaughtered and fit for human consumption the Creator would have >>>provided it with a neck. >>> >>>" Nonetheless, all that aside, I am sure you are well informed about the >>>harmful effects of the consumption of pork, in any form, be >it >pork chops, ham, bacon. >>> >>>Bob: The medical science finds that there is a risk for various diseases >>>as the pig is found to be a host for many parasites and >potential >diseases. >>> >>>"Yunus: Yes, even apart from that, as we talked about uric acid content >>>in the blood, it is important to note that the pig's >biochemistry >excretes only 2% of its total uric acid content, >>>the remaining 98% remains as an integral part of the body.

ReputationRep:
    Question for all you Christians: I happen not to believe in God, but still follow a moral code. However the Bible tells me that despite this I can't go to heaven and must rot in hell for all eternity, because I don't have faith. (Well, to be honest, I can't say I'd enjoy the thought of sharing a heaven with a God who's that petty, but anyway)

My question is - why doesn't God just say - "look, I'm here, believe in me and do as I ask"? It's not that hard for an omnipotent deity, surely. How come people like Saul get special visions to make them believe? I've never had a blinding white light, nor have any of my family or friends. What made Saul so special that he got a massive great sign and the rest of us are just told to have faith?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    Question for all you Christians: I happen not to believe in God, but still follow a moral code. However the Bible tells me that despite this I can't go to heaven and must rot in hell for all eternity, because I don't have faith. (Well, to be honest, I can't say I'd enjoy the thought of sharing a heaven with a God who's that petty, but anyway)

My question is - why doesn't God just say - "look, I'm here, believe in me and do as I ask"? It's not that hard for an omnipotent deity, surely. How come people like Saul get special visions to make them believe? I've never had a blinding white light, nor have any of my family or friends. What made Saul so special that he got a massive great sign and the rest of us are just told to have faith?
    I think it's just away to help control people, i am just suprised that over 70% of the british believe in christianity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ToshTrent)
    I think it's just away to help control people, i am just suprised that over 70% of the british believe in christianity.

Yeah right they do. They probably say it on the census but I wonder how many go to church? I go to church far more than most of these 'christians' and I'm an atheist (OK, admittedly I only go for the music )

ReputationRep:
    Yeah right they do. They probably say it on the census but I wonder how many go to church? I go to church far more than most of these 'christians' and I'm an atheist (OK, admittedly I only go for the music )
    The music, lol. Perhaps they should release a few beats into the charts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ToshTrent)
    The music, lol. Perhaps they should release a few beats into the charts.

Lol... yeeees, I can see choral music really taking off on the Pepsi Chart...

ReputationRep:
    Lol... yeeees, I can see choral music really taking off on the Pepsi Chart...
    Well cumbyare how ever it's spelt would go a treat.

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.