Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Does anyone else get this? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've been getting this since I was about 9. This is the first time I've ever talked about it simply because it's just SO hard to explain. It's something I can turn a blind eye to because it only happens about once a week for about 30 seconds, but it's not nice.

I'll be lying in bed waiting to nod off, or standing stationary in a silent place, when these unpleasant thoughts enter my head. It happened last night: I was mulling over a conversation I'd had earlier that day, and then I just started writing the person's name in my head - with some glowing silver paint-like stuff inside a black nothingness (this is irrelevant) - and then that familiar unpleasant feeling came. It was like the utensil I was writing with became really powerful and violent and like, everything was still silent but there was a deafening undercurrent(?). I'm not making any sense!

A better example: There are 2 strands of something (a jelly-like substance, or hair) floating side by side. One is very, very thin, the other is very, very fat. They're at such opposite ends of the scale that seeing them together in my head just really distresses me and there's a voice in my head narrating the situation and it's calm but it might as well be screaming because it's unsettling me in a way that a scream would.

I very much doubt I'll get an answer to this, because I can imagine how little sense it makes. I doubt I've explained it very well at all. In my head it's a lot scarier. As I say, though, it's not a massive problem in my life - just something I'd rather not experience once a week. And it just really mystifies me because I've been getting it since I was about 9 and I remember once waking up crying when I was 10 because it entered one of my dreams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raaachek)
    I've been getting this since I was about 9. This is the first time I've ever talked about it simply because it's just SO hard to explain. It's something I can turn a blind eye to because it only happens about once a week for about 30 seconds, but it's not nice.

I'll be lying in bed waiting to nod off, or standing stationary in a silent place, when these unpleasant thoughts enter my head. It happened last night: I was mulling over a conversation I'd had earlier that day, and then I just started writing the person's name in my head - with some glowing silver paint-like stuff inside a black nothingness (this is irrelevant) - and then that familiar unpleasant feeling came. It was like the utensil I was writing with became really powerful and violent and like, everything was still silent but there was a deafening undercurrent(?). I'm not making any sense!

A better example: There are 2 strands of something (a jelly-like substance, or hair) floating side by side. One is very, very thin, the other is very, very fat. They're at such opposite ends of the scale that seeing them together in my head just really distresses me and there's a voice in my head narrating the situation and it's calm but it might as well be screaming because it's unsettling me in a way that a scream would.

I very much doubt I'll get an answer to this, because I can imagine how little sense it makes. I doubt I've explained it very well at all. In my head it's a lot scarier. As I say, though, it's not a massive problem in my life - just something I'd rather not experience once a week. And it just really mystifies me because I've been getting it since I was about 9 and I remember once waking up crying when I was 10 because it entered one of my dreams.
    I have an idea of what this might be. It only lasts for a short time, but in that time can you concentrate on anything else while it is happening?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by draghm)
    I have an idea of what this might be. It only lasts for a short time, but in that time can you concentrate on anything else while it is happening?
    Maybe I could concentrate on something else if I really tried, but it's such a strange feeling that I just succumb to it and try and work out what's going on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raaachek)
    Maybe I could concentrate on something else if I really tried, but it's such a strange feeling that I just succumb to it and try and work out what's going on.
    If it what I think it may be, it needs a visit to your GP to get it checked out.

ReputationRep:
    You're mad as a hatter I'm afraid.

To be serious though, it may be something, I'd suggest talking to a medical professional if it is a real problem for you.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Yup, visit your GP and blurt it all out. You ain't nuts but probably anxiety is getting the better of you.

Your GP will be empathetic. :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by draghm)
    If it what I think it may be, it needs a visit to your GP to get it checked out.
    Eh?! What do you think it might be?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 7, 2013
Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.