The Student Room Group

'Explore Learning'- flexibility?

I'm looking around at the moment for a job, and noticed that Explore learning, a tuition centre, is recruiting where I live. I would really like to do a tuition- type thing, and as I have experience working with children, and am good at explaining stuff (with excellent academic record) - my only worry is whether they tend to allow long periods off...I'm going to be on holiday for a month in the early summer, and then to university, though hopefully somewhere with very short terms (8 weeks), so I'd have plenty of time in the holidays. Does anyone know if they tend to be accomodating of things like that? Any other experience of working there?
Thanks much :smile:
It would be the one in Newcastle if that affects it...
And also whether anyone knows if you can chose which days you work? I have quite a few extra-curriculars going on....not sure if anyone here can actually answer any of these questions, but hey, I'll give it a shot!
bump?
Reply 4
Hey, I can (kind of) answer some of it.

You've got to ask them about the long periods because it depends on the centre.

And yup, you can choose the days you can work, but it's around (at least) 3 shifts a week, so yeah!
Reply 5
Hi, I worked for Explore for two years - you are usually required to work three shifts; two during the week and one at the weekend.. Weekday shifts are usually around four hours long between 3-8pm, and 10-6pm sat, 11-5pm sunday.. It isnt essential but flexibility is an important attribute and they tend to emphasise during their recruitment process. You dont get set amount of holiday hours as you get paid a percentage of your wages each month as 'holiday pay' therefore you can take as much holiday as you want in theory; therefore there is always a lot of cover up for people who wish to earn some extra cash.

The centre I worked at said they did not allow people to stay on as tutors when they move away to uni as they tend to get out of practise with the tutoring methods - although its extremely common to transfer to a different centre nearer your uni during term time.. and then to cover shifts at your home centre during the holidays as your constantly working at Explore. So if there is a centre near your chosen uni this could work for you?

The holiday should be fine as long as you give notice before hand; my centre would rota you in as normal but try to give you as little shifts as possible then put the shifts up for cover as soon as - during summer holidays and half term they all got covered immediately as people were looking for all the extra shifts they could get!

Hope this helps you
Reply 6
Original post by kj94
Hi, I worked for Explore for two years - you are usually required to work three shifts; two during the week and one at the weekend.. Weekday shifts are usually around four hours long between 3-8pm, and 10-6pm sat, 11-5pm sunday.. It isnt essential but flexibility is an important attribute and they tend to emphasise during their recruitment process. You dont get set amount of holiday hours as you get paid a percentage of your wages each month as 'holiday pay' therefore you can take as much holiday as you want in theory; therefore there is always a lot of cover up for people who wish to earn some extra cash.

The centre I worked at said they did not allow people to stay on as tutors when they move away to uni as they tend to get out of practise with the tutoring methods - although its extremely common to transfer to a different centre nearer your uni during term time.. and then to cover shifts at your home centre during the holidays as your constantly working at Explore. So if there is a centre near your chosen uni this could work for you?

The holiday should be fine as long as you give notice before hand; my centre would rota you in as normal but try to give you as little shifts as possible then put the shifts up for cover as soon as - during summer holidays and half term they all got covered immediately as people were looking for all the extra shifts they could get!

Hope this helps you

Hi, sorry I was just wondering if I could ask you a few questions...

1) Would I be able to take time off before exams so it wouldn't affect my studies? (Obviously all of the tutors are students but maybe some would be more flexible than me)
2) Can you explain what you means by the holiday pay bit? I don't understand what you mean :colondollar:
3)How much holiday a year is allowed? (If they're strictly following the rules)
4) Any tips for the interview?

THANKS! :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by LucyO_103
Hi, sorry I was just wondering if I could ask you a few questions...

1) Would I be able to take time off before exams so it wouldn't affect my studies? (Obviously all of the tutors are students but maybe some would be more flexible than me)
2) Can you explain what you means by the holiday pay bit? I don't understand what you mean :colondollar:
3)How much holiday a year is allowed? (If they're strictly following the rules)
4) Any tips for the interview?

THANKS! :biggrin:

Hey..
1. You can request time off for exams, but as its such a small team and everyone is students its very unlikely that they will take you off the rota completely for the exam period; usually they will rota you out your normal shifts or try and give you less where possible.. An then put them up on the cover sheet for other tutors to sign up for.. the exam period is usually the trickiest time to get cover for as everyone tends to be doing them at the same time but the managers are very understanding and try to help out where possible and most tutors will try and cover you/swap where possible

2. The holiday pay is a little confusing at first.. Technically you don't get any set amount of holidays you can take.. You can't book certain days off.. Instead you just need to find cover - you could take a whole month off technically if you were able to find cover for all your shifts. Because you don't have a certain amount of days holiday you won't ever get 'holiday pay'.. So they get around this by paying you 15% of your monthly hours on top as 'holiday pay' e.g... If you earned £200 one month for the hours you worked.. You would actually receive £230 as they would calculate 15% of the £200 and pay it to you for your holiday entitlement

3. As much as you want/can get covered

4. Just be relaxed; most of the questions are about child safety and they're pretty much common sense.. They do a role play and the manager pretends to be a child and you have to 'tutor' them through a question.. Usually a maths one.. Just take your time with it and break it down.. Try and make it interesting by like asking them their favourite pizza topping and using pizzas to illustrate your fraction question.. And let them hold the pen and dothe writing/ working out themselves.. They really like this! They want you to help them.. Not do it and let them watch! As long as your genuine and you show potential.. They're very understanding about nerves etc. try to be bubbly as its a very bubbly and upbeat role and it helps if you don't take yourself too seriously and your willing to do funny voices etc! Don't worry it all seems daunting at first.. But kids are the easiest people to work with!

good luck!
Reply 8
Original post by kj94
Hey..
1. You can request time off for exams, but as its such a small team and everyone is students its very unlikely that they will take you off the rota completely for the exam period; usually they will rota you out your normal shifts or try and give you less where possible.. An then put them up on the cover sheet for other tutors to sign up for.. the exam period is usually the trickiest time to get cover for as everyone tends to be doing them at the same time but the managers are very understanding and try to help out where possible and most tutors will try and cover you/swap where possible

2. The holiday pay is a little confusing at first.. Technically you don't get any set amount of holidays you can take.. You can't book certain days off.. Instead you just need to find cover - you could take a whole month off technically if you were able to find cover for all your shifts. Because you don't have a certain amount of days holiday you won't ever get 'holiday pay'.. So they get around this by paying you 15% of your monthly hours on top as 'holiday pay' e.g... If you earned £200 one month for the hours you worked.. You would actually receive £230 as they would calculate 15% of the £200 and pay it to you for your holiday entitlement

3. As much as you want/can get covered

4. Just be relaxed; most of the questions are about child safety and they're pretty much common sense.. They do a role play and the manager pretends to be a child and you have to 'tutor' them through a question.. Usually a maths one.. Just take your time with it and break it down.. Try and make it interesting by like asking them their favourite pizza topping and using pizzas to illustrate your fraction question.. And let them hold the pen and dothe writing/ working out themselves.. They really like this! They want you to help them.. Not do it and let them watch! As long as your genuine and you show potential.. They're very understanding about nerves etc. try to be bubbly as its a very bubbly and upbeat role and it helps if you don't take yourself too seriously and your willing to do funny voices etc! Don't worry it all seems daunting at first.. But kids are the easiest people to work with!

good luck!

Thanks SO much! I feel much more in the loop now :biggrin:
Reply 9
Hiya, I have an interview at Explore Learning tomorrow and I was wondering will they test our knowledge on maths like give us a test?
Original post by Nyesmin1
Hiya, I have an interview at Explore Learning tomorrow and I was wondering will they test our knowledge on maths like give us a test?

At my interview I was asked to imagine that my interviewer was a child and explain a subtraction problem to them but that was the only maths I had to do - there's definitely no written test or anything! As long as you have at least a B in GCSE Maths (which I guess you must if you've got an interview) you'll be fine :smile:

Good luck! If you have any more questions let me know and I'll try to answer them - I've worked there since September :smile:
Reply 11
Hi I was just wondering what kind of pay you get at Explore Learning if you don't mind me asking?
Hi, I work at explore learning and have been working for just over an year now. I get paid around £5 (I'm 19). How do their pay rates work, do you get paid more if you worked there longer? What do I have to do to get paid more?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by iheartdjokovic
At my interview I was asked to imagine that my interviewer was a child and explain a subtraction problem to them but that was the only maths I had to do - there's definitely no written test or anything! As long as you have at least a B in GCSE Maths (which I guess you must if you've got an interview) you'll be fine :smile:

Good luck! If you have any more questions let me know and I'll try to answer them - I've worked there since September :smile:

Hey, sorry to revive an old thread back. I'm currently trying to get a job at Explore Learning. How did you apply? Was it online or did you go to one of the centre's? Also the website says you need a B in maths and English. I got an A* in maths, C in English Language and a B in literature. Will that be fine? Also, how does the tutoring system work, do you tutor only one subject (maths or English) or do you teach both. Also, what's the ratio of students to tutor. And finally, do you have any tips for getting the job?

Thanks in advance.
Reply 14
Original post by Trivial Student
Hey, sorry to revive an old thread back. I'm currently trying to get a job at Explore Learning. How did you apply? Was it online or did you go to one of the centre's? Also the website says you need a B in maths and English. I got an A* in maths, C in English Language and a B in literature. Will that be fine? Also, how does the tutoring system work, do you tutor only one subject (maths or English) or do you teach both. Also, what's the ratio of students to tutor. And finally, do you have any tips for getting the job?

Thanks in advance.

Hi! I just applied yesterday, it was very simple and straightforward. Just go on the website and there'll be a 'Apply now' button standing out.
The ratio of children:tutors is 6:1.
I'm not sure about the rest but i hope i could help!
Good luck with your application, how old are you and what are you studying (if you don't mind me asking).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending