The Student Room Group
There was actually a conversation about this in the OU forum not long ago -- personally, I would've thought that an OU degree would be very highly regarded, seeing as to complete one requires time management skills and multitasking, which many students at traditional universities could more easily avoid. :cool: And from what I've heard from OU students, the academic standards of such a degree certainly aren't "dumbed down" -- though I suppose you'd have to ask a wide range of people for a better opinion.
Reply 2
I am currently studying acouple of OU courses in natural sciences - I have not yet decided whether to pursue a degree or not. I have heard from various sources, including my tutor, that employers regard OU degrees very highly - not least because many students manage to study whilst having other commitments (job, family etc). Many OU tutors are themselves lecturers at brick universities. With regards to science degrees, I think its true to say that OU students cannot compete with students at brick unis in terms of laboratory experience. - Science students at brick unis are likely to spend many hours in the lab every week whereas OU science students are lucky to complete a week's lab work at residential school every year. Yet, the quality of science material (textbooks, DVDs, multimedia activities) is very high indeed. I also have the opportunity to attend tutorials to meet my tutor and fellow students. All in all, all OU course materials are very conducive to self-study so, in theory, its possible to study entirely by yourself. - However, there are many opportunities to involve yourself in group study - having regular contact with your tutor, attending tutorials, participating in online conferences.

Hope this helps!
Reply 3
im currently doin my accounting major in OU......personally, i feel it kinda really hard, when compared with students doing there grad with regular university. abt the subject there r hell option & a bit complex too.

but yet cool studyin @ OU

Latest

Trending

Trending