The Student Room Group

What is the most annoying things other road users do?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
I am a new driver of 18. While i was a learner,some people literally used to take a piss out of me. I mean, man!! i am just learning. Can't they see that L plate? Firstly, i used to be afraid because driving, not a easy thing and secondly, some stupid people used to give horn and shout at me taking their head out off the window which used to scare me even more and lose my confidence. Also, everyone should understand that they should maintain a distance from a learner's car coz it may go reverse, init?? No one's perfect, are they? Then why do some act so cheap?
Sorry, if this is little out of topic but i thought to express sth regarding during the learning period.
(edited 10 years ago)
Fair enough I've only been driving properly a week, but I have been keeping my driving up since passing my test in January, I already know I'm slipping out of things I was taught aha

But the other day a guy was in the left lane at a set of traffic lights (for turning left or straight, the right is just for turning right) had no indicators, and is ahead of the line for the lights (I mean like pretty much the whole car)

Lights change and he cuts across everyone and turns right, where there is another set of traffic lights, this one is where it's left lane turn left only, right lane straight ahead (no right turn) so again this guys in the left lane, and whole car pretty much ahead of the line for the lights.

Lights change again, and he goes zooming off straight, instead of turning left like he should have in that lane.

Another set of lights and again he's in the left lane and full car ahead of line for lights. Luckily he didn't do anymore cutting across lanes or anything, but only because here there is a little island between the two lanes so its pretty impossible for him to do it.

But it was just like mate you clearly don't know where you're meant to be, why are you constantly trying to be ahead of everyone ?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 222
Original post by zippyRN
However your perception of 'safety' is at odds with

-the law
- good sense
- practice of all reputable training providers.

You are an accident statistic waiting to happen if you are lucky you'll just kill yourself , if you are unlucky you'll kill someone else or give yourself a serious head injury which wrecks your quality of life and costs insurers and the tax payer tens of millions of pounds.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Someone can still drive quickly (over the speed limit) but carefully. Just because the law is against speeding, it doesn't make it wrong. People should just use common sense and know when it's appropriate to speed.
Reply 223
Original post by officelinebacker
Of course it's your intention, but nobody ever gets in their car in the morning and thinks "you know what, I'm going to run somebody over today", but it still happens, and the risk of it happening is much higher if you drive like an idiot, as you do.

Just to say that driving slowly is just as bad and dangerous as driving recklessly.
Original post by Iron Lady
Just to say that driving slowly is just as bad and dangerous as driving recklessly.

I didn't say that I drive slowly, or that anybody else should drive slowly, but there is on hel lof a difference between driving slowly and driving responsibly.
When a car uses the least busy lane to go past a queue, then stopping in that lane to try push a gap on the queue. You're not on a motorbike, stop trying to filter you muppets.
Reply 226
I didn't say that I drive slowly, or that anybody else should drive slowly, but there is on hel lof a difference between driving slowly and driving responsibly.

I know, but I do think slow driving is extremely dangerous on the motorway and causes more accidents than reckless driving does.
I know, but I do think slow driving is extremely dangerous on the motorway and causes more accidents than reckless driving does.

No, slow driving doesn't cause accidents, people being impatient and taking risks to get past a slow driver, or not paying attention and driving into the back of them, is what causes the accidents.
Reply 228
No, slow driving doesn't cause accidents, people being impatient and taking risks to get past a slow driver, or not paying attention and driving into the back of them, is what causes the accidents.

So you think we should accommodate the slow drivers on the motorway?

Yes.

You have at least two lanes available to overtake slow drivers, they're not harming anybody as long as they stay in the left lane, and as long as you're not an idiot who speeds up behind them without changing lane then they don't cause a problem at all.

Also, even slow drivers are generally never going slower than the thousands of lorries on the motorway.
London cab drivers eating yoghurts whilst driving.

Motorcyclists texting whilst riding.

People who don't leave enough space when overtaking push-bikes (the Highway code says you should leave as much as you would a car). Van drivers are the biggest offenders here, I don't think they realise how wide they are.

Drivers who open their doors without check for bikes!

Foreigner pedestrians that look left when stepping into the road.

The list goes on...
This raises an interesting point; the government are talking about raising the speed limit to 80 or 90 mph. What do you think?

I personally disagree, people already drive at 80 as if it's legal. If the limit is increased people will just go 10 mph faster so the difference in speed between the slow drivers and the fast ones will be greater increasing the chance of collisions, especially when lane-changing.
Reply 232
Yes.

You have at least two lanes available to overtake slow drivers, they're not harming anybody as long as they stay in the left lane, and as long as you're not an idiot who speeds up behind them without changing lane then they don't cause a problem at all.

Also, even slow drivers are generally never going slower than the thousands of lorries on the motorway.

They're being selfish if they're going too slowly. What if it's busy and the other drivers have no option but to drive behind them?

Original post by MrJohnQCitizen
This raises an interesting point; the government are talking about raising the speed limit to 80 or 90 mph. What do you think?

I personally disagree, people already drive at 80 as if it's legal. If the limit is increased people will just go 10 mph faster so the difference in speed between the slow drivers and the fast ones will be greater increasing the chance of collisions, especially when lane-changing.

I don't think the law will make much difference because as you say people already drive 80 mph.

I don't think it's fair if people are driving quickly, but carefully, they are prosecuted or given a ticket.
Reply 233
Original post by zippyRN
However your perception of 'safety' is at odds with

-the law
- good sense
- practice of all reputable training providers.

You are an accident statistic waiting to happen if you are lucky you'll just kill yourself , if you are unlucky you'll kill someone else or give yourself a serious head injury which wrecks your quality of life and costs insurers and the tax payer tens of millions of pounds.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Since you have never witnessed my driving I ask you not to make judgments on it.

Also.. Why do you even care?
They're being selfish if they're going too slowly. What if it's busy and the other drivers have no option but to drive behind them?.

But on the motorway you're never going to be stuck behind a slow driver unless you're not paying attention and drive right up behind them.

If you actually observe what's going on ahead of you it's easy to spot slow drivers while you're still a long way off and move yourself into another lane before you get anywhere near them.
Reply 235
But on the motorway you're never going to be stuck behind a slow driver unless you're not paying attention and drive right up behind them.

If you actually observe what's going on ahead of you it's easy to spot slow drivers while you're still a long way off and move yourself into another lane before you get anywhere near them.

If they want to drive slowly, they can take a scenic route. The motorways are designed for people to drive at at least 70-80 mph. Not 40-50 mph. If they're not confident enough to drive faster they shouldn't be on the motorway anyway.
Reply 236
Of course it's your intention, but nobody ever gets in their car in the morning and thinks "you know what, I'm going to run somebody over today", but it still happens, and the risk of it happening is much higher if you drive like an idiot, as you do.

have you ever seen me driving? No? So keep your observations of non-observations to your deluded self.
People who speed through average speed check zones on the motorway and slow down for the cameras. Do they not understand what an average speed check is?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unlike you though I only ride at high speed when I know that I'm in a situation where there aren't other people around who I could hurt if things go wrong

There are no situations like this. I've seen fridges in the middle of A roads that I didn't expect to see, yet I avoided it because I was doing a sensible speed and had time to avoid it without endangering other road users. I've seen deer crossing a country road, just as I came round the bend, that I didn't expect to see. Again, I avoided it because I wasn't thrashing it round the bend.

I've seen a car coming the other way and for no apparent reason, lose control and come flipping towards me. You think if I was doing 120mph on this seemingly open highway, I would even be able to write this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Risk is variable ladies and different levels of it are acceptable. If you decide to drive faster the risk increases slightly depending on the limit of observations, but at no point is it at 0 when you are traveling at 65 in a 70 limit. People crash (and manage to roll their cars) at 20mph. This is why you should never drive faster than the observable distance you can stop in. On a clear motorway at 4am in the morning, this might be a very, very long way but on a bendy country road you'd have to vary your speed according to this.

Also, I think people focus on speed to much. Driver skill, in terms of attention, level of perception and anticipation are important imho. People drive and pay different levels of attention to their driving. This is eveident when you see people on the phone, talking and looking at their passenger or smoking etc.

As speed increases, you have to pay considerably more attention to the road ahead. I think some people appreciate this more than others. Hesitation and incompetance is more dangerous.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending