Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone.
    This year (5th year) I am doing 5 Highers, English, maths, computing, physics and chemistry). I am, following prelim results, on track for A's in all of them. Next year, if all goes to plan, I will be doing AH Maths, Physics, Computing and a 4th so far undecided filler subject (I have to do 4 in 6th year in my school). The problem is, I still don't know what I want to do at University except that it's something in Maths, Physics or Computing (Or a combination, if such a thing exists). My question however, is, if i get 5 A's in my highers will that be enough to be sure of a place in University in one of these subject areas or will I need to back it up with extensive extra-curricular stuff and things like that?

Thanks for your help!

ReputationRep:
    First of all, if you get 5 A's in your Highers then that is fantastic! However you must realise that when applying for University courses, there are lots of other people that will apply for the same course as you and who will also have the same grades as you. Therefore if you want to stand out and be different from the rest, you need to try and take part in as much extra-curricular things as you can. Also when you get to the stage of writing your personal statement, you'll realise that the largest part of your personal statement will in fact be about the extra-curricular things you do or have taken part in. Hope this answers your question!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Othellonator)
    Hello everyone.
    This year (5th year) I am doing 5 Highers, English, maths, computing, physics and chemistry). I am, following prelim results, on track for A's in all of them. Next year, if all goes to plan, I will be doing AH Maths, Physics, Computing and a 4th so far undecided filler subject (I have to do 4 in 6th year in my school). The problem is, I still don't know what I want to do at University except that it's something in Maths, Physics or Computing (Or a combination, if such a thing exists). My question however, is, if i get 5 A's in my highers will that be enough to be sure of a place in University in one of these subject areas or will I need to back it up with extensive extra-curricular stuff and things like that?

Thanks for your help!
    You can more or less ignore the other guy, getting 5 A's in fifth year will essentially guarantee you entry to any Scottish uni (except for medicine, vet med, dentistry, too competitive and need extra-curricular as well)

You sound like you'd be interested in engineering (maths and physics) or computer science (computing and maths), can't think of a combination of all three though

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Edit: Negged for being perfectly correct

ReputationRep:
    I know Glasgow Univesity does a physics course that in the first year you do physics maths and. Subject of your choice (computing).

Well if you got 5As and are applying to any science course in Scotland you will more than likely be accepted. But if you wanted to apply for a humanities course then I suggest doing something that evolves essay writing. Although from your description it seems like you'd like to do a science course.

I know that down in England they offer Natural Sciences which involves a bit if everything but im assuming you want to stay in Scotland?
    I'd suggest you think long and hard over the summer about what you want to do as your S6 will fly in.

I thought I'd be going to uni (this year) to physics with out a doubt. I applied for 4 physics courses at Glasgow, Strathclyde and Heriott Watt. And 1 engineering course (Aero at Glasgow) as a way of filling up my 5 options. After thinking about everything I'm so glad I applied to the Aeronautical Engineering as it is what I'm going to be doing next year!

Moral is: look around at different courses and try not put all your eggs in 1 basket.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.