Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

What is the most annoying things other road users do? Watch

• View Poll Results: What is THE most annoying thing other road users do?
    Not indicating
    40.29%
    Tailgaters
    20.87%
    Going too slow in national speed limit areas
    11.65%
    Cyclists being annoying
    7.77%
    Middle lane hoggers
    4.37%
    People who pull out infront of you at junctions and cause you to slow down
    10.68%
    Using/Not using lights when they should be..
    0.97%
    Other: Will post below
    3.40%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motorbiker)
    Yea but unless the road is extra wide then the car will have to go into the other lane anyway if they want to give the single file cyclists a reasonable gap.

The reason most people get annoyed is because they want to squeeze through past a single bike when they shouldn't...
    Thank you, this is the exact reason. Motorists don't ***** when stuck behind a tractor so why are they complaining about being stuck behind a cyclist. it's all borne out of an inability to realize that a bike and a car can't share one lane side by side. The amount of times on narrow roads that I have stayed to the side only to be nearly smashed off the road by a driver with no spatial awareness. For this reason if the road is really narrow I just stay dead in the middle and put my finger up to anyone who honks.

(Original post by Motorbiker)
    This annoys the HELL out of me. I am a cyclist and will always use the cycle path and then tohers will go on the road instead even though the cycle path took months of traffic congestion and road works to be built ffs...
    Gotta disagree here. Cycle paths tend to be bumpy, full of glass and always breaking up with poor signage. It's far less hassle and much quicker to just stay in the road. Unless it's a dual carriageway I use the road.

ReputationRep:
    I hate those ****ers that don't give a thank you wave when you give way to them on a narrow road. Is it really too much effort just to raise your fingers off the steering wheel?

ReputationRep:
    Motorists thinking that they own the road.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SR255)
    Motorists don't ***** when stuck behind a tractor
    We definitely do.

ReputationRep:
    Not indicating. Although lane hoppers wick me off too

ReputationRep:
    Cyclist here.

1) Motorists who overtake me to turn left. It's simple physics, you have to slow down to take the turn meaning that I who is moving at a constant speed will slam into your side. Just be patient and wait for me to clear the junction.

2) Motorists forcing me out of a lane The rudeness of this is what gets me. Just ignore my existence in the lane and turn your car right into me. All will work out fine.

3) Motorists *****ing if I'm in the middle of the lane yet following the limit. What? you want me to do 30 in the gutter inches from the kerb?

3) Motorists *****ing if I'm in the middle of the lane yet there is another car directly in front of me. If I move out of the way you will be able to accelerate forward by about four feet. Is it really worth beeping your horn at me?

4) Motorists *****ing when I am trying to stay out of the door zone.

5) Motorists who pass me with millimeters to spare especially when there is another empty lane sometimes even two. WHY?

6) Motorists on their mobile phone. Never paying attention

7) Motorists who reverse without looking behind them. Listen people, bicycles can't reverse. If you suddenly reverse into me with 2 feet to spare I am forced to choose between swerving forwards into oncoming traffic in the other lane or pushing backwards with my feet Flintstones style.

8) General impatient motorists. Lights turned green car in front of me on the outside lane was indicating so rather than risking moving forward and he pulls out regardless I just stayed still to indicate him to move out. The whole process took about five seconds yet the guy behind me decided to beep his horn after two. I decided to teach him a lesson by blocking him off and screaming "the **** is your problem?" for a full minute to waste even more of his oh so precious time. Another time my chain fell off at the lights and I was trying to hastily indicate for the guy behind me to give me a second to leave the road but nope he instantly beeps off his horn. Another time there was a pothole so I had to brake sharply. The guy behind me starts beeping. Why are you ****ing tailgating me in the first place?

ReputationRep:
    Making short journeys by car that are a short walk away, so taking up road space for someone making a long journey and not getting exercise. For almost everyone a ten minute walk is not unreasonable.

ReputationRep:
    Not using indicators when changing lanes on the motorway.
    Not using lights in bad weather and assuming the lights are just for their own visibility.
    Using wrong lane purposely on the approach to a roundabout to cut in.

ReputationRep:
    When on the motorway I'm doing 60, and people overtake JUST to get infront of me and then do the same speed. I don't mind if your going to overtake cus you want to do 80 or some ****. But to overtake and do the same speed? Well done. You are now the car ahead of me at the red light we are about to approach. *slow clapping*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruby321)
    When on the motorway I'm doing 60, and people overtake JUST to get infront of me and then do the same speed. I don't mind if your going to overtake cus you want to do 80 or some ****. But to overtake and do the same speed? Well done. You are now the car ahead of me at the red light we are about to approach. *slow clapping*
    I hate that akward moment when you overtake someone doing 55-60 then like a second later it drops to a 50 and you're in the fast lane and can't get back in the slow lane without speeding a bit

ReputationRep:
    Cyclists cycling uphill with a mile long queue of traffic behind them.

ReputationRep:
    I'd go with people not indicating and people who pull out at a junction causing you to slow down.

ReputationRep:
    People who tailgate me when I'm doing the exact speed limit. This happens almost exclusively in 30 zones. Usually there is a good opportunity for them to overtake me (no oncoming traffic, no one directly in front of me etc) but they continue to drive right up my ass. I don't understand why they do it or what they think it's achieving. I always use the left hand lane wherever there a two lanes to let all the speeding idiots overtake me easily but they seem to prefer to try to intimidate me and then overtake after about 5 minutes of tailgating.

ReputationRep:
    There's so many things.

But the big one for me is when people don't know how to use a roundabout.

ReputationRep:
    I think the poll should have had multiple choices, just indicating 1 is not enough.

ReputationRep:
    OH, also:

People who go slower than wagons on motorways, forcing them to overtake.

ReputationRep:
    There are lot of things that irritate me, one of the most is not signalling and not moving the signal lights are green. Once the light turns green then they start the engine.
    Why cant they start as soon as the countdown comes below 5 sec.

ReputationRep:
    At busy roundabouts during peak hours while waiting for a safe gap you notice a car (on the right) not indicating when it is supposed to. You have to wait and see whether or not it is coming in your direction. If not you would have lost your gap, adding to the frustration.

ReputationRep:
    When a lorry overtakes another on a motorway, forcing all the 60mph+ traffic into the fast lane. As someone who tends to drive at 70, I hate being in the same lane as those doing 90mph, even if just for a minute or so. :pierre:

I'm sure this has been said previously.

ReputationRep:
    People who don't pay attention because their too busy on their phone/lighting a fag/eating or drinking/pissing about with radio/or looking at the person in the passenger seat! also people who don't observe that its my right of way because I'm on my motorbike! they wouldn't of done it if I was in my landrover type situation might isn't right....the f*ckin highway code is! oh yeh and that bloke who seems to be in every car park who gets all mardy because I park my bike in a space and he cant find one you would moan if I was in a smart car or even a p50!!! right im stopping before I get carried away ranting

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.