The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well at least you have cleaner innards.

If the problem persists, see a doctor, otherwise drink plenty of water and stop worrying about it. It's made to at least be a little drinkable.
Reply 2
I swallowed my cup once and just felt a bit sick afterwards, but it passed in a few hours.

Drink a lot of water (by the litre) and call up your doctor or NHS Direct.
Reply 3
Well at least you have cleaner innards.

LOL, thank you
Reply 4
Erm... seriously?
Reply 5
You will die
Reply 6
Original post by aranexus
Erm... seriously?

What do you mean?
Reply 7
Swallowing even a drop of listerine does make you feel bad :/ I'd ring nhs direct to check but I'm sure you'll be fine! :smile:
Reply 8
I thought this was a troll lol, but anyway you should be fine. Just drink something hot like coffee/hot chocolate it might clear your stomach and throat.
I really don't think it's going to have any real health impacts. The product wouldn't be allowed to be sold if it was dangerous when swallowed. It might hurt a bit (although I've swallowed mouthwash with no real issues) but it's definitely not dangerous.
As others have mentioned above, I wouldn't be too worried, else it wouldn't be allowed on the shelves! :biggrin:

Just use NHS-Direct and if the problems persist until tomorrow morning, ring your GP just for your peace of mind. :smile:
Reply 11
There is a group of old dudes that sit behind the bookmakers near where I live drink it by the bucketload, freshest smelling winos in Glasgow.
You will vomit your intestines and die in exactly 11 hours 49 minutes and 7 seconds unless you walk on your hands with your feet in the air for the rest of the day...

Or unless you call your doctor if your problem persists. I would have thought a small amount like that wouldn't do too much harm. Who knows, what you have just now might even be unrelated if it's taken so long to affect you.
Reply 13
Thanks to everyone for your help :smile: and sorry to anyone that thought i was a troll, i know it was a bit of a silly question! ive woken up today feeling much better, dont know why i got so worked up over it!
Reply 14
Original post by Razzamoly
You will vomit your intestines and die in exactly 11 hours 49 minutes and 7 seconds unless you walk on your hands with your feet in the air for the rest of the day...

:hmmmm2: Seems legit. :smug:
Reply 15
Its fine, relax. It is about the same danger as swallowing toothpaste. The only reason they say don't swallow is to avoid people trying to get drunk on it (because then the other chemicals will kill you first).
Reply 16
See your doctor/dentist
Original post by SpottedZebra
Hi guys,

Need a bit of advice...i was using listerine zero mouthwash and think i must have swallowed a bit. It must only have been a tiny bit (half a capful at most) so didnt think much of it at the time. But ive woke up with a horrible burning throat, a stomach ache and gurgly tummy and just generally feeling unwell.

What should i do?

Unless you downed the entire bottle, you'll be fine.

Swallowing a single dose (and you swallowed only half a cap) is largely harmless. They wouldn't be allowed to sell it for use in the mouth if it wasn't... You might have a funny tummy for a little while, but you should be fine.

Unless you have severe symptoms or the tummy pain persists for more than a few hours, you don't need to see your doctor or dentist. It just says that on the bottle as a legal disclaimer so you can't sue.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by lbsf1
Its fine, relax. It is about the same danger as swallowing toothpaste. The only reason they say don't swallow is to avoid people trying to get drunk on it (because then the other chemicals will kill you first).

Nope toothpaste is far more dangerous because it contains like 5 - 10 times as much fluoride.

And to OP you'll be fine, just don't make a habit outta it.
Reply 19
Original post by Daniel_R
Nope toothpaste is far more dangerous because it contains like 5 - 10 times as much fluoride.

And to OP you'll be fine, just don't make a habit outta it.

Oh right, thanks. I was basing my "toxicity" on them having the same amount of flouride.

Also something interesting I learnt, when you see in mouthwash it saying "denatured" alcohol it doesn't mean that that the alcohol won't make you drunk it just means that they have added a chemical that will kill you first. :wink:

Latest