Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

quick question for alevel maths students Watch

ReputationRep:
    If you looked in a past paper now.... do you reckon you could do most of the questions?

I can only do about 1/4 of them...

Should I be worried or is it the same with most people?

EDIT: The first exam is in mid May. Do I have time to pull it out of the bag?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, if the exam is tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madfish)
    If you looked in a past paper now.... do you reckon you could do most of the questions?

If this is an exam you are taking in the summer

I would expect [first couple of papers]

>1/3 done without book

>1/2 in addition with book

remaining few questions in-accesible due to not really understanding what is being asked

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lunch_Box)
    Yes. Yes, you should be worried.
    The exam is not tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenOfThem)
    If this is an exam you are taking in the summer

I would expect [first couple of papers]

>1/3 done without book

>1/2 in addition with book

remaining few questions in-accesible due to not really understanding what is being asked
    I tend to always find that In Alevel Maths I look at a question and have no idea how to tackle it... then I look at a mark scheme and It's something really easy like applying the Sine rule (for example).
    Any tips on how to deal with getting to the "root" of the question?

So you reckon right now I should be able to do around 1/3 of the questions without a textbook?

I am quite worried that my exam in June is going to be very different from pastpapers as I know several people who took exams this january who said the exams they sat where very different from what was in past papers..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    Yes, if the exam is tomorrow.
    The exam is in May..I don't know whether that makes the situation better or not..

ReputationRep:
    I tend to always find that In Alevel Maths I look at a question and have no idea how to tackle it... then I look at a mark scheme and It's something really easy like applying the Sine rule (for example).

Any tips on how to deal with getting to the "root" of the question?
    Stop looking at the mark scheme

Try to do some
    Look some up in the book
    Go on a revision site to get some general help

Only when all of this has been tried should you even contemplate the mark scheme

ReputationRep:

My class did a full C1 mock in January but we aren't doing the exam until May, we also did a full S1 mock which we have the exam for in May but we could only do 1/3 maybe 2/3 of a C2 paper right now. Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:

You should be able to do it! How many, and which modules are you doing this summer? I've only learnt half of one of the modules I'm doing and am not even close to doing past papers, and I'm still predicted an A

ReputationRep:

Yes, probably all the questions.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Surprisingly enough, I practise a lot The exam's in 2 months, you have plenty of time, just keep going at the past papers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizz-ie)
    You should be able to do it! How many, and which modules are you doing this summer? I've only learnt half of one of the modules I'm doing and am not even close to doing past papers, and I'm still predicted an A
    9 exams including C1 , C2 and M1 along with 2 physics, biology and chemistry exams. I am up to date and on top of all my subjects except maths:mad:

ReputationRep:
    Stop looking at the mark scheme

Try to do some
    Look some up in the book
    Go on a revision site to get some general help

Only when all of this has been tried should you even contemplate the mark scheme
    Okay thank you

Any other tips TenOfThem? I know you are very experienced so you are the person to ask (I hope you don't mind)

EDIT: When should I start pastpapers?

ReputationRep:
    Seeing as it's been a week after starting D1 I could do maybe 15% of the paper haha, if it's a module you've been fully taught you might want to be worrying

ReputationRep:
    9 exams including C1 , C2 and M1 along with 2 physics, biology and chemistry exams. I am up to date and on top of all my subjects except maths:mad:
    I really wouldn't worry, I'm doing C1, C2, S1 and FP1 this summer (having already done D1 in January) and we've finished C1, almost finished S1, and are about half way through C2 and FP1. The only one I've even attempted past papers for is C1.

Try going on examsolutions.net and attempting past questions for the topics you've done, I find that helps me to understand them more.

(Original post by b4tman)
    Seeing as it's been a week after starting D1 I could do maybe 15% of the paper haha, if it's a module you've been fully taught you might want to be worrying
    D1 is a lot easier than C2, though.

ReputationRep:
    Okay thank you

Any other tips TenOfThem? I know you are very experienced so you are the person to ask (I hope you don't mind)

EDIT: When should I start pastpapers?
    You need to be starting past papers asap doing 1 per week for each exam

eg With my Y12
    Finished C1 just before Christmas ... been doing a past paper a week since then
    Finished S1 last week ... started doing a past paper a week straight away
    Expect to finish C2 by Easter ... doing 1.5 to 2 papers a week from then

ReputationRep:

eg With my Y12
    Okay thanks for the support TenOfThem. Wish you were my Maths teacher

ReputationRep:

eg With my Y12
    Do you make your class do all the questions in the textbook too? Or should I just do a few questions from the textbook and do loads of past papers instead?

ReputationRep:
    Do you make your class do all the questions in the textbook too? Or should I just do a few questions from the textbook and do loads of past papers instead?
    I encourage them to do as much from an exercise as they need to

The they are expected to do all questions in the mixed exercises/review exercises

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizz-ie)
    D1 is a lot easier than C2, though.
    Excuse me? Would you be able to solve a simplex diagram without being shown/self teaching?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by b4tman)
    Excuse me? Would you be able to solve a simplex diagram without being shown/self teaching?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've already done my D1 exam...

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.