Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Contamination OCD/Emetophobia at Uni?? Watch

    • Thread Starter

    I'm starting uni this October and have suffered with the above severely for the last 4 years, one of which I was completely housebound due to panic attacks and extreme anxiety. I've had and am having therapy for all of that time but to varying degrees of helpfulness.

    Going to uni this year, I'm a bit concerned that the panic and anxiety is going to get the better of me and I won't be able to make the most of my time there, the main thing that is worrying me is sharing kitchens as my fear of being sick is extremely strong and I don't want to piss everyone off by cleaning things all the time and wanting to segregate my food in my own fridge etc....!!!! Sharing bathrooms is also completely out the question!

    The uni I'm going to has studio rooms with their own kitchens and bathrooms but I'm really worried that DSA won't cover me for it as I can't afford that type of room myself and I am unable to work either.
    Sorry for the ramble but I'm really worried about not being able to do what I've wanted to for so long!

    The studio sounds like a good idea, have you taken a look on the student finance website to see if there is a minimum amount which you are eligible for?

    Perhaps find out the most appropriate department (often the accommodation officer) to check prices and availability as studio flats are usually high demand but low supply! University run halls are usually the cheapest as they are subsidised.

    One thing to remember when looking at uni accommodation and also looking at prices is that most halls and studios look a bit scruffy. Don't worry too much about whether the studio you choose is stylish, if you can move in there and make it your own clean space You should feel more in control and this will reduce anxiety.

    Good luck!
Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 4, 2013
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.