The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Much higher chance if they both go to the same uni or close unis, but LDR's are usually alot harder. Depends how much both want it to work etc. Many factors
Reply 2
No, they won't, there bulls*** and will get you into all sorts of mess!
Reply 3
Original post by Danya1
No, they won't, there bulls*** and will get you into all sorts of mess!

Not really, my best friend and his girlfriend have been together since highschool and are doing great together in Uni. Can't say the same for me but that was for different reasons.
Reply 4
Not if you go to different uni's. My ex went to uni 2 years before me as I've been doing my foundation course and she ended up leaving me to see other guys. That's life. You can't expect people to go to uni and not be tempted. Just break it off on good terms and have some fun at uni if you ask me.
Reply 5
I'll let you know in two years' time, but everything's going pretty well so far!
Original post by ZRO
Much higher chance if they both go to the same uni or close unis, but LDR's are usually alot harder. Depends how much both want it to work etc. Many factors

I guess you're right, depends how strong it is in the first place...

Do you guys think there's much point holding on to a relationship when you go to uni? Is it better just to break it off before and have fun at uni, saves the hurt later on?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by ZRO
Can't say the same for me but that was for different reasons.
There you go then :smile: and unfortunately, it is the case for the majority of young naive souls who bother with young love.
Reply 8
Original post by Aspiring Medic 7

Do you guys think there's much point holding on to a relationship when you go to uni? Is it better just to break it off before and have fun at uni, saves the hurt later on?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If not really a strong relationship then I reckon it would be fine to break it off. However its one of those things you should discuss with the other half, as they may want to try hard to keep what you have. Therefore discuss it with them then make your final decision from there. Tell them what you think and listen to their opinion.
Reply 9
In my opinion, most relationships before university are pretty pointless, if their intentions are serious. This is primarily because, as you stated, the 'changes in personality' which occur, and the other person may not like them for that person who they are any more.

Additionally, unless you are able to meet up at least, at the bare minimum once every 2 weeks, things will become incredibly hard, and eventually, in my opinion one person will crack and want to discontinue the relationship, as they are able to make relative judgments between how much easier it would be to have a relationship with a person at the university or nearby and that the person they are currently dating isn't the only one 'like that' and that they will be attracted to more than 1 person.
Reply 10
I've seen plenty of people try. Never happens. Then they say that they wasted that part of their uni time because of it (but probably just hostility from the break-up speaking).
Original post by JediArron
In my opinion, most relationships before university are pretty pointless, if their intentions are serious. This is primarily because, as you stated, the 'changes in personality' which occur, and the other person may not like them for that person who they are any more.

Additionally, unless you are able to meet up at least, at the bare minimum once every 2 weeks, things will become incredibly hard, and eventually, in my opinion one person will crack and want to discontinue the relationship, as they are able to make relative judgments between how much easier it would be to have a relationship with a person at the university or nearby and that the person they are currently dating isn't the only one 'like that' and that they will be attracted to more than 1 person.

Does it become a trust issue at all for some of you? Having a bf or gf away from you, wondering whatcthr might be getting up to, does that factor in??

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
My ex broke up with her high school BF shortly after coming to uni, now 4 years on they are back together...

I have ... mixed feelings but honestly wish them luck
Reply 13
A Y13 girl i'm friends with has just celebrated her 2nd anniversary with a guy in his second year of uni, it started when he was in Y13, she was in year 11. I guess a lot of the time they don't work, but it's definitely tricky.
Original post by scillage
A Y13 girl i'm friends with has just celebrated her 2nd anniversary with a guy in his second year of uni, it started when he was in Y13, she was in year 11. I guess a lot of the time they don't work, but it's definitely tricky.

Did he go to uni locally? Did they see each other on a regular basis?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Did he go to uni locally? Did they see each other on a regular basis?

Posted from TSR Mobile

He's about an hour away on the train - I think the first year she went to see him most weekends, but this year it's every 2/3 weeks.
Nope. Sometimes people part and get back together after a while though, which i have seen work.
Does it become a trust issue at all for some of you? Having a bf or gf away from you, wondering whatcthr might be getting up to, does that factor in??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh, I'm not speaking from experience, but from a Psychological point of view and a good understanding of the basic human behavior. If you aren't in regular contact, such as speaking at least once a day then I imagine it will be. However, the quantitative values I give aren't set in stone, they're just general and differ from person to person, but they're a pretty good estimate.
Original post by scillage
He's about an hour away on the train - I think the first year she went to see him most weekends, but this year it's every 2/3 weeks.

Maybe that's why, and her being younger, they could probably make time for her to visit and everything. I would imagine its more difficult for two people at different unis far apart... its really sad I guess :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19

Posted from TSR Mobile

It depends how much you like the person! I'd say it is always worth a try :smile: and you can always discuss it with them, see how they feel about it because they're essentially in the same position!

Latest

Trending

Trending