The Student Room Group

How Safe is London for Students?

Scroll to see replies

Nope, I'd say it's in Camden, and the fact that I live in WC1H with Camden Town Hall a 3 minute walk from me is perfect justification of it's positioning.

Anyhows, can you please give me a link to where you're getting these figures from, and their relative breakdown, as I'd rather look over them myselves, as arbitrary statistics can often be very misleading, and I have more than enough experience (having taken advanced Probability and Statistics modules at University) to be able to/want to sort through them myself. Cheers. :smile:
walshie
It affects students more so than in house drug taking, thus the reason why I think Westminster would be the worst borough for students to reside or go to University in. The statistics isn't a methodology or opinion, its factual, even if it doesn't count for population etc.

Westminster has the highest crime rate, simply because that's where most people are. Despite having a small "live-in" population, it's where loads of people work, visit the sights, go shopping and go to college. To say that KCL on The Strand is in a dangerous place is laughable. :wink:
Reply 22
Angel Interceptor
Nope, I'd say it's in Camden, and the fact that I live in WC1H with Camden Town Hall a 3 minute walk from me is perfect justification of it's positioning.

Anyhows, can you please give me a link to where you're getting these figures from, and their relative breakdown, as I'd rather look over them myselves, as arbitrary statistics can often be very misleading, and I have more than enough experience (having taken advanced Probability and Statistics modules at University) to be able to/want to sort through them myself. Cheers. :smile:

I''ll give you a link no problem. I'll upload a spreadsheet soon.
Post codes don't mean anything. UCL is on the border of Westminster Borough, with only a couple minute walk to Oxford Street W1. To Camden, it would take you a little longer.

dazmanultra
Westminster has the highest crime rate, simply because that's where most people are. Despite having a small "live-in" population, it's where loads of people work, visit the sights, go shopping and go to college. To say that KCL on The Strand is in a dangerous place is laughable. :wink:

I didn't ay it was!
I'm saying to all those pompous sods who think QMUL or Goldsmiths is in a worse area, think again!
Out of all Uni's in London post code, QMUL is in one of the safest boroughs.

I've just simply put up these stats, so that all people can stop having a dig at an area they no nothing about. As I pretty much live just off the Marylebone Road myself, I know very well what crime Westminster entails. And its no surprise to see harassment, buglary and other street crime high on the list. The only other thing I'm staggered about, is the figures on car crime. I would of expected that to be higher.

I would easily say this, your more likely to be a victim of crime by going to UCL, KCL, SOAS than you are QMUL. Simple fact.
walshie

I would easily say this, your more likely to be a victim of crime by going to UCL, KCL, SOAS than you are QMUL. Simple fact.

Where's QMUL? Mile end is the area... is that Tower Hamlets borough? You're living in Disneyland if you think your statement is true.

http://www.upmystreet.com/local/police-crime/figures/l/WC2R+2LS.html
http://www.upmystreet.com/local/police-crime/figures/l/E1+4NS.html

The stats are pretty similar... Consider that Westminster's stats are skewed by the fact that not many people live there compared to the number of people that visit/work there each day though. Each day I'd expect the number of people in the borough of Westminster to rise to double it's natural population at the minimum due to tourists and people going to work. Because of the huge number of "visitors" to the borough, the amount of crime in Westminster is disproportionately skewed per 1000 that actually live there.
I don't think OP was asking for statistics. I think he was asking for experience.
Reply 25
Yeah London has crime, prob more than any other British city cos its bigger! But if ur sensible its fine. Stuff will happen. I have known a few people have near misses but like its been said before, don't go walking around flashing stuff, try to avoid dark alleyways etc. Common sense really. On 1 hand I feel safer in some areas of London cos its busier at night than home. Don't worry about it unduly, its not that bad & u soon get to know areas around u that aren't as great as others! I live in Camden, there have been several incident boards around but stuff happens in other places outside London too. Just live ur life without taking unnecessary risks
well i dont think london is any more dangerous than any other large city. you have to keep you wits about you, but as long as you dont put yourself in any risky situations and keep an eye on your belongings at all times then you should be fine. there will always be someone in the wrong place at the wrong time but you can really minimise your chances by being sensible. i have lived here for 4 years and have been fine- touch wood. but 2 of my mates have had their handbags stolen- they weren't really loking after them though!!
Reply 27
Apparently Nottingham is the most dangerous place to go to University in the UK. So London seems fine.
Provided you are sensible, you are fine.
Reply 29
dazmanultra
Where's QMUL? Mile end is the area... is that Tower Hamlets borough? You're living in Disneyland if you think your statement is true.

http://www.upmystreet.com/local/police-crime/figures/l/WC2R+2LS.html
http://www.upmystreet.com/local/police-crime/figures/l/E1+4NS.html

The stats are pretty similar... Consider that Westminster's stats are skewed by the fact that not many people live there compared to the number of people that visit/work there each day though. Each day I'd expect the number of people in the borough of Westminster to rise to double it's natural population at the minimum due to tourists and people going to work. Because of the huge number of "visitors" to the borough, the amount of crime in Westminster is disproportionately skewed per 1000 that actually live there.

I'll give you some proper figures, direct from the Metropolitan Police :rolleyes:

Oh - your stats are still stating that QMUL is in a safer area :rolleyes:

See attached.
walshie
I'll give you some proper figures, direct from the Metropolitan Police :rolleyes:

Oh - your stats are still stating that QMUL is in a safer area :rolleyes:

See attached.

Wise up mate - 658 versus 608 offences against the person. Consider the number of people in Westminster each and every day, versus the number of people in Tower Hamlets. Like I said:

Reply 31
dazmanultra
Wise up mate - 658 versus 608 offences against the person. Consider the number of people in Westminster each and every day, versus the number of people in Tower Hamlets. Like I said:

Your still not getting it! I'm amazed.

It doesn't matter how many people reside in Westminster, the fact remains, you're more liable to become a victim of crime within the borough or Camden! whichever you so suitably prefer, which speaks volumes.

Do you want me to put up the whole years results and really embarass you?

You're also taking from one specific column. Interpret the whole lot. The only one who needs wising up to the idea, is yourself and anyone else who can't understand that UCL the brilliant institution that it is, along with SOAS, KCL, LSE etc, is in a statistically worse area for crime.
Reply 32
President_Ben
Provided you are sensible, you are fine.

Best advice so far.
Socrates
Best advice so far.

Liar! My advice was far better, and somewhat more amusing. :wink:
Reply 34
It was short and to the point. :wink:
walshie

It doesn't matter how many people reside in Westminster, the fact remains,

Yes it does, hence "per 1000 statistics" which show Westminster as having a slightly higher crime rate per 1000 people living in the borough.

you're more liable to become a victim of crime within the borough or Camden! whichever you so suitably prefer, which speaks volumes.

However, you have to consider that not everybody in Westminster lives there. Westminster is a special case, namely because of the absolutely enormous amount of visitors each day, thus the "per 1000" people living there stats are skewed, and cannot be used. Thus the total number of crimes performed in the borough is higher, because a hell of a lot more people are there visiting and working every single day (think Oxford Street, Regent Street, Houses of Parliament, Leicester Square, Picadilly Circus etc). I'm trying to find a figure for the number of people in the borough each day, but google isn't coming up with many results. We'll have to agree to disagree I suppose. :wink:

Anyway, like I said - you should keep your wits about you wherever you are in London, and probably every other big city in the UK and even the world.
Reply 36
dazmanultra
Yes it does, hence "per 1000 statistics" which show Westminster as having a slightly higher crime rate per 1000 people living in the borough.

Where does it say 'per 1000 statistics' whatever that is supposed to mean?
The amount of murders in March 06 is 1. Not 1 per 1000 people or per 1000 statistics. Read the chart, and take the figure; simple :smile:
No dispute.

dazmanultra
However, you have to consider that not everybody in Westminster lives there. Westminster is a special case, namely because of the absolutely enormous amount of visitors each day, thus the "per 1000" people living there stats are skewed, and cannot be used. Thus the total number of crimes performed in the borough is higher, because a hell of a lot more people are there visiting and working every single day (think Oxford Street, Regent Street, Houses of Parliament, Leicester Square, Picadilly Circus etc). I'm trying to find a figure for the number of people in the borough each day, but google isn't coming up with many results. We'll have to agree to disagree I suppose. :wink:

Mate, I live in Westminster! I know how many visitors Westminster gets (more so W1 area) and what the crime is like. I just have to look in my local paper.

Why do you still not get it?

It doesn't matter if Westminster had 10,000 population. The fact remains, that it has a million visitors a day easy. With those million visitors that are entering the borough of Westminster, you will get increased crime. What do you not get about it? I'm struggling.

If all the 'trouble makers' resided in Richmond Upon Thames, but 80% of them travelled into Westminster (say both had the same population) each day, and crime was more in Westminster than it was Richmond, then quite clearly, the worse place would be Westminster, not Richmond. The acatual place of crime is taking place in Westminster.
Reply 37
dazmanultra

Anyway, like I said - you should keep your wits about you wherever you are in London, and probably every other big city in the UK and even the world.

I've been watching this thread closely. Your fighting a losing battle.:egg:
The figures are silly. Affluent districts often have higher crime rates than some absolute cess-pits because a) car jacking and burglary are more profitable there and b) nobody reports being ****ted on in a cess-pit. You're still more likely to get knifed where charvas roam than in the land of stockbrokers...
Reply 39
PrinceOfCats
The figures are silly. Affluent districts often have higher crime rates than some absolute cess-pits because a) car jacking and burglary are more profitable there and b) nobody reports being ****ted on in a cess-pit. You're still more likely to get knifed where charvas roam than in the land of stockbrokers...

Evidence please.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending