What's your honest opinion about bisexuality? What does it mean to you?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Pokrok
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi everyone.

I was wondering what is everyone's perception of bisexuality? What do you think it is? Also, what opinion do you have on the subject?

I'm 16 and I'm bisexual. Of course I have learnt that not everyone sees bisexuality as the same thing so I'd just to grasp what other people believe it is and whether they support it or oppose it. Feel free to give your honest opinion, whether positive or negative, as long as you give a reason why. Not everyone has to agree or disagree. For me, I'd like to know what people would assume when I tell I'm bisexual, so this will be interesting for me to consider.

Personally, I'm for bisexuality (because I am one), but I think people misinterpret it quite a lot. I see a lot of people who believe I'm gay or curious when I genuinely cannot tell the difference in terms of attraction between males and females. I tend to like a person because they have a particular aspect about them that I like, but whether they are male or female, I'm not bothered the slightest. That's my opinion.

Thanks for any input. Remember, be honest and explain why.
mikeyd85
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Bisexual: A person who can be sexually attracted to any individual, regardless of gender.

Best of both worlds! :awesome:
Misstery
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think bisexuality is awesome. I don't know if I would strictly identify as bisexual myself (that's another story!) but I think tbh it would make more sense if bisexuality was just the norm. If you only find yourself attracted to girls or guys, then cool, but why limit yourself with the label?
LexiswasmyNexis
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Pokrok)
Hi everyone.

I was wondering what is everyone's perception of bisexuality? What do you think it is? Also, what opinion do you have on the subject?

I'm 16 and I'm bisexual. Of course I have learnt that not everyone sees bisexuality as the same thing so I'd just to grasp what other people believe it is and whether they support it or oppose it. Feel free to give your honest opinion, whether positive or negative, as long as you give a reason why. Not everyone has to agree or disagree. For me, I'd like to know what people would assume when I tell I'm bisexual, so this will be interesting for me to consider.

Personally, I'm for bisexuality (because I am one), but I think people misinterpret it quite a lot. I see a lot of people who believe I'm gay or curious when I genuinely cannot tell the difference in terms of attraction between males and females. I tend to like a person because they have a particular aspect about them that I like, but whether they are male or female, I'm not bothered the slightest. That's my opinion.

Thanks for any input. Remember, be honest and explain why.
Bisexuality is fine. As is homosexuality and heterosexuality. I have no problem with people of any sexual orientation.

That said, every bisexual person I've ever met (or dated) has been a bit odd in the head in other respects. I'm not surprised when others assume bisexuals are more prone to depressive illnesses/attention disorders.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Iron Lady
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by LexiswasmyNexis)
That said, every bisexual person I've ever met (or dated) has been a bit odd in the head in other respects. I'm not surprised when others assume bisexuals are more prone to depressive illnesses/attention disorders.
Can you explain "odd in the head" with examples, please?
TruetoMyself
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
threesome with two lasses
username865376
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't have an opinion on bisexuality per se; it's just another sexual orientation. :dontknow:
LexiswasmyNexis
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Iron Lady)
Can you explain "odd in the head" with examples, please?
1. Friend at school who had some kind of identity crisis and failed GCSEs

2. Cousin who tried to commit suicide several times as a result of her sexuality

3. Obnoxious knob at uni who thought the world revolved around him and his particular view of the world

4.Ex gf who claimed her bisexuality have her a 'male's' sexual appetite and has, as a supposed result, never managed not to cheat on a partner if either gender

5. Ex gf's friends who were, to my mind, just bizarre overly sexualised individuals

I'm not saying there is any kind of 'correlation' with bisexuality at all; it's just an observation I've made amongst a select group of people. It is one I have heard others mention as well.

I mean no offence.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ZRO
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well Frank Ocean is bisexual.... and his music is amazing. He could be classed as a famous Bi-sexual o.0
Care-Free
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
i think people would call me bisexual but i dont, i fall for who i fall for and i suppose there's an equal chance of it being a man or a woman..i dont care who i fall for as long as we're happy and safe and not hurting anyone...
BefuddledPenguin
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I class myself as bi because whilst I am for the most part straight, I occasionally fancy guys, once I fancied this guy to such an extent I mistakenly came out as gay. I only fancy one person at a time, and on this occasion that person was a guy, ergo I'm bisexual. It's no more complex than that really.
AspiringGenius
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm (albeit slightly) Bi and I enjoy the idea of finding something about both genders sexually attractive.
Jakeh
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Bisexuality to me, means you enjoy having sexual activities with both sex, not necessarily love as I'd say thats bi-romantic. It's just enjoy the sexual activities.
Ice_Fire
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I identify as Bisexual, so I think it's fine! Lol.

I just see myself and others who are 'Bi' as being attracted to a particular person, regardless of that person's gender.

Those who use being Bisexual as a 'reason' to cheat on their partners or excuse overly promiscuous behaviour are just irresponsible people who have no self control. And it winds me up because the misconception that Bi people are cheaters is something that I've found to be so widespread it's ridiculous.
gagaslilmonsteruk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think Bisexuality makes it easier as a whole to be accepted (obviously there are still prejudices which exist against us) and if Bisexuality was the norm (which in my opinion it kind of is), it would help gays and lesbians to be accepted even more.

However, I've said this before and I will say it again, Bisexuality isn't a neat half and half as people would imagine. Some people are majority gay/lesbian and minority straight (like myself), whereas it is majority straight and minority gay/lesbian like others. And then there are those who are pretty much right in the middle.

I don't like people who use bisexuality as an excuse or stereotype against it. However, I don't mind those who see coming out as Bi being a pathway to discovering what people think before you come out as gay/lesbian. I can completely understand that, and that's fine.

Yet, I do feel whilst as a whole acceptance towards bisexuality is growing, we really need to pay more attention to our transgender friends and allies as we gays, bis, lesbians face nowhere near as much hostility as what they do anymore. Whilst we are pretty much nearing the end of reaching equality, they face a long road ahead still, and we need to support them, like they have supported us.
Care-Free
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Ice_Fire)
I identify as Bisexual, so I think it's fine! Lol.

I just see myself and others who are 'Bi' as being attracted to a particular person, regardless of that person's gender.

Those who use being Bisexual as a 'reason' to cheat on their partners or excuse overly promiscuous behaviour are just irresponsible people who have no self control. And it winds me up because the misconception that Bi people are cheaters is something that I've found to be so widespread it's ridiculous.
Thats how i feel too..to the extent i dont even consider myself bi..i feel attracted to people regardless of gender rather than because of gender..if that makes sense?
Ursin
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Nothing wrong with it. In fact isn't it nice to have that freedom, in a way?!
(Original post by ZRO)
Well Frank Ocean is bisexual.... and his music is amazing. He could be classed as a famous Bi-sexual o.0
Also Frank Ocean is a don.
firaWhoops
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Bisexuality to me means someone is confused and doesn't really know whether they're straight or gay. It's a disorder in my opinion.

And before the negs, OP asked for an honest opinion.
IlluminatedRain
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by mikeyd85)
Bisexual: A person who can be sexually attracted to any individual, regardless of gender.

Best of both worlds! :awesome:
By definition, that's actually pansexuality. Bisexuality is just concerned with males and females.
Linnerzx
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've been told that I am Bisexual, because I've kissed girls, and gone a bit further on two occasions. My ex and best friend have been like 'are you SURE you aren't bi?' but I'm positive I'm straight. I appreciate the sexy women in our world, but I know I want to be in a relationship with a man. I can enjoy kissing girls (or whatever) but I have no desire to be in a committed relationship with one. Therefore I think I'm straight. It's sort of frustrating though when other people I know are trying to tell me that I am bisexual... what does it even matter anyway!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (197)
57.43%
I don't have everything I need (146)
42.57%

Watched Threads