Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi guys, i am a guy that studies A-level maths physics and chemisrty, and i really like all of these subjects, although chemistry is boring.
    i am confused what majore to choose
    mechanical engineering(they say it is difficult)
    chemical engineering (not worth it and no jobs)
    computer engineering( full of demand)
    plz i want advise in best major involvivng chemistry and physics?
    thanx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    I chose geology...turned out to have a really nice mix of the physics (geophysics, plate tectonics), chemistry (geochemistry, chemical oceanography, petrology) and the maths comes in handy too. I had absolutly no previous experience in the subject but found it a really enjoyable and useful degree - it develops your skills for studying the world around you but also making decisions and coming to conclusions in areas where things aren't so cut and dried as they are in many other subjects. The analytical skills are very highly valued in everyday worklife...and there is also the opportunity for staying within geology and travelling the world.
    thanx for your reply, but i am not into geography nor geology
    i real have no idea of history or geography or eaert stuff

ReputationRep:
    Alternatively you might want to investigate civil and/or environmental engineering - plenty of jobs and they're more likely to use your chemistry experience than mech or comp sci.
    and what jobs can we het in environmental engineering, coz i rarely have an experience in biology?

ReputationRep:
    (tbh when I started my degree neither did I - although I was very much into environmentalism my experience of geography GCSE had put me right off the subject)

what are you interested in - which parts of physics/chem/maths have you enjoyed - what subjects interest you outside of your a levels etc etc.

With those three A levels you are by no means restricted to taking an engineering course if it doesn't excite you - they're some of the most versatile subjects to base a degree on....it's very easy to get trapped in the idea of having to continue one of your A level subjects on to degree level or take the tried and tested route of engineering. There are so many options for you that it's a shame to simply pick something that seems apropriate rather than something that excites your interest.
    what r u majoring in?

ReputationRep:
    environmental engineering is very much focussed on the chemistry and physics of the environment and how they interact with engineering (specifically civil engineering projects).

The sort of jobs available can vary from advising on the building of sea defences here in the UK to travelling to all parts of the world to help find clean sources of water - to borrow from a website:

so what do u advise me?
    btw whats your name and age?

ReputationRep:
    I graduated from a geology degree just over 2 yrs ago now (I did maths physics and chem A level and the only thing I was sure of when applying for university was that I didn't want to continue with maths physics or chemistry).

If you're interested in engineering have you thought about attending a summer school (one of these was actually what put me off doing engineering but there were plenty of people there who found it reinforced their interest).

http://www.enginuity.org.uk/enginuity/frame.htm (if you're female)
    or
    http://www.hdstart.org.uk/ (if you're human)

I went on the headstart one but we ended up spending alot of time alongside the insight girls only group too (there were only 6 of us girls in the headstart group)

ReputationRep:
    I graduated from a geology degree just over 2 yrs ago now (I did maths physics and chem A level and the only thing I was sure of when applying for university was that I didn't want to continue with maths physics or chemistry).

If you're interested in engineering have you thought about attending a summer school (one of these was actually what put me off doing engineering but there were plenty of people there who found it reinforced their interest).

http://www.enginuity.org.uk/enginuity/frame.htm (if you're female)
    or
    http://www.hdstart.org.uk/ (if you're human)

I went on the headstart one but we ended up spending alot of time alongside the insight girls only group too (there were only 6 of us girls in the headstart group)
    i really thank u for your help, u are so fine
    i would like to keep chatting with u
    u have msn?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by omario)
    i really thank u for your help, u are so fine
    i would like to keep chatting with u
    u have msn?
    u there pencilqueen?

ReputationRep:
    I don't have msn I'm afraid - I'm at work so I can only post when I've got a free minute or two
    ok thank u good luck in your work
    where do u work

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.