Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,

Main question
    My main question is do I stand a chance of getting into a leading philosophy course? And if so would I be looking at an Undergrad course or a Postgrad one?

Background
    I'm an Australian undergrad student studying a combined degree in Arts and Law. I've majored in International Studies and haven't taken any Philosophy units. I'm still completing my degree and am due to graduate at year's end.

I should also say my University is a smaller one (Deakin University) which is not internationally recognised.

Marks
    My marks are pretty good. My university calculates marks via a WAM which multiplies the score from each unit by the credit points obtained from that unit (nearly every subject is worth one credit point, although I did an internship unit worth 4 points). My overall WAM comes to around the 76% mark which is a Distinction grade for my university. If you look at Arts alone my WAM is roughly 81% which is a High Distinction grade (not sure how relevant this is).

Why I want to study philosophy
    I'm well advanced on the path of working at a law firm and have done internships at a few firms. However in the last year or so I can't help feeling that I have something else to offer the world other than being a lawyer.

I've always been a deep thinker and lately have become quite interested in analysing what we as humans are motivated by and for. I suppose I'm particularly interested in analysing why we've been put on this earth .

What universities am I looking at

I won't lie, sitting where I am in Australia I'm immediately drawn to the prestige of Oxford and Cambridge. Prestige is important to an extent as it's a bit hard justifying a move across the world to go to a smaller institution like where I've done my undergrad. I really like the idea of attending a world leading institution.

At the same time I want to go to a place where I'd meet a lot of interesting and thought evoking students and lecturers. For that reason I'm thinking undergrad might be better as I'd be around more students.

I am though a bit frustrated with the constraints of undergrad study and I'd like to be doing my own thinking and analysis rather than drawing together the work of others and drawing conclusions, so perhaps post grad study would be preferable.

Summary
    What universities meet this description and are my marks good enough to get me in?

Many thanks!

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.