The Student Room Group

Why do Royal Family avoid using NHS like the plague

They never use NHS hospitals, they always use private hospitals. The Queen Mother, Prince Philip, Kate Middleton and the Queen have all used private hospitals. Is it really too much to ask that they use the same serivces and have to hobnob with the rest of us commoners? Security wouldn't be an issue, they could draft in extra officers, no more than they'll be using in private hospitals and when it comes to privacy, allowances could be made.

Now I have nothing against private hospitals, in fact I actually believe people should be more responsible for their healthcare and be made to get private insurance if they can. But I think it's symbolic more than anything, they are public figures and it's the NHS for christ's sake, would it kill them to use it, who treats our brave soldiers when they come back blown up from Afghanistan? The NHS, yet their nominal commander in chief and their family can't bring themself to use the same. Even our politicians use the NHS. In the US, politicians are treated using public/military healthcare. Also who is picking up the tab for this private treatment, I hope to God it is not the taxpayer, but wouldn't surprise me.

So it's OK for our soldiers who've suffered life changing injuries and need complicated treatment to have to use the NHS but the Royal Family won't even use the NHS for MORNING SICKNESS or an UPSET TUMMY!? Turns my stomach if you don't mind the pun.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 122025278
They never use NHS hospitals, they always use private hospitals.

Scarce NHS resources aren't being wasted on people who can afford to use facilities that don't affect those that use the NHS.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Good bloke
Only an idiot would think this is bad. Scarce NHS resources aren't being wasted on people who can afford to use facilities that don't affect those that use the NHS.

The NHS treats about 20 million people a year. 1 person out of 20 million and bear in mind the Royal Family aren't in there every single year.
Just because they are public figures does not mean they should use the NHS. I bet if you had billions you'd use private hospitals over public ones. And many of these private facilities are used to treating high profile individuals with specific security arrangements.
Because they are hypocrites :smile:
Reply 5
Let's be honest, she's very old and she's more likely to catch something and die in an NHS hospital. It's not really worth putting our widely-revered monarch at risk just for some symbolic gesture.

And what would the symbol be? The Queen has nothing to do with running the NHS - she has no power to make the NHS good or bad. If you wanted someone to use the NHS to make a point surely it would be the Health Secretary? But I wouldn't even expect that.
Because they'd probably catch the plague.

Plus the NHS is supposed to be a place of equal treatment, and the Royals would obviously be accorded special privacy and care which would run contrary to that ideology.
Reply 7
My parents are working class and we don't even use the NHS, so what?

Private care is superior to the NHS in almost every single way, so if you can afford it why wouldn't you use it?

On the subject of the Royal Family, there are two reasons why they go private.

1. The NHS can't accommodate a professional security force.
2. They can't get the care and attention due to such highly public figures.

Doing any of these things on the NHS would take away resources which could be better used on someone else.

In fact, if they were on the NHS I'd have made a thread asking why are those spongers using the NHS when they have the money to pay for their own care on the private system?
Reply 8
Wouldn't there be a massive security issue at an NHS hospital...
Reply 9
Original post by TheEarlMarshal
Just because they are public figures does not mean they should use the NHS. I bet if you had billions you'd use private hospitals over public ones. And many of these private facilities are used to treating high profile individuals with specific security arrangements.

Yes I would, I'm not even in favour of the NHS, I'm far right. However, they are public figures, she is the commander in chief. How would you feel if you were one of those soldiers who'd come back from Afghanistan, limbs missing, to go to the cramp and dirty wards of the NHS hospital in Birmingham to know that your Head of State and their family can't bear using NHS hospitals for a few days. The Queen is a public figure.

If the Prime Minister snubbed the NHS do you really think it wouldn't make news, if the President in the US didn't use the military hospitals that they use it would be explosive.
Reply 10
Oh goodness, the royals use private medical care which is open to anyone who can afford it - how dare they do something every else with money has the freedom to do!

Good grief, this is just scraping the barrel, criticising them for which hospital they choose. It's about as pathetic as criticising Nick Clegg for considering sending his kids to a private school.
she is the commander in chief.

No she isn't. Your general knowledge appears woeful.
Reply 12
Original post by Tahooper
Wouldn't there be a massive security issue at an NHS hospital...

The Prime Minister and their family use NHS hospitals as do the Cabinet. There is no security issue.
Reply 13

Actually, She is Commander-in-Chief indeed. The PM makes decisions and enacts them through the Queen, but they are done in Her name as Commander-in-Chief.
Reply 14
Original post by Genocidal
My parents are working class and we don't even use the NHS, so what?

Private care is superior to the NHS in almost every single way, so if you can afford it why wouldn't you use it?

On the subject of the Royal Family, there are two reasons why they go private.

1. The NHS can't accommodate a professional security force.
2. They can't get the care and attention due to such highly public figures.

Doing any of these things on the NHS would take away resources which could be better used on someone else.

In fact, if they were on the NHS I'd have made a thread asking why are those spongers using the NHS when they have the money to pay for their own care on the private system?

There is no security issue, the Prime Minister and their families, former Prime Ministers, senior civil servants and the Cabinet use NHS hospitals. Also private hospitals aren't some sort of fortress.
Reply 15
The Prime Minister and their family use NHS hospitals as do the Cabinet. There is no security issue.

Could you provide a link to an example of one of them using the NHS?
Original post by gladders
Actually, She is Commander-in-Chief indeed. The PM makes decisions and enacts them through the Queen, but they are done in Her name as Commander-in-Chief.

She has honorary military titles only. No military decisions are effected via the monarch. This is not the USA.
Reply 17

She is head of the armed forces.
Reply 18
She has honorary military titles only. No military decisions are effected via the monarch. This is not the USA.

Indeed, but it is still her title and she is treated as such. You claimed she wasn't.
Original post by Genocidal

Agreed.

Latest

Trending

Trending