Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

Does the CERN Supercollide employ many chemical engineers? Watch

ReputationRep:
    It looks like an amazing, interesting and basically weird place to work, is there anything i can do/route to go down to increase my chances as a Chemical engineering masters grad?

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    Unlikely - mechanical and electrical/electronic/control would be the dominant disciplines I'd imagine.

ReputationRep:
    Mostly engineers and physicists. It wouldn't hurt to ask, but I don't think they really deal in chemical sciences exactly - Most of the experiments are about particle collisions. Sure, this has a chemistry, but they're more focused on the physical properties. There may be the odd job in this field, but it's really not their major focus.

I can't remember the exact value, but I think they have something lik 5-20 times as many engineers as physicists. It's a huge engineering project! There are other smaller projects at CERN, so there is the chance that one of them may need someone good in chemistry.

They run summer and full year placements, so you could have a look and see which subject areas they're taking students in from. Failing that, email the careers team and ask them your question.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 16, 2013
Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.