The Student Room Group

Extended Level 3 diploma in Health and social care

Hello TSR,

I was wondering if basically some people could give me a run down of what the course consists of? Do I get choices of what to study? What kind of placements do you get? Do you have to organise them yourself or are there different options available to you? How difficult, If i stay organised and work hard etc, how difficult would it be to achieve DDD/DDM?

Many thanks to all replies in advance,

Dan.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dan7744
Hello TSR,

I was wondering if basically some people could give me a run down of what the course consists of? Do I get choices of what to study? What kind of placements do you get? Do you have to organise them yourself or are there different options available to you? How difficult, If i stay organised and work hard etc, how difficult would it be to achieve DDD/DDM?

Many thanks to all replies in advance,

Dan.

Hello.
I am currently in my 1st year of doing the course.
It's a 2 year course. The course has 18 units for students to study. I think you may get to swap some units around if needed (I think :confused:). You can go for any kind of placement such as a nursery placement, hospital placement, etc. I have to complete 300 hours over the 2 years (think it's the same for everywhere) and I've only got about another 90 hours to complete :biggrin: even though this is my 1st year. It is quite challenging and if you work hard you'll be able to get DDM/DDD. Just keep focused :smile:!
Reply 2
Original post by ohhello92x
Hello.
I am currently in my 1st year of doing the course.
It's a 2 year course. The course has 18 units for students to study. I think you may get to swap some units around if needed (I think :confused:). You can go for any kind of placement such as a nursery placement, hospital placement, etc. I have to complete 300 hours over the 2 years (think it's the same for everywhere) and I've only got about another 90 hours to complete :biggrin: even though this is my 1st year. It is quite challenging and if you work hard you'll be able to get DDM/DDD. Just keep focused :smile:!

Hey! Thanks for your reply!! Do you have to send off and apply for the placements yourself or do they have the placements available, and you just go to them (are they already organised?) And I will be focused! :biggrin:
Original post by Dan7744
Hey! Thanks for your reply!! Do you have to send off and apply for the placements yourself or do they have the placements available, and you just go to them (are they already organised?) And I will be focused! :biggrin:

Your welcome :biggrin:! I had to find the placement myself, but the placement officer at my college has a list of placements that we can go to if we struggle to find one :redface:! Before you start your placement, you pretty much have to arrange to go in to your chosen placement and go through what you're going to do, know about health and safety, etc. Awesome :biggrin:!
Reply 4
Hard work basically but the end reward motivated me to achieve in the first year and the same this year nearly finished now tbh :smile: if your prepared to work hard you'll get the highest grade :smile: am on target to achieve D*D*D* but that through hard work and basically having no life but college work for the first year. Get your placement organised early and completed then its not rushed and its out the way. Good Luck
Original post by lgfreelance
Hard work basically but the end reward motivated me to achieve in the first year and the same this year nearly finished now tbh :smile: if your prepared to work hard you'll get the highest grade :smile: am on target to achieve D*D*D* but that through hard work and basically having no life but college work for the first year. Get your placement organised early and completed then its not rushed and its out the way. Good Luck

That's good :smile:! Tbh I have no life atm apart from work and college work :cool: but it'll all pay off in the end :redface:! I'm over half way there with my hours for placement but college are still expecting my class to still go to placement even if we complete our hours :confused:!
Reply 6
when you've completed your hours theres no need to carry on your placement.
Original post by lgfreelance
when you've completed your hours theres no need to carry on your placement.

Yeah, but at my college their forcing us to continue to do placement after we do 300 hours :/! But when I first started the course they were like oh you can stop doing placement after you've done 300 hours now their like oh you have to carry on but you can do one day placement and other day as study day!
Reply 8
Ive just completed my level 3 extended as it was an experiment year to see if it could be dont in 18 months. It cant. At my college when people had done all their placement hours we didnt have to carry on even if we hadnt finished at that placement as it was freeing spaces up for first years. You dont get to choose the units you study or swap them. It is a lot of hard work. Keep on top of your first year work and you'll sail through second. There are people having to go in in these holidays to finish because they still had first year unit work to do/resub as well as second year. Make sure you get everything you can for 6/44 at my college they link them together i dont know how other places do it but get all your observations, witness statements,reviews,information on the setting, more info on specific dieseases conditions service users have. Placement diaries too! make sure that its done when you get home after placement or you'll be sat with 2 weeks to finish making up stuff to write in them. Ive tried to be honest but not completely scare you and think what the hell have i got myself in for here its an amazing achievement when youre done and gives you great experience that will look good on C.Vs and personal statement. If there's anything else you want to know feel free to ask and i'll do the best i can
Original post by Ashmj92
Ive just completed my level 3 extended as it was an experiment year to see if it could be dont in 18 months. It cant. At my college when people had done all their placement hours we didnt have to carry on even if we hadnt finished at that placement as it was freeing spaces up for first years. You dont get to choose the units you study or swap them. It is a lot of hard work. Keep on top of your first year work and you'll sail through second. There are people having to go in in these holidays to finish because they still had first year unit work to do/resub as well as second year. Make sure you get everything you can for 6/44 at my college they link them together i dont know how other places do it but get all your observations, witness statements,reviews,information on the setting, more info on specific dieseases conditions service users have. Placement diaries too! make sure that its done when you get home after placement or you'll be sat with 2 weeks to finish making up stuff to write in them. Ive tried to be honest but not completely scare you and think what the hell have i got myself in for here its an amazing achievement when youre done and gives you great experience that will look good on C.Vs and personal statement. If there's anything else you want to know feel free to ask and i'll do the best i can

It sounds like you're getting time to upgrade on work you haven't achieved on. On one of the units I did in the first term, we were getting pressured on big time to upgrade during the last week of term before the Easter as the EV is coming in D:! But it feels like I don't even know what I have & haven't done as the main tutor takes ages to mark work. But the other tutor does actually give us work back and the other tutor is a volunteer :/!
Reply 10
Yea we had 2 basically at the end that was all for uprgrading to make sure me atleast passed on all units and then again for those needing extra credits for uni. It was the same at my college some tutors had work marked back to you within a week and a half others i was chasing after 5 weeks for work! The pressure is crap when they want work in as theres so much for all the units. Take it and use it positively you will be thankful for it when you get signed off on time with no outstanding work and having to stay after your actual finish date. I got so confused as to what id done and what i hadnt so i completely understand there my tutor was asking what i was handing in and i didnt have a clue anymore because i was basically just churning out assignment after assignment. What units have you done in your first year?
Original post by Ashmj92
Yea we had 2 basically at the end that was all for uprgrading to make sure me atleast passed on all units and then again for those needing extra credits for uni. It was the same at my college some tutors had work marked back to you within a week and a half others i was chasing after 5 weeks for work! The pressure is crap when they want work in as theres so much for all the units. Take it and use it positively you will be thankful for it when you get signed off on time with no outstanding work and having to stay after your actual finish date. I got so confused as to what id done and what i hadnt so i completely understand there my tutor was asking what i was handing in and i didnt have a clue anymore because i was basically just churning out assignment after assignment. What units have you done in your first year?

Yeah I'm just confused now ahaa :/! So far I've done units 1 - 5, started on unit 6, done unit 10 & 11, briefly done unit 7 but the tutor I had for that left so now my class has to wait for finish off unit 7 and then obviously unit 44 for the placement and that's it so far. You?
Reply 12
We did 1-11 14, 20 21 22 and 28 but it was so mixed up we did big units like 10 and 11 in my last year where we would have been better in the first year when we had more time

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ashmj92
We did 1-11 14, 20 21 22 and 28 but it was so mixed up we did big units like 10 and 11 in my last year where we would have been better in the first year when we had more time

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that would've been easier if you did that.
The annoying thing is with the text books have a mixture of the units in each book, and unit 10&11 is in book 2 and I still need to order that so that was out of the window of when I did them two units as that would've helped me as a resource /:
Reply 14
Oh tell me about it, having lug both books into college plus your file on days when you have units in both books was a nightmare. Ive literally just put my books on amazon to sell the other day
Original post by Ashmj92
Oh tell me about it, having lug both books into college plus your file on days when you have units in both books was a nightmare. Ive literally just put my books on amazon to sell the other day

Exactly it's a pain. If I'd have known that the units were mixed up in both books I would've brought book 2 when I brought book 1. But I'll just wait till payday until I get book 2 from amazon :colondollar:! But it is a pain though :rolleyes:
Reply 16
Thanks for all your replies guys, i have decided on health science instead. Thanks guys, please carry on your convo :biggrin: again, thanks for your comments.
Original post by Dan7744
Thanks for all your replies guys, i have decided on health science instead. Thanks guys, please carry on your convo :biggrin: again, thanks for your comments.

Your welcome :biggrin:
Ahh okay, have fun doing the course :redface:
Your welcome :smile:
Hello. My 16 year old son is due to start this Extended Diploma in September. Can I ask? Is Monday [for example] all just one unit the whole day with the tutor of that unit,Tuesday, a different unit with a different tutor, etc? Just wondering what way it will work out. The only reference point I personally have is the one day a week BTEC HNC in Health and Social Care I did. It was all day Thursday.We had one tutor for Communication in the morning, a different tutor at about 11.30 for something else. A different tutor for a different unit after lunch then finally I remember it was working with elderly people last thing in the afternoon from about 3pm until 5.30pm. It was a long,tiring old day, but they had to fit the equivalent of a full time course into the one day for us, so naturally,there was a lot to cover. So, for my son,who will be Full Time. How does this work, if anyone can tell me, on a daily basis.Thank you.
Original post by markova21
Hello. My 16 year old son is due to start this Extended Diploma in September. Can I ask? Is Monday [for example] all just one unit the whole day with the tutor of that unit,Tuesday, a different unit with a different tutor, etc? Just wondering what way it will work out. The only reference point I personally have is the one day a week BTEC HNC in Health and Social Care I did. It was all day Thursday.We had one tutor for Communication in the morning, a different tutor at about 11.30 for something else. A different tutor for a different unit after lunch then finally I remember it was working with elderly people last thing in the afternoon from about 3pm until 5.30pm. It was a long,tiring old day, but they had to fit the equivalent of a full time course into the one day for us, so naturally,there was a lot to cover. So, for my son,who will be Full Time. How does this work, if anyone can tell me, on a daily basis.Thank you.

What I'm doing, I have 3 different tutors doing different units. Sometimes we do a unit a whole day, or do one unit in the morning and another in the afternoon :smile:! I do 2 and a half days, and one of the afternoons had been GCSE re take classes :smile: and the other two days are placement days :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply