Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I realise this probably isn't the right forum for this but I since you guys probably know the area well I thought it might be the easiest way to get an answer.

I am going to an open day in a couple of weeks and my friend and I are staying at St Edmund Hall. I need to find a restaurant which is relatively cheap, under £40 for both of us, and which is quite close, any suggestions?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gmseahorse)
    I realise this probably isn't the right forum for this but I since you guys probably know the area well I thought it might be the easiest way to get an answer.

I am going to an open day in a couple of weeks and my friend and I are staying at St Edmund Hall. I need to find a restaurant which is relatively cheap, under £40 for both of us, and which is quite close, any suggestions?
    High table, or if you don't mind just one course you could go to quod (both are on high street) If you like chinese food there's opium den where you can get really good chinese food and lots of it for under 20 quid each if you're careful.

Basically you won't have a problem finding food.

ReputationRep:

Turf Tavern pub. http://www.theturftavern.co.uk/

Also lots of places in and around the centre including standards like pizza express, or go down the Cowley road for vast choice of Indian / Chinese etc. restaurants.

:sheep:

ps - I'd regard £40 for two as distinctly un-cheap! (Unless you're lashing out on the wine list...)

ReputationRep:

What kind of food do you like? Chiang Mai Kitchen is close and one of the better Thai places in Oxford - your £40 will cope there. You should call ahead to book a table in term times, it's very popular.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    What kind of food do you like? Chiang Mai Kitchen is close and one of the better Thai places in Oxford - your £40 will cope there. You should call ahead to book a table in term times, it's very popular.
    I tend to favour English/French/Italian, looking for somewhere nice but relatively informal.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I tend to favour English/French/Italian, looking for somewhere nice but relatively informal.

Thanks
    Oh, do a short walk and head up to George St, there are loads of places there that meet your needs. It's only 5 mins away.

ReputationRep:
    Define 'close'. All of Oxford and Cowley are a short walk away really - that's like 100 restaurants.

And £40 as cheap?!

ReputationRep:

Thanks
    For £40 you could have a two course meal at the Randolph with a glass of wine but I grant you it's only informal in the sense that a weekend at Balmoral is informal.

http://www.macdonaldhotels.co.uk/off...heatre-dinner/

ReputationRep:
    If you're actually looking for cheapish and relatively informal (because I would also consider £40 for two as going all out) then Queen's Lane coffee house is pretty much next door to Teddy Hall and does very good baked potatoes, amongst other things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    For £40 you could have a two course meal at the Randolph with a glass of wine but I grant you it's only informal in the sense that a weekend at Balmoral is informal.

http://www.macdonaldhotels.co.uk/off...heatre-dinner/
    And not just formal, but quite odd at times - the service can be a little peculiar in there.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.