Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I've been asked to go to the chemistry open day at Cardiff on the 15th of March and that includes an informal interview.

CRAP! Please can anyone tell me what that means and should I be nervous for it?

I applied to Cardiff expecting a rejection but i thought i'd try my luck anyway, then i got an email saying it was very likely they'll make me an offer but they want to meet me and make sure the course is right for me.

None of my other universities have interviewed me. I know I'm going to be asked some chemistry questions.... I also know I'm going to panic and mess every answer i give them up!

So please, any advice, previous experiences of a similar situation, types of questions they might ask etc will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by namelocscott)
    Hi all,

I've been asked to go to the chemistry open day at Cardiff on the 15th of March and that includes an informal interview.

CRAP! Please can anyone tell me what that means and should I be nervous for it?

I applied to Cardiff expecting a rejection but i thought i'd try my luck anyway, then i got an email saying it was very likely they'll make me an offer but they want to meet me and make sure the course is right for me.

None of my other universities have interviewed me. I know I'm going to be asked some chemistry questions.... I also know I'm going to panic and mess every answer i give them up!

So please, any advice, previous experiences of a similar situation, types of questions they might ask etc will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    The open days and interviews really aren't that bad, definitely nothing to worry about. All the staff and students working on the day are really friendly and are just there to answer your questions.

The main bulk of the day is made up of your your tour of the Uni, tour of the department and a couple of talks, and the interviews themselves come near the end and are really informal. You just go to one of the tutors offices and basically have a chat, about your personal statement, the university, why chemistry etc (I can't promise anything, but interviewer didn't ask me any questions directly about chemistry), and ask any questions you may have.

If you have any more questions then please ask, and good luck!
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Really? Oh that's good, maybe I'm worrying for nothing, I hope they don't test my knowledge on chemistry though.

Are you a currently a chemistry student at Cardiff?

Thank you for replying by the way, you've genuinely put my mind at ease now! I hope it is as laid back as you say.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Really? Oh that's good, maybe I'm worrying for nothing, I hope they don't test my knowledge on chemistry though.

Are you a currently a chemistry student at Cardiff?

Thank you for replying by the way, you've genuinely put my mind at ease now! I hope it is as laid back as you say.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Even if they do ask chemistry knowledge questions, which they might, they're not looking for right or wrong answers, they just want to see your enthusiasm for the subject and how you think.

I'm not currently a Cardiff student, but hopefully will be in September. MChem at Cardiff is my firm offer and I absolutely love the place. Just need to get the grades now.

And no worries at all. I was worried about it like you before I went to my interview at the end of January, and I know I'd have appreciated the advice just to put my mind at rest. Just relax and let your enthusiasm show and you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexanderCLea)
    Even if they do ask chemistry knowledge questions, which they might, they're not looking for right or wrong answers, they just want to see your enthusiasm for the subject and how you think.

I'm not currently a Cardiff student, but hopefully will be in September. MChem at Cardiff is my firm offer and I absolutely love the place. Just need to get the grades now.

And no worries at all. I was worried about it like you before I went to my interview at the end of January, and I know I'd have appreciated the advice just to put my mind at rest. Just relax and let your enthusiasm show and you'll be fine.
    Okay, relax and show my enthusiasm, I'll remember that!

What are they asking for to do the masters? I was going to apply to that but I didn't want to push my luck, I'll be lucky if I get the grades to get onto the BSc course, never mind the masters, although I'd love to do it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Okay, relax and show my enthusiasm, I'll remember that!

What are they asking for to do the masters? I was going to apply to that but I didn't want to push my luck, I'll be lucky if I get the grades to get onto the BSc course, never mind the masters, although I'd love to do it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    AAB for the MChem and ABB for the BSc. The good thing about it though, is that you don't really have to decide until you're there. The first 2 years are identical for all chemistry courses, so if you apply for the BSc but are doing well enough after two years, you can move up to the MChem no problem.

ReputationRep:
    AAB for the MChem and ABB for the BSc. The good thing about it though, is that you don't really have to decide until you're there. The first 2 years are identical for all chemistry courses, so if you apply for the BSc but are doing well enough after two years, you can move up to the MChem no problem.
    Ah that's cool that you can do that, best get my head down and start working then. ABB for the BSc? I'm predicted BBB and I'm told it's very likely they'll make me an offer. Oh, I've got no chance have I! Haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ah that's cool that you can do that, best get my head down and start working then. ABB for the BSc? I'm predicted BBB and I'm told it's very likely they'll make me an offer. Oh, I've got no chance have I! Haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They said it was very likely they'd make me an offer in the e-mail about the open day, and then one of the first thing that Tom Tatchell said when we got there was that everyone in the room would be being made an offer.

And I think they can lower the offer to BBB, but I'm not sure if there need to be mitigating circumstances like illness or something. Still, that's only one grade off ABB, so you could be able to push one of those Bs up to an A.

ReputationRep:
    They said it was very likely they'd make me an offer in the e-mail about the open day, and then one of the first thing that Tom Tatchell said when we got there was that everyone in the room would be being made an offer.

And I think they can lower the offer to BBB, but I'm not sure if there need to be mitigating circumstances like illness or something. Still, that's only one grade off ABB, so you could be able to push one of those Bs up to an A.
    Well that's reassuring! My cousin is coming with me to the open day, will she be able to come on the tour and to the talks with me do you know?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well that's reassuring! My cousin is coming with me to the open day, will she be able to come on the tour and to the talks with me do you know?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There's a separate programe of events planned for parents, so I'd imagine she'd definitely be able to go on that. I cant see any reason why she wouldn't be able to go around with you doing the applicant tour and whatnot, but you'd have to check with the staff on the day to be sure, or you could just e-mail Tom.

ReputationRep:
    There's a separate programe of events planned for parents, so I'd imagine she'd definitely be able to go on that. I cant see any reason why she wouldn't be able to go around with you doing the applicant tour and whatnot, but you'd have to check with the staff on the day to be sure, or you could just e-mail Tom.
    I emailed Tom a while back and asked if she could come and he said yes that's fine. Didn't say anything about whether she'd be able to come on the applicant tour or not. I'm not too bothered about that anyway, was just curious.

Again, thank you for answering my questions, I'm much more relaxed about it now.
    I just want it to be over with now, but hopefully I'll get an offer so I can pick it as my firm!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I emailed Tom a while back and asked if she could come and he said yes that's fine. Didn't say anything about whether she'd be able to come on the applicant tour or not. I'm not too bothered about that anyway, was just curious.

Again, thank you for answering my questions, I'm much more relaxed about it now.
    I just want it to be over with now, but hopefully I'll get an offer so I can pick it as my firm!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No worries at all. Good luck, and hopefully we'll be coursemates in September!

ReputationRep:
    No worries at all. Good luck, and hopefully we'll be coursemates in September!
    Thanks and yeah hopefully! I'll let you know how it goes. :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Good luck tomorrow/today, depending in when you read this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Good luck tomorrow/today, depending in when you read this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you!

I'm in the hotel now, I've had an explore around Cardiff today and I love it!

I'm scared for tomorrow now though, I really want them to give me an offer!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hello man, the open day is over, interview done and I'm in love with the place!

They said what you said "everyone here will be made an offer" so I'm very happy!! Definitely going to pick it as my firm!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hello man, the open day is over, interview done and I'm in love with the place!

They said what you said "everyone here will be made an offer" so I'm very happy!! Definitely going to pick it as my firm!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's great, well done! It's exactly what I was like when I finished my open day, there was just no other place I could really even consider choosing as my firm!

Have you got any thoughts on what accommodation you might apply for?

Good luck for your June exams, and like I said, hopefully see you in September!

ReputationRep:
    That's great, well done! It's exactly what I was like when I finished my open day, there was just no other place I could really even consider choosing as my firm!

Have you got any thoughts on what accommodation you might apply for?

Good luck for your June exams, and like I said, hopefully see you in September!
    Yeah, I spoke to a current postgraduate student who's been there for 6 years about accommodation and he said he stayed in taly court and if he could do it all again he still pick taly court. He said he'd recommend any of the Talybont accommodation though if taly court wasn't available as they're all really close to the university. So I think k I'll list the Talybont accommodation as my choices. What about you, have thought about which accommodation you might apply for?

Thanks, good luck to you too, I'm going to do my absolute best because I can't imagine not going to Cardiff now and hopefully I will see you there!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I spoke to a current postgraduate student who's been there for 6 years about accommodation and he said he stayed in taly court and if he could do it all again he still pick taly court. He said he'd recommend any of the Talybont accommodation though if taly court wasn't available as they're all really close to the university. So I think k I'll list the Talybont accommodation as my choices. What about you, have thought about which accommodation you might apply for?

Thanks, good luck to you too, I'm going to do my absolute best because I can't imagine not going to Cardiff now and hopefully I will see you there!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've already done my application, I chose Tally South as my first choice, then Colum Hall, Tally Court and the 3 different Tally North rooms I think. You have to fill out 10 choices, but I'm hoping I'll get South as everything I've read and heard says Tally's the place to be, and I love the look and price of South.

ReputationRep:
    I've already done my application, I chose Tally South as my first choice, then Colum Hall, Tally Court and the 3 different Tally North rooms I think. You have to fill out 10 choices, but I'm hoping I'll get South as everything I've read and heard says Tally's the place to be, and I love the look and price of South.
    I was looking at Colum hall too! I'll probably have the same choices as you then. I've heard Taly South is the place to be but I've also heard all the Talybont buildings have quite bad silverfish infestations. That's kinda off putting like. :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.