Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have a 2.1 in Civil Engineering from a sub standard university and therefore have struggled to get a place on the MSc I need to further my career. Was rejected as they required 70% but I only got 62% however was told I could reapply after 5 years industry experience, but this is 4 years away which is a bit too far..

So do people think that doing a postgraduate diploma in engineering over 2 years at the open uni will improve my chances if i was to reapply for the MSc after this?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cubert)
    Hi, I have a 2.1 in Civil Engineering from a sub standard university and therefore have struggled to get a place on the MSc I need to further my career. Was rejected as they required 70% but I only got 62% however was told I could reapply after 5 years industry experience, but this is 4 years away which is a bit too far..

So do people think that doing a postgraduate diploma in engineering over 2 years at the open uni will improve my chances if i was to reapply for the MSc after this?

Thanks!
    I suppose that this might depend on whether the university feel that you have had sufficient experience of the subjects that they are likely to cover on an Msc?

ReputationRep:
    Hi Cubert

I don't think there's any harm in trying? Perhaps you could use the one year to gain some new experience for your next application?

On a separate note, if it's fine with you, can you reveal which university is it that you applied for? I'm just wondering if the 5 years industry experience an informal benchmark, or is this something that is official in the university's admissions guidelines.

Many thanks!

ReputationRep:
    By the way, I think you'll need more than 2 years to do the Pg Dip at Open University if you're starting from scratch, i.e. no credit transfer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cubert)

Thanks!
    I think you need to go back to the university and ask. They seem to have been very specific about their requirements. There's no point spending time and money doing a qualification which will get you nowhere at that uni.

Have you tried other unis? At many, a 2:1 is perfectly acceptable for Masters entry. Plus the quality of your undergrad uni shouldn't be an issue. I went from undergrad at a post-92 former poly to Masters at a Russell Group uni with no trouble. It didn't even cause comment.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies.. the uni is Surrey, it specifically needs to be this uni as the course is via distance learning, and no other uni delivers the same modules this way. They require a 70% as my degree is accredited to IEng rather than CEng, which is annoying.

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.