Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

I have a question that i have been thinking about for a long time but cannot get an answer to. So i'm putting it up for discussion it is:

"Why are 'know-it-alls' perceived negatively?"

This might sound a bit silly, but let me explain: If you show off how much you know on a routine basis, people tend to find you annoying. It is not an attractive trait (or so i find, i could be wrong!) but really from a psychological point of view it doesn't make a lot of sense:
    1. you are showing confidence in your own knowledge, confidence being a widely considered attractive trait
    2. you are demonstrating intelligence, also more often than not considered positively
    i wanna hear your thoughts! try and keep it scientific if you can haha, i'm looking for a psychological answer not a philosophical answer!

Richie
    • PS Helper

Because a know it all is perceived as persistently highlighting others lack of knowledge, or not giving them the time to get to the answer. Demonstrating immodesty which is considered unattractive, and arrogance can be associated, or overconfidence.

Why didn't you just think about why you don't like "know it alls"

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.