Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,
    I am an MPhil student in my second year of part-time study at UCL. I am in the humanities field. My advisors keep making me rewrite the first chapter, I am on my 4th draft now. Ultimately when they deem it suitable, this is the chapter I will use for my upgrade from MPhil to PhD student. Should I be concerned? How many rewrites is too many?

Thanks
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    As many as is required. The point is that getting it right now will improve your chances of a smooth upgrade process. Also, you will most likely use parts of this for your final PhD thesis so it's definitely worth putting in that extra effort.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    As many as is required. The point is that getting it right now will improve your chances of a smooth upgrade process. Also, you will most likely use parts of this for your final PhD thesis so it's definitely worth putting in that extra effort.
    Thanks so much. I'm wondering still about other people's experience.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Well it really depends on how practised you are and how well developed your writing style already is. The first dissertation I wrote I had to rewrite a LOT! I don't even remember how many drafts I had. But now I have maybe one or two drafts if that.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.