The Student Room Group

Theatre IPP word count

Hello. I am currently finishing my Theatre IPP (I'm taking HL), trying to cut down the word count, as I am over by about 150 words. What really concerns me is this: I have been advised by my teacher to make perfectly sure that I do not go a single word over. One may think that the examiners may not notice a word or two over / under, but it turns out that some students last year had deliberately written down their word count as around exactly 3000, and the IB examiners found out that they were over by no more than 4 words. They were penalised by getting 4 / 10 in one of the criteria. It turns out that they do really count the words; I never thought about lying, of course, but what scared me is that I may have misunderstood what does and does not count as word count. This is from IB:

"All external references (textual, published interviews etc.) do not count towards the word count. Bibliography, appendices, footnotes and brief captions do not count towards the word count. All materials produced by the student (past writing, journal entries, quotations from class etc.) are considered part of the word count."

From what I understand by this, any quotations do NOT count (this is correct, right?) Also, I assumed that words such as "on right" "above" inside brackets to refer to pictures beside or above the writing would be considered as "brief captions", and therefore not count towards the word count. I also did not count table headings, which I thought was supposed to be the case since headings, in general, do not count. Are my assumptions correct? So, as long as I do not make a mistake in counting the words, I would not be penalised for having 3,000 words EXCLUDING table headings, quotes and the "brief captions", is this correct?
Also, it says that "quotations from class" count as word count.... what if those quotes are not from me, "the student", but from another student?

Thank you very much, in advance, for helping & reading. I am quite desperate about this, as it is due in very soon for me.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending