Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Advice/tips........measuring temperature change Watch

ReputationRep:
    When we did the practical as practice, the class had different answers for temp change.

How can I make sure the temp. change is more accurate?

The temp. change is for -
    Initial temp. of 25cm^3 of H2SO4(aq)
    Then the final temp when added ZnCO3(s) to the H2SO4(aq).

ie. make sure all of the solid ZnCO3 comes out of the bottle into the H2SO4(aq) at once.

I know this sounds like fuss, but I really want the temp. readings accurate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ILoveUSA)
    When we did the practical as practice, the class had different answers for temp change.

How can I make sure the temp. change is more accurate?

The temp. change is for -
    Initial temp. of 25cm^3 of H2SO4(aq)
    Then the final temp when added ZnCO3(s) to the H2SO4(aq).

ie. make sure all of the solid ZnCO3 comes out of the bottle into the H2SO4(aq) at once.

I know this sounds like fuss, but I really want the temp. readings accurate.

Your temperature change may have been different due to you maybe having a little less ZnCo3 than your friends... Or maybe you added a little less than or more than 25cm^3 acid. Also when you added the acid you may not have used the thermometer to give the acid and solid a good mix.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.