Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

What is the most annoying things other road users do? Watch

• View Poll Results: What is THE most annoying thing other road users do?
    Not indicating
    40.29%
    Tailgaters
    20.87%
    Going too slow in national speed limit areas
    11.65%
    Cyclists being annoying
    7.77%
    Middle lane hoggers
    4.37%
    People who pull out infront of you at junctions and cause you to slow down
    10.68%
    Using/Not using lights when they should be..
    0.97%
    Other: Will post below
    3.40%

ReputationRep:
    People who overtake/undertake me and act aggressively towards me because I am a learner driver

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motorbiker)
    Opinions?

Worst for me is people that don't indicate.

Number of times i've almost been hit by people swerving at the last second with no indication is higher than it should be...

Second would hae to be people that sit in the middle lane all day... Ffs...
    There is one thing you forgot to put on that list and that's people who move without using their mirrors/without looking properly at junctions.

Personally I wouldn't mind people not using their indicators if they used proper observation before making any move, as moving without looking is more dangerous in my opinion than not indicating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sabian92)
    Nothing wrong with being in the middle of the road. It's safer and if they're keeping up with traffic then there's no issue. Aside from that, cyclists ARE traffic.

Of course, cyclists and other slow traffic FORCES you to speed to overtake and nearly knock them off. :rolleyes:

Next time, hang back and consider the guy or girl on the bike might have children, be newly married, or be a child of somebody else. They are not an obstacle, it's a human being. Chill out and be patient. If you see a car coming in the other lane, don't overtake because "OMG a cyclist it hurts my man-ego to be stuck behind such a slow object". How would you like it if you were walking or cycling on a road and some impatient **** sped past you a foot from your elbow?
    I'm a bit confused by what you said as first you say there's nothing wrong with a cyclist being in the middle of the road providing they are keeping up with traffic, which I sort of agree with as if there are long queues and the cars aren't going any faster than the cyclist then it wouldn't annoy me. However you then talk about overtaking, and if it is possible to overtake then logically they can't be "keeping up with traffic".

If therefore the cyclist isn't actually keeping up then I would definitely expect them to move to the side of the road to let the cars past and would do this myself as a cyclist. This is because you choosing a slower mode of transport shouldn't force others who have chosen a faster one to go at your speed. They will have planned when to leave according to their mode of transport and it's unfair for you to make them late. Them being on time could be very important (work, job interview, coach/train to catch and a number of other different reasons) and for that reason I think anyone in the middle of the road not doing the lower out of the speed limit and the speed of the car in front is behaving very inconsiderately and should have chosen another mode of transport if they are either unable or unwilling to go faster.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StacFace)
    I'm a bit confused by what you said as first you say there's nothing wrong with a cyclist being in the middle of the road providing they are keeping up with traffic, which I sort of agree with as if there are long queues and the cars aren't going any faster than the cyclist then it wouldn't annoy me. However you then talk about overtaking, and if it is possible to overtake then logically they can't be "keeping up with traffic".

If therefore the cyclist isn't actually keeping up then I would definitely expect them to move to the side of the road to let the cars past and would do this myself as a cyclist. This is because you choosing a slower mode of transport shouldn't force others who have chosen a faster one to go at your speed. They will have planned when to leave according to their mode of transport and it's unfair for you to make them late. Them being on time could be very important (work, job interview, coach/train to catch and a number of other different reasons) and for that reason I think anyone in the middle of the road not doing the lower out of the speed limit and the speed of the car in front is behaving very inconsiderately and should have chosen another mode of transport if they are either unable or unwilling to go faster.
    There isn't anything wrong with it but I also said (possibly in this thread, possibly not) that if you're on a big heavy bike going slowly then the road isn't the best place for you. If you're hitting 25-30mph (which isn't difficult to do especially with the wind behind you or if you're drafting) then you have every right to be in the middle of the road. In fact you're safer there as if you get a door opened on you at 30mph you will be killed, no question about it. I've seen too many cyclists thinking being over to the left (or right, depending on the country) is safer and it just isn't.

If you're bimbling along at 10 mph then being further over is fine - as long as you move out and ride defensively when the situation calls for it.I still see people hugging the kerb though which is still not safe - you need to be at least 3 feet out so drivers can see you. If you're riding past a line of parked cars then you need to be assertive and prevent people overtaking you so you either don't get doored, or so they don't squeeze you into a row of cars. I've had it done to me by some yobbos in a Corsa who thought it was hilarious. Joke's on them, they got a Section 59 because I caught it on camera

If they don't take into account traffic, then i'm sorry but that isn't my problem. I don't expect nor want to be nearly ran over because somebody is impatient and in a rush for something. If you don't judge the traffic properly then tough - I'd rather you be late than me end up on a slab dead in a mortuary. I'm sure my fiancee would rather that not happen either!

A driver's convenience (or anybody's for that matter) is NOT more important than my safety. Sorry if I hold you up, but that's how it is. If drivers weren't tossers then it'd be different but the fact is most people pass their test then completely forget how to be careful and it's how vulnerable road users end up dead.

ReputationRep:
    There isn't anything wrong with it but I also said (possibly in this thread, possibly not) that if you're on a big heavy bike going slowly then the road isn't the best place for you. If you're hitting 25-30mph (which isn't difficult to do especially with the wind behind you or if you're drafting) then you have every right to be in the middle of the road. In fact you're safer there as if you get a door opened on you at 30mph you will be killed, no question about it. I've seen too many cyclists thinking being over to the left (or right, depending on the country) is safer and it just isn't.

If you're bimbling along at 10 mph then being further over is fine - as long as you move out and ride defensively when the situation calls for it.I still see people hugging the kerb though which is still not safe - you need to be at least 3 feet out so drivers can see you. If you're riding past a line of parked cars then you need to be assertive and prevent people overtaking you so you either don't get doored, or so they don't squeeze you into a row of cars. I've had it done to me by some yobbos in a Corsa who thought it was hilarious. Joke's on them, they got a Section 59 because I caught it on camera

If they don't take into account traffic, then i'm sorry but that isn't my problem. I don't expect nor want to be nearly ran over because somebody is impatient and in a rush for something. If you don't judge the traffic properly then tough - I'd rather you be late than me end up on a slab dead in a mortuary. I'm sure my fiancee would rather that not happen either!

A driver's convenience (or anybody's for that matter) is NOT more important than my safety. Sorry if I hold you up, but that's how it is. If drivers weren't tossers then it'd be different but the fact is most people pass their test then completely forget how to be careful and it's how vulnerable road users end up dead.
    If you are actually travelling at the speed limit then fair enough but in your reply you said "cyclists and other slow traffic" which makes me think of the average cyclist doing something like 10-15mph, which I'm sure is what the person you replied to was thinking of as well.

Taking into account traffic doesn't mean you have the time to travel at half the speed limit all the way there, drivers aren't psychic and can't predict exactly how held up they'll be and they could have already been through heavier than normal traffic earlier on in their route. Even for people not in a rush there's no reason to unnecessarily hold people up.

Of course one person's convenience isn't more important than another's safety but it's a balancing act between the two. If safety was more important at all costs then cars would be illegal because of the potential for accidents. Speed limits are there to achieve that middle ground. You should always travel at them if you are on the main part of the road unless there is a reason for not doing so (eg slow-moving traffic or ice on the road). If you are unwilling or unable to then you shouldn't be in the middle of the road.

ReputationRep:
    It really annoys me when people don't drive at the speed limit in NSL zones when it is safe to do so. Obviously you shouldn't hammer down a single track road at 60, but on a long straight wide road 60 mph is not exactly demanding.

The 45 mph brigade annoy me the most - hold up everyone in a 60 zone, flash and blast the horn at you when you overtake them, and then when you slow down for a 40 or a 30 zone they drive 2 inches off your back bumper.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else find taxis super annoying? They seem to think that they own the road and always stop in the middle of the road. This is in general, I'm sure some taxi drivers aren't as bad

ReputationRep:
    when people pull out forcing you to emergency brake.

yes, emergency brake.

i have had to do that twice. the second time mum was in the car with me... first time ive heard her swear... :P

what ever happened to people looking at blind spots? or people knowing when you have right of way and when you do not? if a car is parked infront of you, you cannot move unless the road is clear on the other side. thats what right of way means!!

grumblegroan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1992LP)
    It really annoys me when people don't drive at the speed limit in NSL zones when it is safe to do so. Obviously you shouldn't hammer down a single track road at 60, but on a long straight wide road 60 mph is not exactly demanding.

The 45 mph brigade annoy me the most - hold up everyone in a 60 zone, flash and blast the horn at you when you overtake them, and then when you slow down for a 40 or a 30 zone they drive 2 inches off your back bumper.
    **** those people in their stupid asses. A good observation by yourself regarding the 45mph brigade lol. Every time I have overtaken them (safely and at good speed) they flash like crazy! Always the ~40mph goers. Well ***** why else did I catch up to you if I wasn't driving faster?

ReputationRep:
    Not indicating because they can easily cause a crash but people going super slow is just as annoying.

ReputationRep:
    Today I've had my fill of the 'Pimped Up Crap Car Brigade'. Who rev loudly for no reason; don't indicate ever, tailgate always (irrespective of the speed limit) and bully their way down dual carriageways. It's just rude.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Noticed a lot more today, but when people indicate after they've turned, like what? haha

ReputationRep:
    All of them!

It's highly annoying when you get stuck behind someone doing 40 when it's perfectly safe and legal to do 60.

It's highly annoying when you're stuck behind a cyclist barely doing 20mph because it's not safe to overtake and they don't think to move over just a tiny bit so you can go around them safely.

It's very frustrating when you go on the motorway because they are the 'fastest and most efficient route' and you keep getting stuck in lane one behind trucks because lane 2 is full of drivers that are too lazy to change lanes and won't bother letting you into their lane so you can overtake the trucks.

Pulling out in front of someone is slightly worse as it is quite likely to cause a collision, either into the car that pulled out or rear-ended by the car behind you when you suddenly brake (or both). I'd say that was more scary than annoying really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NewFolder)
    All of them!

It's highly annoying when you get stuck behind someone doing 40 when it's perfectly safe and legal to do 60.

It's highly annoying when you're stuck behind a cyclist barely doing 20mph because it's not safe to overtake and they don't think to move over just a tiny bit so you can go around them safely.

It's very frustrating when you go on the motorway because they are the 'fastest and most efficient route' and you keep getting stuck in lane one behind trucks because lane 2 is full of drivers that are too lazy to change lanes and won't bother letting you into their lane so you can overtake the trucks.

Pulling out in front of someone is slightly worse as it is quite likely to cause a collision, either into the car that pulled out or rear-ended by the car behind you when you suddenly brake (or both). I'd say that was more scary than annoying really.

In all fairness if they're preventing you from overtaking then it's because they don't want you to squeeze them and potentially cause them injury. It isn't to irritate you - you are in a metal box with airbags, cyclists are at the mercy of car drivers and they have the right to prevent themselves being killed or severely injured. I know some cyclists are inconsiderate (but then that applies to any road users anyway) but honestly, it's because they feel like you can't overtake safely. Moving over doesn't make it safer if it's already not safe.

It is pure impatience on the side of the car user if they can't wait behind a cyclist (or any slow/vulnerable road user for that matter). If you want to be at place X at time Y but there's traffic in way, you can't just barge past. Leave earlier if you don't want to be late.

All it comes down to is convenience not coming before safety. Sorry my bike can't do 40, but you have to wait until I deem it safe for you to overtake as it's my life on the line if you barge past. I don't want to die, my fiancée doesn't want me to die and my family doesn't want me to die. I'm pretty sure you don't want a death by dangerous driving conviction either. Some cyclists (me included) ride with cameras as well so there is evidence in the case of going to the Police and if I think you have put my life in danger, I WILL report you to the Police. You'll also go on YouTube as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    In all fairness if they're preventing you from overtaking then it's because they don't want you to squeeze them and potentially cause them injury. It isn't to irritate you - you are in a metal box with airbags, cyclists are at the mercy of car drivers and they have the right to prevent themselves being killed or severely injured. I know some cyclists are inconsiderate (but then that applies to any road users anyway) but honestly, it's because they feel like you can't overtake safely. Moving over doesn't make it safer if it's already not safe.

It is pure impatience on the side of the car user if they can't wait behind a cyclist (or any slow/vulnerable road user for that matter). If you want to be at place X at time Y but there's traffic in way, you can't just barge past. Leave earlier if you don't want to be late.

All it comes down to is convenience not coming before safety. Sorry my bike can't do 40, but you have to wait until I deem it safe for you to overtake as it's my life on the line if you barge past. I don't want to die, my fiancée doesn't want me to die and my family doesn't want me to die. I'm pretty sure you don't want a death by dangerous driving conviction either. Some cyclists (me included) ride with cameras as well so there is evidence in the case of going to the Police and if I think you have put my life in danger, I WILL report you to the Police. You'll also go on YouTube as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Most cyclists don't annoy me, it's the small minority of those that seem to think that they own the road and/or that they are exempt from the highway code. I mean the ones that cycle right in the middle of a busy road, making it very difficult for drivers to (safely) overtake them.

I see loads of drivers who don't have the patience and will overtake VERY close to the cyclist, I prefer to wait until it is safe to do so, and with the amazing amount of power that my car has, that can be quite a long time. All of this time I'm being tailgated by other drivers who are getting very impatient, and there's a long line of traffic building up behind me.

As I've said, if you cycle in a considerate manner and follow the highway code, I have no problems with you. If you don't, then it is highly annoying. This isn't just for cyclists either, it applies to all road users.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NewFolder)
    Most cyclists don't annoy me, it's the small minority of those that seem to think that they own the road and/or that they are exempt from the highway code. I mean the ones that cycle right in the middle of a busy road, making it very difficult for drivers to (safely) overtake them.

I see loads of drivers who don't have the patience and will overtake VERY close to the cyclist, I prefer to wait until it is safe to do so, and with the amazing amount of power that my car has, that can be quite a long time. All of this time I'm being tailgated by other drivers who are getting very impatient, and there's a long line of traffic building up behind me.

As I've said, if you cycle in a considerate manner and follow the highway code, I have no problems with you. If you don't, then it is highly annoying. This isn't just for cyclists either, it applies to all road users.
    At risk of opening a MASSIVE can of worms here, cyclists own the road as much as car drivers do. We all pay our way towards the roads. Roads were invented for bicycles and horses first anyway but that's another argument....

If the road is busy then I'll ride in the middle of the road if I'm keeping up with the car in front. I'm still a part of traffic as much as you are as a car driver. I will ride towards the kerb (but not next to it, still about a 1/3 of the way across the lane so you can see me) because the closer to the kerb you are the more it invites morons to squeeze past you. I don't see why being on a bicycle means you have to get out of a driver's way - you won't get any further faster by overtaking me.

I do my best to ride (and drive, that being said) in a considerate matter. However, if i think it's dangerous to overtake I WILL stop you by riding deliberately in your way. I'm not holding you up, I'm stopping you from nearly killing me.

That being said, I see cyclists doing some ridiculous things that they don't realise is dangerous. Riding next to a row of parked cars is suicidal - if you get doored, the point of the corner of the door at the top will hit you square in the head and at anything over 15mph it's pretty much a fatal hit. A helmet won't save you because a helmet doesn't cover your forehead.

(I don't mean you as in you, I mean you as in everybody, I'm not having a go at you personally).

ReputationRep:
    Lol good thread! Well last night I found it annoying when I was turning right at an intersection (I had a major car accident last year in that spot) and just because I didn't speed around the corner, I was rudely beeped at! To start off with it was actually the car in front that was taking its time and secondly due to that accident I'm always a bit more careful at intersections e.g. turning the radio off lol and paying closer attention to everything around me.

ReputationRep:
    At risk of opening a MASSIVE can of worms here, cyclists own the road as much as car drivers do. We all pay our way towards the roads. Roads were invented for bicycles and horses first anyway but that's another argument....

If the road is busy then I'll ride in the middle of the road if I'm keeping up with the car in front. I'm still a part of traffic as much as you are as a car driver. I will ride towards the kerb (but not next to it, still about a 1/3 of the way across the lane so you can see me) because the closer to the kerb you are the more it invites morons to squeeze past you. I don't see why being on a bicycle means you have to get out of a driver's way - you won't get any further faster by overtaking me.

I do my best to ride (and drive, that being said) in a considerate matter. However, if i think it's dangerous to overtake I WILL stop you by riding deliberately in your way. I'm not holding you up, I'm stopping you from nearly killing me.

That being said, I see cyclists doing some ridiculous things that they don't realise is dangerous. Riding next to a row of parked cars is suicidal - if you get doored, the point of the corner of the door at the top will hit you square in the head and at anything over 15mph it's pretty much a fatal hit. A helmet won't save you because a helmet doesn't cover your forehead.

(I don't mean you and as you, I mean you as in everybody, I'm not having a go at you personally).
    Aww, I agree with this post! I cycle too in fact I prefer to ride my bike as it's healthy and good for the environment

I too wish that more drivers respected our rights as cyclists on the road. I remember a few weeks ago when I was riding to work when a bus actually went INTO the bike lane I was riding in! I actually felt the wind from the wheels pulling me in its direction... so scary! I try to avoid roads wherever I can.
    • Welcome Squad

It annoys me when they don't indicate because when I try to cross the side road to my college, I sometimes nearly get hit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ash Pearson)
    Aww, I agree with this post! I cycle too in fact I prefer to ride my bike as it's healthy and good for the environment

I too wish that more drivers respected our rights as cyclists on the road. I remember a few weeks ago when I was riding to work when a bus actually went INTO the bike lane I was riding in! I actually felt the wind from the wheels pulling me in its direction... so scary! I try to avoid roads wherever I can.
    Trust me, so do I. The majority of drivers are actually not that bad where I live but the ones that are dicks really ruin it. They don't see a human, they see an obstacle which is wrong.

Bus drivers (actually, any driver who drives heavy vehicles in my experience) don't give 2 flying monkeys if they hit you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyB__ikLyZ8

Example therein....

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.