Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Voice out ur opinion, please remember, debate is a formal argument. State whether u are proposition or opposition before your speech. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    This was a motion last term in the Cambridge Union, although it was:

This house says I'm a viewer, get reality TV out of here.

I believe the Ayes had it...

ReputationRep:
    No one does reality tv like channel 4.

I've got to admit it is getting a bit boring. But nothing beats Wife Swaps Lizzie and that fat couple from the first series. It really changed their lives and makes good entertainment for me. It's no worse than Coronation Street.

ReputationRep:
    I'm just annoyed that TV has become merely a form of jazzy-showbiz-crap-entertainment rather than brain-stimulating entertainment (e.g. documentaries, good comedy). Reality TV mugs money from good programming. It's also socially isolating (I watched BB3 on E4 and ended up thinking that I KNEW those people....). I know it gets good ratings and that is WHY it is propogated - but since when have people known what's good for them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    There is brain-stimulating entertainment on TV. Just not on terrestrial.
    BUT BUT BUt... I can't afford Sky or Cable (or its variations :rolleyes: ) and the adverts are EVEN MORE annoying and regular than on ITV & C4.

ANd anyway - who says endless repeats of "top murderers" or "100 greatest Nazis" is stimulating? The only good stuff is BBC/C4 repeats (I CANNOT lower myself to watch ITV).

ReputationRep:
    I oppose the motion.

Simply because of the idea of free choice. The television producers are simply giving Britain what it wants. Which makes it far worse. If it was some authoritarian measure to make us all addicted to Jade Goody and Co., it would be bad, but to top it off with the idea that we are willing victims takes the biscuit.

ReputationRep:
    Might as well just ban all TV, would solve a lot of problems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lily4eva)
    Voice out ur opinion, please remember, debate is a formal argument. State whether u are proposition or opposition before your speech. Thanks.

id bann it too

ReputationRep:
    There's loads of good stuff if you poke around. Usually some decent documentaries on ancient Egypt or something if you like that sort of thing like I do.

Plus there's the original Batman series on FX

BTW I'm not a Sky agent.
    The most irritating thing about Sky is how they stretch a 45 minute program into an hour time slot. GRrrrrrrRRrr! The adveeeeerrrrttss!

Slightly better with Sky+ now cause if you pause it for a bit you can atleast fast forward some of the ads

And yes, reality tv has been exhausted I think; while people still phone up to these programmes and vote the TV companies will continue to make them. Their future is in your hands.

ReputationRep:
    No different to ITV, channel 4 and channel 5.
    Sky adverts are definitely longer - I will have to time them some time.

It is in fact the best thing since sliced bread.
    I concur

Like it or not vast hordes of people are dumb enough to think that phoning these shows makes a ha'peth of difference. The future clearly isn't in 'our' hands, its in the hands of the muppets!
    I bet there are a lot of people on these forums who call up and vote! They're only funding the next series; they must be stopped.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommorris)
    I oppose the motion.

Simply because of the idea of free choice. The television producers are simply giving Britain what it wants. Which makes it far worse. If it was some authoritarian measure to make us all addicted to Jade Goody and Co., it would be bad, but to top it off with the idea that we are willing victims takes the biscuit.
    Ditto. I don't like it, but it appears to be what the majority of Britons wants to watch and as we all know, TV companies are just out to hook as many viewers as possible. There are some good programmes out there, even on terrestrial. You just have to scour the Radio Times really really carefully

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.