Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

GP referred me to professional for depression, they wouldn't see me Watch

GP referred me to professional for depression, they wouldn't see me and just sent a list of websites to look at.

Basically, I'm 19 and have been suffering for depression for 5 years or so. I was finally diagnosed in 2009. I had counselling in 2010 and have tried different meds since then, but they haven't done anything. Are they allowed to "refuse" to see me? (That's essentially what they did, I've been waiting for an appointment for several months, the last place cancelled my appointment because I moved slightly out of the catchment area, so I've been waiting for almost a year!). The depression is much worse now. I need proper support which my GP can't give me. Why wouldn't they give me an appointment?

ReputationRep:
    Go back to your GP and get them to sort it, spell out for them exactly the effects its having on your life and be assertive that they do something for you.

ReputationRep:
    well until you get your appointment, you can always talk to us... I am sure someone else here has been in your position. As well as that I have been and seen such pretty weird sh*t, so if you ever need someone to talk to it helps to express yourself to random strangers, as you probably never meet them in real life!
    Keep pestering for the appointment, can you go to somewhere privately?
    Sorry for the useless info^-^x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    GP referred me to professional for depression, they wouldn't see me and just sent a list of websites to look at.

Basically, I'm 19 and have been suffering for depression for 5 years or so. I was finally diagnosed in 2009. I had counselling in 2010 and have tried different meds since then, but they haven't done anything. Are they allowed to "refuse" to see me? (That's essentially what they did, I've been waiting for an appointment for several months, the last place cancelled my appointment because I moved slightly out of the catchment area, so I've been waiting for almost a year!). The depression is much worse now. I need proper support which my GP can't give me. Why wouldn't they give me an appointment?
    Are you saying the second place refuses to see you full stop, or that you are on a waiting list and they'll see you when you get to the front of the queue?

The advice to go back to your GP is good. Often the urgency with which cases are seen depends on some sort of points score which purports to measure how serious your condition is. I can't say if that's how it works in your case, but it is worth asking your GP to see if your score can be reassessed.

If the waiting list is full and you can't get an appointment, could you take up someone else's cancelled appointment at short notice? I needed a physio to sort out an injury, and there was a 6-week waiting list, but I got seen in under 2 weeks because I kept phoning and asking if there were any cancellations.

One reason why a counselor might refuse to see you at all (if that is what has happened) is that there could be some doubt about whether you would stick to the treatment protocol. If you have a record of stopping medication, that could be acting against you. Doctors are generally OK with stopping treatment because of side effects, but patients who stop for any other reason don't always get much sympathy.

But ultimately, this is a serious medical matter - you'd be better getting advice from your GP, not from well-meaning amateurs like me.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Sadly sometimes you have to really be persistent and pester GPs. This isn't really ideal for people with depression because that's understandably difficult.
    My advise is to go back, do it again and again until you feel like you are getting the results you want.Treatment for depression is hardly ever a 'take and forget' thing anyway - you should have reasonably frequent appointments to discuss how things are going for adjustments/changing meds.

Also, some waiting lists are just really long. Its not ideal but sometimes you just have to be patient...

Good luck

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 5, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.