Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

I have worked at the BHF for one day and already hate it Watch

ReputationRep:
    Today I have just started working at the british heart foundation and I now hate it. I did not like the culture and it wasn't what I was expecting.

The reason why I chose to work there, despite being unpaid, was because the jobcentre recommended it and it is clear that it is not working out for me.

I know this is a silly question but how can I resign or quit from the store and what is an appropriate way of doing so? Should I speak to the jobcentre or email the bhf boss?

I never needed to quite a job in my work history before until now.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    You should probably try and stick it out a little longer - perhaps it was just a bad first day? Give it a few weeks to settle in a bit, and if you are still feeling unhappy speak to your boss/ supervisor (not the guy in change of bhf, but whoever tells you what to do). Email seems a little too casual a way though, you may want to arrange a face-to-face meeting. The jobcentre presumably no longer has anything to do with the job/ you, so I can't see a lot of point talking to them except to find a replacement job.
    It was probably recommended to you to give you some experience in a certain area, e.g. retail, so even if it is unpaid it may help you get a better paid job in the future.
    Don't just give up now!

ReputationRep:
    Why on Earth do you hate it? What do you mean you didn't like the culture and it wasn't what you expected, what did you expect? I volunteer with Cancer Research and I love it, so rewarding knowing that your contribution is making a difference (albeit a small one, but a difference none the less). You're not bound by a contract so leaving will be easy however, I think you should give it a chance.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I'd suggest sticking it out a little longer too. If you do want to quit just talk to that shops manager (or assistant). If you're in a core store you might prefer their f&e so maybe try there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lalalalalalamember)
    Today I have just started working at the british heart foundation and I now hate it. I did not like the culture and it wasn't what I was expecting.

The reason why I chose to work there, despite being unpaid, was because the jobcentre recommended it and it is clear that it is not working out for me.

I know this is a silly question but how can I resign or quit from the store and what is an appropriate way of doing so? Should I speak to the jobcentre or email the bhf boss?

I never needed to quite a job in my work history before until now.
    I volunteered for the BHF for 21 months and loved it. Met some great people and got plenty of customer service experience under my belt as well as a good reference to put on my CV when applying for jobs. One day's not long enough, give it a week at least

ReputationRep:
    I applied to do one shift a week. So it is not full time. Could I just not turn up at all or tell the store that I'm no longer interested in working there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lalalalalalamember)
    I applied to do one shift a week. So it is not full time. Could I just not turn up at all or tell the store that I'm no longer interested in working there?
    Not to sound harsh but surely you can put up with one shift a week for a few months even if you don't like it that much. Or at least until you find another volunteer opportunity.

If you stick at it then it will look good on your CV, you will have examples of when you have done things which is useful at interview, and you will probably be able to use someone there as a job reference which will look better and more professional than using a personal reference.

Either way, just not turning up is really rude.

ReputationRep:
    Accept any opportunity to gain work experience and develop the skills.. What did you expect? To put you somewhere in a higher position or what?..

Poll
Which pet is the best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.