The Student Room Group

How Safe is London for Students?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
read the times today, big report out on crime in the UK.
London (according to stats of crimes per capita) is 29th most dangerous city in UK, yes 29th.
Reply 61
^ Per Capita, I could well believe it.

I bet Glasgow is 1st, followed by Hull and Liverpool. I just have a feeling :biggrin:
Overall, for the amount of crime, London would come miles on top of everyone else.
Reply 62
andyms
lol So I guess i'll have trouble getting used to living in London eh?
Here in Cyprus crime is almost non-existant. Except some neighborhoods.
Murders, you hear on the news once in two years lol.
Stealing is a bit more common, even though on the whole you live without any fear.

Now here's my question. Will I, having lived in Cyprus for the last 18 years, be able to "adapt", or get used to the high-crime life of London?
City life, I love, but crime I am kinda worried about.

Cheers :smile:

Statistics look daunting; but really, its unoticeable, unless you're walking around the borough of Southwark or Lambeth with a death wish at 00:00hrs.
London's a piece of cake. In my life and living in Central (West End) London myself, I have been involved with not a lot of crime.
Reply 63
walshie
^ Per Capita, I could well believe it.

I bet Glasgow is 1st, followed by Hull and Liverpool. I just have a feeling :biggrin:
Overall, for the amount of crime, London would come miles on top of everyone else.

Nottingham, Leeds, Stockport, Bradford, Manchester are top 5
jimmydoerre3
i am sure its fine, i mean i lived in new york and then DC the murder capital and then houston and i am sure london is going to be like extremely safe compared to these places. seriously, its not that bad, just watch out a bit and don't do stupid things and you will be fine, i mean new york is suppose to be extremely dangerous and it was totally fine.

DC is NOT the so-called "murder capital" of the US- your information is about 10 years out of date.
Reply 65
Colly
Nottingham, Leeds, Stockport, Bradford, Manchester are top 5

Where did my 3 guesses come? Oh - Glasgow includes Paisley, and Liverpool surrounding areas :smile:
Reply 66
Hull 12th, Liverpool 21st, no Glasgow its just England and Wales.
Reply 67
Looks like London's gonna be a respite from the streets of Shottingham then :biggrin:
Reply 68
I am looking at KCLs Strand Campus, how safe is that area?
Reply 69
parag
Looks like London's gonna be a respite from the streets of Shottingham then :biggrin:
Given the choice between Nottingham and London, I would choose the latter every day of the week. Nottingham terrifies me.
Does anybody have the link to the website that has these figures on?
Reply 71
kirstinx
I am looking at KCLs Strand Campus, how safe is that area?

The area itself seems as safe as all of those in the borough of Westminster. Next to the City as well (being half mile away). Officially, it does come in a borough which is worse than any other London Borough for crime figures, but it seems somehow ludicrous. All London Uni's are pretty much as safe as houses. Chance of being stood at knife point or having a serious crime against you are minimal, but chances of a theft are quite high, as long as you don't act like a beacon to theft.

ilikebricks
Does anybody have the link to the website that has these figures on?

I put up a pdf file on the figures as this website doesn't allow spreadsheet files.
Your biggest risk around the Strand is probably pick pockets tbh. Nothing violent, just be careful as you would do in any tourist areas anywhere in the world.
dazmanultra
Your biggest risk around the Strand is probably pick pockets tbh. Nothing violent, just be careful as you would do in any tourist areas anywhere in the world.

My mother was pickpocketed in London, probably at an underground station, Holborn we think. The thief was an expert, neither my mother nor I noticed a thing until more than two hours later. She looked for her wallet to pay for the restaurant bill, and it was gone. She had had the wallet out in that station to pay for a farecard, then put it back into her bag and zipped it up. We reported it to the police, not because we expected any resolution, but for statistical purposes- the police were very nice about it and agreed, there are some very skilled thieves operating in some areas. An untraumatic incident, but annoying and time consuming to cancel all the cards and replace the IDs. In the restaurant, there was even a comical side...the bill arrives, then the reaching for your wallet, going through all your pockets, your daughter doing the same...oops! Where's the money? Chaplinesque.
Reply 74
Speaking of London safety, there were two murders yesterday - one on Upper Street and the other near Finsbury Park station - at around 7pm.
Socrates
Speaking of London safety, there were two murders yesterday - one on Upper Street and the other near Finsbury Park station - at around 7pm.

I thought they were shootings, not murders?
Reply 76
Heard it on the radio in passing, so you may be right.
dazmanultra
I thought they were shootings, not murders?

Well that's a relief.
Reply 78
2 double shottings. One person still critically ill, so could turn into a murder enquiry.

"Its not a borough with a lot of murders" says one detective inpsepctor. Well there was one in March, do you think that's not enough?

1 a month = 12 a year and that equals way too many IMO.

And the borough of Islington doesn't figure low on the list either.

Worst place has to be Edgware so far. 3 murders within a 5 mile radius within 2 weeks. Not doing too bad. Still yet to beat Wood Green's tally in December 2004 which was impressive. I think IIRC it was like 9 potential murders in 2 weeks. Don't know how many actually got murdered, but still, its appalling.
It's quite amazing the amount of things that go on that never make the news.
You'd be scared to go out if you knew everything that was going on.

I'm still not convinced that Tower Hamlets is safer than Westminster.... but let's let bygones be bygones. :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending