CHEMISTRY AS Oxidising Ethanol to EthanalWatch
UNBELIEVEABLY CONFUSED.. NO RESULTS WERE ACTUALLY COLLECTED JUST TOLD TO ANSWER THE Q'S
1) using the following densities- ethanol= 0.77cm-3, Ethanal= 0.79gcm-3 at 20 degrees- calc the yield assuming that the distillate is pure ethanal.
2)Which product would be responsible for tunring the universal indicator red? How was this product formed?
3) Why cannot reflux followed by distillation of the product be used to make ethanal?
4) draw structural formulae for ethanal and an isomer of c2h4o circling and naming the functional groups.
5) Ethanol has a boiling point of 78 degrees whereas its isomer methoxymethane (CH30CH3) boils at 28 degrees, explain this in terms of bonding.
Experiment 2; Oxidising ethanol to ethanoic acid
1) explain how wine (ethanol) turns to vinegar (ethanoic acid) once its left in open air.
2) Name the acid formed when the ethanol in this reaction is replaced by: (a) propan-1-ol; and (b) pentan-1-ol.
3)explain why propan-2-ol is not oxidised to a carboxylic acid
4) explain whhy the distillate may be a mixture of ethanol, ethanal, ethanoic acid and water.
5)How could the chemicals mentioned in q4 be seperated?
ANY HELP ON ANY OF THE ABOVE QUESTIONS WOULD BE APPRECITED
3) because reflux would produce ethanioc acid which cannot be oxidised distillation of ethanol would produce ethanal but not after reflux (as the ethanol would already be ethanoic acid)
4) functional group for ethanal is the H-C=O (CHO)
5) i think its to do with shorter chain length so less van der waals so less/easier to break bonds so lower melting/boiling points
1) i think its because its ethanolic (alcoholic) so is oxidised in air (not sure on this one)
2)propanoic acid from propan-1-ol
Pentanioc acid from pentan-1-al
Dont need numbers on acids as carboxylic acid will only form from a primary alcohol
3) propan-2-ol is a secondary alcohol so oxidises to a ketone whereas carboxylic acids can only be formed from oxidising a primary alcohol
Not sure on all of them but let us know if you need any more help/dont understand whats been put
Posted from TSR Mobile
Also, the Q's appear to have been answered.[/confuzzled]