migraine relief Watch

This discussion is closed.
Ladygemini
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Hi Ive been suffering for about a year now and have tried many preventatives and pain killers.

I have been refered to the neurology department for some tests still awaiting appointment.

My concern at the moment is that I have been taking Solphodol pain killers for about 6 months and they helped to start with but seemed to have lost effect I have been recently prescribed Paramax which do nothing at all.

I have asthma so can only try certain tablets can anyone advise on Paramax.

I willing to do anything now I suffer from constant haedaches and pain.

Thanks
Katie J
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Ladygemini)
Hi Ive been suffering for about a year now and have tried many preventatives and pain killers.

I have been refered to the neurology department for some tests still awaiting appointment.

My concern at the moment is that I have been taking Solphodol pain killers for about 6 months and they helped to start with but seemed to have lost effect I have been recently prescribed Paramax which do nothing at all.

Thanks
Sounds bizzare but ask your dentist for a gum sheild! I had one for years & it really helped. There's a possible (unproven) link between tension from teeth gritting at night to migraines. The muscles in your forehead take the worst of it! It's worth a try at least!
FlutterByKisses
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Have you tried any aromatherapy type stuff? It sometimes works. Lavender oil is pratically good for anything, and rosemary oil helps me with my headaches. It might work for you, but some people say that it doesn't help at all.
Perdurabo
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Try 'The Art of True Healing' by Dr. Israel Regardie.
I suffered with migraines on and off for about 2 years and after reading this book, the results have been amazing. Don't put it down as wishy washy nonsense, the mind really can help heal the body. Just try it and see.
blissy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ainat87)
Have you tried any aromatherapy type stuff? It sometimes works. Lavender oil is pratically good for anything, and rosemary oil helps me with my headaches. It might work for you, but some people say that it doesn't help at all.
I have had migraines for 4 years and every doctor had told me that. I had just accepted that crippling 7 hour-a-day headaches were just normal. I went to my new doctor a few months ago and he has prescribed me a MIRACLE drug (you can't take it with asthama, unfortunately!) and I am now FREEE!! If they are seriously interfering with your life on a regular basis you should go to the doctor. I know people are trying to help with their aromatherapy etc but they put me off solving my REAL problem for 4 years.

From what you've said it sound like you've see the doctor (good on you). What helps for me is carrying a bottle of water everywhere and having sips when I get a migraine - soothing and helps to calm me down a bit so I don't have panicking on top of migraine. I also have a cold pack that I keep in the fridge for if I get one at home. Lying down and sleeping is a great cure, but obviously not terribly useful. try and find a place to sit down, and sit comfortably (ignoring anyone who gives you a funny look). I find cradling my head and rubbing my neck/eyes/temples (whereever) really helps. Stretching out your back can also help (if you get tension with the migraine too). Take off layers, put down anything you are carrying. Standing up straight can also help if you find that works for you (I find different things work at different times). Eating things NEVER helps for me (makes me feel more sick) but rubbing my tummy sometimes helps. A dark place (or covering your eyes over) also helps.

You have probably tried all these, but there's not much else I can suggest!
presebjenada
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
migraines run in my family, and both my mum and aunt used to get them really badly (although luckily i have yet to get them regularly as they did) .. both went to an acupuncturist and it cured them both immediately. My mum says it felt ike someone had unblocked a drain in her head. I was very sceptical before she went and my mum certainly isnt one for wishy washy alternative healing, but she hasnt had one since (and she used to get them badly and very regularly) - id highly recommend it, everyones different and gets needles in different places but it doesnt hurt and apparently is used very successfully to treat migraines. worth a try!
Apollo
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i have only had one migrain before, it was really bad, (altho they all are), and i just slept, then took and excedrin tablet thing and it went away, only had one, and sincerly hoping that was the only one i will ever have. My aunt used to get them once a week at least, she tried all kinds of medicane, finally found one that worked.
*Riz*
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Ladygemini)

Thanks
This may sound really strange but when I get migranes I find it helps to put my head under a freezing cold shower until It hurts so much I have to turn it off. If i do this a few times my migranes almost always go! As blissy said, cold packs are good too - same principal just a bit gentler!
Ladygemini
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Thank you to everyone who gave me advice I have taken it all in.

Katie J I have got a problem with biting on my back teeth so I am going to make a denist appointment today. Thank you again
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (75)
17.24%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (280)
64.37%
Not yet but I am planning to (21)
4.83%
Not yet but I might (59)
13.56%

Watched Threads