Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi, so I'm in year 11 at the moment and am currently deciding which A levels to do. At the moment I want to do Maths, Further Maths, Physics and either English Language or Computing. I just want to know, exactly how challenging is Further Maths? My target grade is currently and A and that is the grade I am also working on. However my maths teacher says an A* would be best, and that is what I am personally aiming for. I have an interest in maths and physics and have my sights set on the Cambridge Maths course, but this all rests on my being able to do Further Maths.

tl;dr I want to do Further Maths at A level. How challenging is it, and what grade would you recommend I need in Maths GCSE?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    You would definitely need an A* at gcse however if you love algebra and understand mechanics (harder formulas) in physics further maths should be no problem at all
    If you love maths then don't worry it will all go well!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I definitely love Maths and Physics and I love algebra :rolleyes: my maths teacher is sowing seeds of doubt in my mind... but if I get an A* in my mock it'll be ok

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge maths requires minimum an A* in FM.

ReputationRep:
    Don't want to be rude but if you're only 50:50 on getting an A* at GCSE, FM will probably be too hard unless you pretty much completely focused on it which would probably screw up your other A levels (In the nicest possible way, many people who get A*s at GCSE struggle with regular maths A level)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hassassin04)
    Cambridge maths requires minimum an A* in FM.
    No it doesn't, the minimum is an A at AS-Level actually (although you'd have to be seriously smart to get in with this).

OP: If you really enjoy maths, go for it, but be wary: if you understand how maths works more than just plugging numbers into formulae, you'll do well, but if when you do maths you are just following examples that your teachers have taught you or whatever, then maybe not. But if you want to do maths at uni, it's a must! Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artisha)
    You would definitely need an A* at gcse
    Some schools make this mandatory and it is certainly advisable but to say that a GCSE A* is essential to do Further Maths at a decent standard is completely untrue.

(Original post by LucyTheWeird)
    Hi, so I'm in year 11 at the moment and am currently deciding which A levels to do. At the moment I want to do Maths, Further Maths, Physics and either English Language or Computing. I just want to know, exactly how challenging is Further Maths? My target grade is currently and A and that is the grade I am also working on. However my maths teacher says an A* would be best, and that is what I am personally aiming for. I have an interest in maths and physics and have my sights set on the Cambridge Maths course, but this all rests on my being able to do Further Maths.

tl;dr I want to do Further Maths at A level. How challenging is it, and what grade would you recommend I need in Maths GCSE?

Thanks
    At AS Level, the difficulty of Further Maths is actually very similar to that of Maths, as 2 of the modules done are Applied and the third (FP1) is similar in difficulty to the second module of Maths (C2), with a few things a bit more conceptually challenging, such as proof by induction and complex numbers. However, at A2 level Further Maths is substantially more difficult than Maths, demanding a greater conceptual grasp, more fluent algebraic manipulation and generally more difficult topics.

ReputationRep:
    You don't need an A*, just drive and determination to practice.

ReputationRep:
    No offence OP but if you're unsure if you cod handle FM why do you think you could handle a maths degree at Cambridge?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's not me who's unsure, it's my teacher; personally I'm determined to do it. If I can't I'll be really disappointed in myself to be honest. I am very willing to work for it though.
    Basically, I love everything to do with maths and physics and I really want to do further maths A level.

ReputationRep:
    An A* in GCSE maths doesn't determine what grade you'll get in A level maths and FMaths. I had friends who came out of GCSE with 180-190/200 in Maths and ended up with a B in the Maths A level, and I can tell you from experience Further Maths is really hard.

If you're looking at Cambridge, they'll expect you to ace the STEPS tests aswell which are on a whole other level of rediculous and tonnes of other stuff on top of that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cant_think_of_name)
    No it doesn't, the minimum is an A at AS-Level actually (although you'd have to be seriously smart to get in with this).
    I very much doubt you'll have any chance to get in despite that ' AS only requirement'. Even if they offer you a place with just AS FM or no FM then I bet it will be something like S/S for STEP I, II.
    OP - Just try and see how it goes. You have nothing to lose do you? Drop if you struggle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HenryD)
    No offence OP but if you're unsure if you cod handle FM why do you think you could handle a maths degree at Cambridge?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This. OP, Maths at Cambridge is very hard and fast paced, you will need F.Maths, and even if you did get in without out it, you'd find it insanely hard (I know people who went there, did Natural Sciences, got an A* in A-level maths but failed at Cambridge).

ReputationRep:
    I find this quite disheartening because a career in maths or physics is all I'm really interested in. I'm a good all-rounder but that's just what I enjoy doing most. As for physics, I'm currently finding it really easy. I don't know if this has any bearing on how I will fare at Maths/Further Maths A levels though.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say do it if you really like the mathsy type thing
    Don't listen to those who said you need an A* you don't, some people peak at different times, like myself I have been constant with my grades from GCSE to A Level Maths and FMaths and never peaking just staying at the same grade no matter what difficulty but others I know got an A* in GCSE then got a B in Maths and then a D in Fmaths, it depends on how much you like the subject.

ReputationRep:
    I find this quite disheartening because a career in maths or physics is all I'm really interested in. I'm a good all-rounder but that's just what I enjoy doing most. As for physics, I'm currently finding it really easy. I don't know if this has any bearing on how I will fare at Maths/Further Maths A levels though.
    At your stage I would not be thaaat certain about what you want to do and whether you really enjoy the subject or not as much as you thought initially. Maths / physics at uni is very different to A levels and even more to GCSEs. Nonetheless, I believe that most people can actually achieve and meet the criteria required for Cambridge maths in 2-3 years ( assuming you got that much time ) given that they make it as their priority number one. So ask yourself how much indeed it is the thing you enjoy the most? Are you ready to study 8-9 hours a day if required ?Would you still enjoy it? if so then surely give it a go. And don't think if its hard or not. Just do your best and if you find it hard so that you can't handle it then surely Cambridge maths and probably maths anywhere is not for you.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah the thing is I have loved physics for a long time now, it is one of my main interests thanks to programmes like Horizon which brought up quantum physics, something which I find just fantastic XD so if I can't study Maths or Physics at university then I'm pretty much a failure to myself because if I can't do that I can't do what I love. So that's my perspective on it haha

ReputationRep:
    You don't need an A* at gcse maths it means nothing. Some people in my maths got an A* at gcse and are really struggling but other only got A's and are doing much better.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I definitely love Maths and Physics and I love algebra :rolleyes: my maths teacher is sowing seeds of doubt in my mind... but if I get an A* in my mock it'll be ok
    alevel physics is a *****! so many wordy things! F maths is easier in my opinion . maths f maths and physics is like one extended subject so in that respect it'll make it easier . Go for it and good luck! Also only do english if u really good! I hear it is a hard alevel! lots of essays and stuff

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I currently do further maths AS and I only got an A in my GCSE maths. I'm looking at realistically achieving a B or A in the summer so people that say you need an A* at GCSE are wrong.

All you need is good understanding of maths and the ability to work hard.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.