Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

I started uni in September and moved into a student house with two other girls.
    For the first few months I felt excited and happy about finally having some independence but now the novelty is definitely wearing off.
    I get on really well with one of my housemates but the other drives me insane and is a pain in the arse to live with.
    My parents live only 10 minutes away down the road and I am thinking about moving back home.
    I'm worried I will miss having independence and hate it as soon as I move back home but I don't know how much longer I can take.

Do most people feel like this after having moved out?

ReputationRep:
    Depends how well you get on with your parents I suppose. I think the novelty of living in a student house does wear off after a while and sometimes I think it would be easier if I lived at home (too far for me though unfortunately.) You'd save yourself some money too!

That being said, would you move home just because of this girl? It's March so you haven't got long left. 2 months? How long is the contract for? Why not stick it out and find some people you get on better with to move in with next year?

(Original post by rachel.h)
    Depends how well you get on with your parents I suppose. I think the novelty of living in a student house does wear off after a while and sometimes I think it would be easier if I lived at home (too far for me though unfortunately.) You'd save yourself some money too!

That being said, would you move home just because of this girl? It's March so you haven't got long left. 2 months? How long is the contract for? Why not stick it out and find some people you get on better with to move in with next year?
    I don't really know. We knew each other before we moved in and were friends at college but she's just such a pain to live with. Our contract runs out the beginning of July but I need to decide now whether I want to stay in the house next year.
    I have the smallest single room in the house but have a double room at my parents house. I'm getting a bit sick of having no space.
    I'm just generally fed up really. Don't know whether I'm just homesick?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I don't really know. We knew each other before we moved in and were friends at college but she's just such a pain to live with. Our contract runs out the beginning of July but I need to decide now whether I want to stay in the house next year.
    I have the smallest single room in the house but have a double room at my parents house. I'm getting a bit sick of having no space.
    I'm just generally fed up really. Don't know whether I'm just homesick?
    Yeah that's a problem - you think you like someone ... until you try and live with them and find out they're a nightmare!

If you're not happy in this house, signing again for another year isn't going to make you feel much better. Is there nothing else you can try? Maybe even answering ads from people who have a spare room. I know a girl this year who got left out in the house signing and found a lovely house with 2 lovely girls living there. They're final years, they're clean and tidy and don't come back from partying at 2am and make a mess everywhere. Only you can take yourself out of the situation you're in. Are there any coursemates you'd consider moving in with?

Your only other options really are to try and maybe reason with this other girl. Is there anything in particular she does which makes you unhappy or is it simply a clash of personalities? I know it is very difficult to live with someone when you just do not get along.

Or you could try moving home. But I will say that I have about 4 friends who live at home and things generally speaking for all of them have gotten rather strained with their parents. But maybe that's because we're all quite old now

Just take some time to figure out your options before you sign the contract again. The last thing you want to do is sign, realize you can't hack it and then move home and have to continue paying rent to somewhere you're not even living. Maybe you're just homesick because you're not happy where you are?

Yeah that's a problem - you think you like someone ... until you try and live with them and find out they're a nightmare!

If you're not happy in this house, signing again for another year isn't going to make you feel much better. Is there nothing else you can try? Maybe even answering ads from people who have a spare room. I know a girl this year who got left out in the house signing and found a lovely house with 2 lovely girls living there. They're final years, they're clean and tidy and don't come back from partying at 2am and make a mess everywhere. Only you can take yourself out of the situation you're in. Are there any coursemates you'd consider moving in with?

Your only other options really are to try and maybe reason with this other girl. Is there anything in particular she does which makes you unhappy or is it simply a clash of personalities? I know it is very difficult to live with someone when you just do not get along.

Or you could try moving home. But I will say that I have about 4 friends who live at home and things generally speaking for all of them have gotten rather strained with their parents. But maybe that's because we're all quite old now

Just take some time to figure out your options before you sign the contract again. The last thing you want to do is sign, realize you can't hack it and then move home and have to continue paying rent to somewhere you're not even living. Maybe you're just homesick because you're not happy where you are?
    Thanks for posting
    We had a bit of an argument back in November - the other housemate I live with has the same thoughts as me regarding her behaviour. She accused me of being 'domineering' because I told her she was messy and suggested she clear her crap up. She did however get better for a couple of months.
    Now I'm scared to mention anything in fear of her claiming that we are ganging up on her and its been really hard to approach the subject.
    I really don't know what to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thanks for posting
    We had a bit of an argument back in November - the other housemate I live with has the same thoughts as me regarding her behaviour. She accused me of being 'domineering' because I told her she was messy and suggested she clear her crap up. She did however get better for a couple of months.
    Now I'm scared to mention anything in fear of her claiming that we are ganging up on her and its been really hard to approach the subject.
    I really don't know what to do.
    In my experience, it's better to just SAY IT. Get it out there and then everybody's on the same page. Nobody's festering any bad feeling towards another. It is difficult enough living cooped up with, in my case 5 other girls, without secretly absolutely hating something they do which they could easily stop.

Obviously I don't mean just go up to her with a list of things and shout them in her face, but if there's something you can try and discuss with her, I would try. And yeah she might take it the wrong way, she can claim it's her living space too. But it might spur her on a bit to tidy up even if it's just for the sake of keeping the peace.

It's hard not to get bogged down in stuff that goes on in a student house. The smallest thing can seem like the biggest, which it may well be at the time, but you just have to try to remember that it's not forever and it's not the be all and end all of uni.

In my experience, it's better to just SAY IT. Get it out there and then everybody's on the same page. Nobody's festering any bad feeling towards another. It is difficult enough living cooped up with, in my case 5 other girls, without secretly absolutely hating something they do which they could easily stop.

Obviously I don't mean just go up to her with a list of things and shout them in her face, but if there's something you can try and discuss with her, I would try. And yeah she might take it the wrong way, she can claim it's her living space too. But it might spur her on a bit to tidy up even if it's just for the sake of keeping the peace.

It's hard not to get bogged down in stuff that goes on in a student house. The smallest thing can seem like the biggest, which it may well be at the time, but you just have to try to remember that it's not forever and it's not the be all and end all of uni.
    I agree that it would be better to be open about things. But most things she does are just little annoying things and to be honest, when I complain to my boyfriend he doesn't understand why I get so wound up. I feel like I don't really have a valid argument.
    My other housemate and I tend to vent our anger to each other.
    I don't want to upset her, we used to get on well at college...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 5, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.