The Student Room Group

My Dad has anger issues.

Every so often, my Dad will overreact to something and it always really upsets and scares me. He'll kick and throw things, shout, slam doors etc.

Just now, he went to get some beans out of the microwave and used a oven glove in one hand, but it was still too hot, slipt a bit and a few beans spilt out onto the side of the microwave and he put the beans back in. It wasn't as if he'd dropped the whole bowl. It was only a few beans.

But he kind of growled, threw the glove to the ground and kicked a bucket. He then kicked one of the cupboard doors, kicked some more stuff on the ground, stomped up the stairs and slammed the door shut. He stayed there for about 15-30 minutes. My mum was in the kitchen too, and all she did was say "That was a weird reaction". She never really says much when he does things like this. My Dog was very worried and confused, and tried to follow him up, but I had to stop him.

When he came back downstairs, I thought he would have calmed down, but he hadn't. We have this gate on the bottom of the stairs that isn't attached, just to stop the dog from going upstairs when we don't want him to. My Dad took down the gate and put it back, but it slipped and hit the floor and made a loud noise, and then he kicked it a few times and stormed into the kitchen. My Dog is a very nervous dog and hates loud noises, which is why he's scared of the gate, since it falls all of the time. And since my Dad had kicked it a few times, this really scared him, so he sat in a corner, shaking. I went to comfort him, but he ran away from me to the backdoor, and then I tried to calm him down, but he was still shaking. I let him go outside, and he was okay when he came back in, but all he wanted to do is go in my room and lie down on my bed.

When my Dad had gone into the kitchen, I could hear him shouting at my mum.

He's never hurt any of us physically, but his actions always make me really scared, and worried that maybe one day he would. I know that he would say "Ohh, I'd never hurt you", but that's what they all say. I've told him before that he has anger management issues but he just told me that I was being silly. I think my Dad suffers from depression and has some anti-depressants for it, but obviously he still does these things. My mum never really mentions when he does these things and always just says "Oh, he's just upset/angry.".

Sometimes, he'll tell us about how he'd wished his life had gone, which obviously makes it feel as if he didn't want me and my brother, because he feels like he could have travelled the world etc. And he hates being tied down, but obviously he is because he's married with two kids and a dog. Although he clearly loves the dog, he's always complaining, saying that the dog prevents us from doing things and is holding us down. We wouldn't have done anything anyway. When we got him (my mum's friend couldn't look after him anymore due to her husband dying) we hadn't been on holiday for three years anyway, and we don't have a lot of money. My Dad makes it seem as if we would have gone to Hawaii or something and the dog was stopping us and it's not true. He blames the dog for everything. "No one ever does anything in this house, thanks to the dog". He's not even joking, even though all these things are clearly not the dogs fault.

I'm not sure what I was expecting from this post, I just wanted to type it all out I guess.
I'm not really good at giving advice, but I'll bump this for you.
your mother isn't sucking his dick enough. he's not gonna kick off over trivial **** if he's getting his dick sucked.
I agree your Dad has issues - I don't know whether they're anger management ones but it's certainly something he needs to address anyway. Since you've already tried talking to him about it and that's gotten nowhere, I think you really need to press the issue with your Mum. It sounds like she's scared of him and she shouldn't be - they're married (presumably) for heaven's sakes! She needs to confront him and help him and you need to encourage her to do that.
Original post by Anonymous
Every so often, my Dad will overreact to something and it always really upsets and scares me. He'll kick and throw things, shout, slam doors etc.

Just now, he went to get some beans out of the microwave and used a oven glove in one hand, but it was still too hot, slipt a bit and a few beans spilt out onto the side of the microwave and he put the beans back in. It wasn't as if he'd dropped the whole bowl. It was only a few beans.

But he kind of growled, threw the glove to the ground and kicked a bucket. He then kicked one of the cupboard doors, kicked some more stuff on the ground, stomped up the stairs and slammed the door shut. He stayed there for about 15-30 minutes. My mum was in the kitchen too, and all she did was say "That was a weird reaction". She never really says much when he does things like this. My Dog was very worried and confused, and tried to follow him up, but I had to stop him.

When he came back downstairs, I thought he would have calmed down, but he hadn't. We have this gate on the bottom of the stairs that isn't attached, just to stop the dog from going upstairs when we don't want him to. My Dad took down the gate and put it back, but it slipped and hit the floor and made a loud noise, and then he kicked it a few times and stormed into the kitchen. My Dog is a very nervous dog and hates loud noises, which is why he's scared of the gate, since it falls all of the time. And since my Dad had kicked it a few times, this really scared him, so he sat in a corner, shaking. I went to comfort him, but he ran away from me to the backdoor, and then I tried to calm him down, but he was still shaking. I let him go outside, and he was okay when he came back in, but all he wanted to do is go in my room and lie down on my bed.

When my Dad had gone into the kitchen, I could hear him shouting at my mum.

He's never hurt any of us physically, but his actions always make me really scared, and worried that maybe one day he would. I know that he would say "Ohh, I'd never hurt you", but that's what they all say. I've told him before that he has anger management issues but he just told me that I was being silly. I think my Dad suffers from depression and has some anti-depressants for it, but obviously he still does these things. My mum never really mentions when he does these things and always just says "Oh, he's just upset/angry.".

Sometimes, he'll tell us about how he'd wished his life had gone, which obviously makes it feel as if he didn't want me and my brother, because he feels like he could have travelled the world etc. And he hates being tied down, but obviously he is because he's married with two kids and a dog. Although he clearly loves the dog, he's always complaining, saying that the dog prevents us from doing things and is holding us down. We wouldn't have done anything anyway. When we got him (my mum's friend couldn't look after him anymore due to her husband dying) we hadn't been on holiday for three years anyway, and we don't have a lot of money. My Dad makes it seem as if we would have gone to Hawaii or something and the dog was stopping us and it's not true. He blames the dog for everything. "No one ever does anything in this house, thanks to the dog". He's not even joking, even though all these things are clearly not the dogs fault.

I'm not sure what I was expecting from this post, I just wanted to type it all out I guess.

Sounds like my father OP, he's mellow out over the years but still gets worked up over things that have happened to him before. I just stuck to doing things the way he liked it and being away from him.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending