The Student Room Group

Doc Martens on girls

What are your opinion on them? I got a pair of black Doc Martens and I LOVE them, unfortunately they hurt like hell (any tips on how to break them in artificially instead of having to walk in them? Lol) but what do you guys think? Do they look too masculine on girls?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
They look quite nice on girls if worn with the correct stuff, plus they are really great quality shoes. Unfortunately the best way to break them in is to walk in them so just suffer it through shall be worth it in the end haha
Reply 2
My friend has a pair which she wears to school with a skirt and she actually looks really cute in them. I've been thinking of getting a pair myself :biggrin:
My docs are the most comfortable shoes I have ever had!
I really like them. They wouldn't suit my style but I think they look good on people that suit wearing them.
I own two pairs and I'm buying a third - the only way to break them in is to walk in them. If you haven't bled for them, you aren't deserving of them :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons
I own two pairs and I'm buying a third - the only way to break them in is to walk in them. If you haven't bled for them, you aren't deserving of them :biggrin:

Hahaha true, I've lost so much skin on my heels though, I've waited a week until I can even consider trying them on again they've caused me such crippling pain :biggrin: How long did it take you to break em in?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JodieW
Hahaha true, I've lost so much skin on my heels though, I've waited a week until I can even consider trying them on again they've caused me such crippling pain :biggrin: How long did it take you to break em in?

Posted from TSR Mobile

My first pair are softer leather, so only like, a week or so, but my other pair are really rigid even now and sometimes give me grief. :biggrin: About a month for them until they were properly comfortable.

I have scars on the back of my ankles and heels XD
Reply 8
Wear what's comfortable :smile: I don't think the opinions of others should have any impact on what you wear :smile:
Original post by JodieW
What are your opinion on them? I got a pair of black Doc Martens and I LOVE them, unfortunately they hurt like hell (any tips on how to break them in artificially instead of having to walk in them? Lol) but what do you guys think? Do they look too masculine on girls?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wear slipper socks or two pairs of normal socks with them, no more pain hopefully :biggrin:

I love mine, they're so good in the winter, especially when it's icy or snowing.
Reply 10
I think they look cute. I have a pair of shin high patent red doc martens.

I also have a couple of pairs of their more 'girly' shoes, some high heeled platform ankle boots and so high heeled sandals :smile:

They're my most comfortable shoes :biggrin:
I wear them most days - so so comfortable!! For breaking in wear a thin pair of socks with a thick pair over the top, walking boot socks are the best, and then rubbing Vaseline on the inside where they rub and baby oil on the outside, to soften the leather, then buff them and use leather polish to keep them looking nice :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I personally don't like doc martins on boys or girls :/ but that's my fashion taste I guess

Posted from TSR Mobile
I love my doc's! I own 1 pair of boots and 3 shoes, I personally think that breaking into the shoes were alot more painful but that might be because the boots are soft leather. I wear mainly skirts & dresses with my doc's & I wear black socks over tights to you can't see them but they do take a while to break in but after that they are so comfy!
Reply 14
I have a cherry red pair, which I love, but really don't enjoy wearing because of how heavy they are. :frown: I know they need breaking in, but I can't bring myself to wear them enough, they exhaust my legs!
Reply 15
DM's are so stylish when worn with the right outfit. Vaseline is the best way to soften the insides.
I have 15 pairs in a variety of leathers/shapes/colours. To break in the old school thick leather (usually the traditionally designed shapes and colours) put a pair of socks on, lace your boots tight and then get in the shower. Get them absolutely soaked inside and out and then go about your day. Don't take them off for about 24 hours (I sleep in mine when breaking them in) or until they're dry and they'll be softer and moulded to the shape of your feet. I've done it with all hard-leather docs and it's worked brilliantly. You can also stuff them with wet newspaper. Or if you're feeling brave you can cover them with a cloth and hammer them gently but I wouldn't recommend that for the fancier ones (but they're usually soft leather anyway).

You probably don't need to do this with the soft leather ones. Just wear them with thicker socks or just stuff the toe area with wet newspaper and wear a plaster on the heel.

Don't forget to polish those babies every so often!
Reply 17
Dont care about what others think fashion is about you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got a pair of real Docs last summer on Ebay. Best comfortable shoes ever :biggrin:
I don't particularly like them on girls tbh.

Quick Reply

Latest