Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, just a quick query; if a metal salt solution (essentially water for all intents and purposes) is very highly pressurised by a pump to levels such as those between 100 and 250 bar, and having started at 1 atm pressure, what will happen to the temperature? Obviously it will increase, but will it be a significant amount? And where can I actually find data to tell me what the temperature will be exactly after this pressure change? Thanks!!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    What kind of process are we discussing here? I suppose that'll depend on what type of pump we're talking about here, i.e. whether it's a rotating pump or a positive displacement pump.

Once you know what kind of process it is there are standard equations that can be used to tell you the new temperature.

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't you use pV=nRT (think that's the equation any way) where p is pressure, v volume, n the number of moles of the substance, R being a constant and T the temperature? Then just take your starting temperature from your final temperature? I may be wrong as it's late ish and my mind isn't working particularly well...

Oh, the pressure has to be in Pascals though, and R=8.31

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HJFelton)
    Couldn't you use pV=nRT (think that's the equation any way) where p is pressure, v volume, n the number of moles of the substance, R being a constant and T the temperature? Then just take your starting temperature from your final temperature? I may be wrong as it's late ish and my mind isn't working particularly well...

Oh, the pressure has to be in Pascals though, and R=8.31

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I might be wrong, but I'm fairly sure that's for gases.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rob da Mop)
    I might be wrong, but I'm fairly sure that's for gases.
    Um yeah it is.. Obviously too late for me :L

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.