Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

Will my degree be looked down on in the legal world? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hoping to get into the legal profession next year and qualify as a family solicitor. I am in my last year at UEA (Norwich) studying American History with Modern History BA (Hons), and I am determined to become a solicitor.

I want to get into a London firm like Charles Russell or Dawson Cornwell. I am also interested in some firms in Norwich and back in my home county...

My academic aren't great: AABc at A level in History, Politics, English Literature and Business. Should get a 2.1... My GCSEs were pretty poor due to some family problems (a death) - I got 2 A*s, 2 As, 1 B and 7 Cs (A*A*AABCCCCCCC)...

My ECs are:
    • Vac scheme at a local law firm back in my home county (large county firm; largest in my county)
    • Politics society
    • Conservative Party society
    • Student newspaper
    • American Studies society
    • Year abroad at University of California Davis (Major: History. Minor: Political Science)
    • Work experience at a local newspaper when I was 17 (if that counts?!)
    Anyway have I got a good chance. Someone I know (who has friends taking law degrees at another uni) said that an American History degree will be looked down on... Is this the case? And it isn't 100% US history. Part of it's modern history.

There was some guy at White & Case I believe (not a law firm I am interested in) who studied American and English Lit at UEA... So I may be okay? Your views?

Thank you all!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lawyer444)
    Aren't you still at school, yet to do A levels?
    If you bothered to read the original post...

I am in my last year at UEA (Norwich) studying American History with Modern History BA (Hons), and I am determined to become a solicitor.
    AABc at A level in History, Politics, English Literature and Business. Should get a 2.1...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lawyer444)
    I must've seen at least five or six variations of similar questions from you now.

Aren't you still at school, yet to do A levels? Apologies if you are not the person I'm thinking of.

If you are, speaking as someone who qualified as a lawyer a few years ago, I would suggest you forget all this stuff for now, and put your energy into getting great A level results.
    No idea what you're on about... Did you read the OP?

(Original post by Chlorophile)
    If you bothered to read the original post...
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I actually met a partner at a large City firm who studied at the same university and did the same course as you the other day...!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MikeRoss478)
    Someone I know (who has friends taking law degrees at another uni) said that an American History degree will be looked down on... Is this the case? And it isn't 100% US history. Part of it's modern history.
    I do not understand this at all. What is wrong with American history? Why is it inferior to British or French or anyone else's history?

The only problem you are likely to encounter is from a firm which has a preference for law graduates and any firm that does so is likely to spell it out prominently on its invitation to apply because it won't want to be bothered with timewasters.

ReputationRep:
    My son is just doing his training contract at the moment. He has met such a mixture of people along the way. One who did Zoology then a conversion then went on to get a good training contract. What he has found though is that results count all the way. Good degree, preferably a first in whatever subject, (as competition is fierce) then excellent LPC results if you do it before you secure a contract. He has three fluent languages which has helped him considerably. Don't become disheartened, he made over 200 applications before he secured his contract. While he was waiting to start he did paralegal work, as he had done his LPC and he found that amazingly useful. All the best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    I do not understand this at all. What is wrong with American history? Why is it inferior to British or French or anyone else's history?

The only problem you are likely to encounter is from a firm which has a preference for law graduates and any firm that does so is likely to spell it out prominently on its invitation to apply because it won't want to be bothered with timewasters.
    I'm told that the problem is the implication that the candidate is overly interested in the US.

I'm not sure I agree with that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suffocation1992)
    I actually met a partner at a large City firm who studied at the same university and did the same course as you the other day...!
    What firm?!

Ok, thanks I have been told an American history degree is useless; no idea why tbh!

(Original post by Comanche13)
    My son is just doing his training contract at the moment. He has met such a mixture of people along the way. One who did Zoology then a conversion then went on to get a good training contract. What he has found though is that results count all the way. Good degree, preferably a first in whatever subject, (as competition is fierce) then excellent LPC results if you do it before you secure a contract. He has three fluent languages which has helped him considerably. Don't become disheartened, he made over 200 applications before he secured his contract. While he was waiting to start he did paralegal work, as he had done his LPC and he found that amazingly useful. All the best.
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LexiswasmyNexis)
    I'm told that the problem is the implication that the candidate is overly interested in the US.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've been told it isn't looked upon as being as rigorous as pure history...

ReputationRep:
    :bump:

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...ighlight=oxilp

Apparently the lpc at oxilp has been closed

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've been told it isn't looked upon as being as rigorous as pure history...
    I think I would like to see who was saying this. This feels like one VIth former trying to make himself feel big by rubbishing another VIth former's course choice.

ReputationRep:
    I think I would like to see who was saying this. This feels like one VIth former trying to make himself feel big by rubbishing another VIth former's course choice.
    Haha, it was actually the CoL careers adviser at my centre. I obviously think she's a moron, but if what she says is true in terms of what recruiters have told her then I can't argue.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah, but it isn't 100% US history! It's mixed with modern history !

ReputationRep:
    Haha, it was actually the CoL careers adviser at my centre. I obviously think she's a moron, but if what she says is true in terms of what recruiters have told her then I can't argue.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I might see it as a sight risk if I was recruiting for a City firm without an American practice but divorce lawyers are not easily transposable.

ReputationRep:
    I might see it as a sight risk if I was recruiting for a City firm without an American practice but divorce lawyers are not easily transposable.
    Hi, just to let you know it isn't a pure US history degree-it is combined with modern history Will it be less of a risk?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, just to let you know it isn't a pure US history degree-it is combined with modern history Will it be less of a risk?
    The problem is that one is struggling to understand (a) whether this idea exists at all, (b) where it exists and (c) the rationale for it.

Given that, it would be presumptuous of us to comment on how far this notion actually extends. It may be that merely liking blueberry muffins will condemn you to perpetual unemployment.

ReputationRep:
    The problem is that one is struggling to understand (a) whether this idea exists at all, (b) where it exists and (c) the rationale for it.

Given that, it would be presumptuous of us to comment on how far this notion actually extends. It may be that merely liking blueberry muffins will condemn you to perpetual unemployment.
    So basically just see what happens?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    So basically just see what happens?
    Yes. Don't worry about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.