General Studies science domain paper

Watch this thread
emmz23
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Is anyone taking the AS general studies science domain paper tomorrow?? If so do you know how to revise for it- what do i need to know?? I know that you have to watch the news and read newspapers but i feel that, that isn't good enough. Are there any other methods for revising for it or any good websites i could look at?? I wish i never had to take general studies but our sixth form makes us take it!! :mad: I really need to know otherwise i feel that i will fail the exam!!
Stick Man
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 16 years ago
Hi

I have a specimen paper in front of me for the OCR spec. It asks you to find means/modes, read graphs, draw a pie chart, and say what an "anonolous result" is. It then has a very basic comprehension on an alternate day driving scheme in Paris (with all required information provided in the article), and a section where it asks for comment on a choice of vaguely science related stuff (GM food, inductive reasoning et c.)
Lord Derfel Cadarn
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 16 years ago
The general studes paper I had last year had no actual scientific stuff to know. I was just esay qestions asking general questions about new technologies and science realated things as stick man said. Environment issues, GM foods and such. we naver had anything spacific to revise for.
*soph*
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 16 years ago
Which board? My AS science and technology paper (AQA) was 25 multiple choice questions based on the material given, and 25 multiple choice maths questions, which were accessible to people who'd only taken intermediate maths gcse. No-one I knew did any revision - I got 98 for that paper with no revision so don't worry.
emmz23
Rep:
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by Stick Man)
Hi

I have a specimen paper in front of me for the OCR spec. It asks you to find means/modes, read graphs, draw a pie chart, and say what an "anonolous result" is. It then has a very basic comprehension on an alternate day driving scheme in Paris (with all required information provided in the article), and a section where it asks for comment on a choice of vaguely science related stuff (GM food, inductive reasoning et c.)
I am with the OCR board for general studies. So basically i have to brush up on my maths even though i haven't done maths for like a year now!! Omg i don't think i'm gonna do well if there are loads of maths questions!!
*soph*
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 16 years ago
Just do a few exercises on GCSE Bitesize, it'll be fine.
PieMaster
Rep:
Report 16 years ago
General studies maths isnt real maths, the hardest thing you'll need to know is how to work out the angles for a pie chart.

I got 100% in 2 of my AQA General Studies A2 papers last year with absolutly no revision.
Johnny 5
Badges: 12
Report 16 years ago
OCR General Studies: The Scientific Domain

Question 4(a) (I think)

A man has a fox, a chicken, and a bag of corn, and wishes to transport them all across a river. He may only do this by taking them over on a boat, but the boat may only hold one item, plus himself, at a time. He may not leave the fox with the chicken, or the chicken with the corn. How does he do this?
(5 marks. Seriously.)
Stick Man
Rep:
Report 16 years ago
Calm down OP, its not like its a real AS level.

The BBC has a site called AS Guru (Google it) which covers a lot of the topics needed under the Maths and Science modules. Have a leaf through that.
the_0ne
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 16 years ago
Mine is tomorrow, i'm doing AQA and i have unit 3 tomorrow, which is politics and the economy, i think. I think the best thing you can do if you don't read newspapers and watch the news often is do the past papers, are school gave out like 5. But for the science you can bring in your own knowlege of your other science subjects if you are studying them anyway. Go to the AQA website if you don't have any past papers and want some http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/gceasa/genA_assess.html
Joe_JBB
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 16 years ago
Yea, I've got it tomorrow (OCR). Not too worried about the content, but does anyone know if it's marked strictly? Because I might get all good stuff down, but miss out on marks for some reason or anothr. Is there are certain way yuou're meant to set your essay answers out, how much for explanation and how much evaluating points etc.?

Good luck to everyone!

Joe xxx
Stick Man
Rep:
Report 16 years ago
^ If there is such a thing, it'll be on the OCR website.
UpliftMof0
Rep:
Report 16 years ago
the politics one is probably the hardest one, only because its a written exam that involves your own knowledge. so, just like any other written exam, 100% is rare. but for the others, its multiple choice or maths, which you can get full marks on.
fr browne
Rep:
Report 16 years ago
OCR General Studies = easy, why even bother revising. Joke answers galore.

Sure the interest question needed some actual calculations but nothing someone woho passed GCSE maths couldnt handle evne with a year off. Bring on the other two and let see if I can break my record of 8 R.E.M. song title references.
Stick Man
Rep:
Report 16 years ago
I have to admit I was surprised to see a question on condoms.

Also, fo you think I'll get many marks for answering the "how does improving railways harm our environment" question with a few paragraphs on how the printing of train tickets uses up valuable paper resources?
PieMaster
Rep:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by fr browne)
Sure the interest question needed some actual calculations but nothing someone woho passed GCSE maths couldnt handle evne with a year off. Bring on the other two and let see if I can break my record of 8 R.E.M. song title references.
We used to choose random words or objects to fit into economics papers, the best by far was "a sponge cake with jesus's face superimposed on it"
fr browne
Rep:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Stick Man)
I have to admit I was surprised to see a question on condoms.

Also, fo you think I'll get many marks for answering the "how does improving railways harm our environment" question with a few paragraphs on how the printing of train tickets uses up valuable paper resources?
I said something about energy used when driving to rasilway stations, having to use energy to repair tracks etc so yeah I think youll be fine.
fr browne
Rep:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by PieMaster)
We used to choose random words or objects to fit into economics papers, the best by far was "a sponge cake with jesus's face superimposed on it"

Hahah thats a good one that I might try in politics hmmmm. *ponders*

Whats not good is that Ive just seen Stickman's sig ...grrrr
Stick Man
Rep:
Report 16 years ago
I have heard about someone else's answer today. They answered a question on "what sport would you recommend for overweight person?" with "sumo wrestling; because they are fat".

Daragh
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 16 years ago
Hehe, why the hell didnt I think of that one?

I managed to conclude my "why are more people being sporty" essay with "maybe it is because we are all trying to put off the date we die due to our fear of not being in control of what happens to us"
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (231)
41.92%
The paper was reasonable (234)
42.47%
Not feeling great about that exam... (51)
9.26%
It was TERRIBLE (35)
6.35%

Watched Threads