Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hello TSR.

I am currently in AS (Year 12) studying History, Psychology, Economics and Philosophy. I am hoping to acheive AAAb/c respectively. I was wondering, what impact would it have on universities (such as Durham, St Andrews, Exeter, Kings etc) on me getting a B or C grade in Philosophy (and it being the subject I discontinued whilst moving on to A2 (Year 13) ) I will be applying to a course in Ancient History by the way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JediArron)
    Hello TSR.

I am currently in AS (Year 12) studying History, Psychology, Economics and Philosophy. I am hoping to acheive AAAb/c respectively. I was wondering, what impact would it have on universities (such as Durham, St Andrews, Exeter, Kings etc) on me getting a B or C grade in Philosophy (and it being the subject I discontinued whilst moving on to A2 (Year 13) ) I will be applying to a course in Ancient History by the way.
    not much just need to pass the subject your gonna drop

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    not much just need to pass the subject your gonna drop
    By pass are you implying a 'C' grade?

May I inquire into which university you study at?

I would imagine, due to the increasing competition that it would only play a more important factor as time progresses.

ReputationRep:

I would imagine, due to the increasing competition that it would only play a more important factor as time progresses.
    A pass at a-level is an E. Some unis require you to just pass your dropped AS, some may specify you need a certain grade in it. In tight decisions between almost identical candidates some unis might use the 4th AS grade to decide I think. If everything about two candidates is almost identical but one got an E in sociology in their dropped AS and the other got a B in physics, it could make the difference.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:

As said above, a pass at A-level is an E.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clare~Bear)
    A pass at a-level is an E. Some unis require you to just pass your dropped AS, some may specify you need a certain grade in it.
    For example, Warwick university requires you obtain a C grade in your dropped subject. However, Oxford and Cambridge only require AAA, and they're one of the most prestigious universities in the world.

Do you seriously think they will just be like 'Oh nice he got 3 A's but got a U or E in his AS level that he dropped?'

I don't

ReputationRep:
    Hello TSR.

You still have time so work on getting the highest grade possible on that.
    Competition to get into top universities are getting tougher and tougher each year despite the tuition fees.

It is hard to say; if you get a B/C in philosophy and next year everyone who is applying has an A in their dropped AS, it may disadvantage you getting an offer. Conversely, if you get a B and most people applying that year with their dropped subject grade have a C or something, it will work the opposite way.

However, I would like to stress that grades are not everything and that they look at a lot and a lot of other factors -specially at top universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OnimushaGTA)
    You still have time so work on getting the highest grade possible on that.
    Competition to get into top universities are getting tougher and tougher each year despite the tuition fees.

It is hard to say; if you get a B/C in philosophy and next year everyone who is applying has an A in their dropped AS, it may disadvantage you getting an offer. Conversely, if you get a B and most people applying that year with their dropped subject grade have a C or something, it will work the opposite way.

However, I would like to stress that grades are not everything and that they look at a lot and a lot of other factors -specially at top universities.
    Thank you for a very, from my perspective valid response.

I am reading lots of books on Ancient History, and I intend to volunteer at a museum, I watch documentaries and even play video games related to the ancient world hehe

ReputationRep:

nope am in year 13 but most top unis will not mind as long as you get an E in the other AS subject, UCL do atleast

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    nope am in year 13 but most top unis will not mind as long as you get an E in the other AS subject, UCL do atleast
    Wow, UCL is along with Durham, St Andrews, Imperial, LSE etc. It really shows how much of a minor factor it plays, apparently.

What subject are you applying for in university, and what was the subject you dropped?

ReputationRep:
    Wow, UCL is along with Durham, St Andrews, Imperial, LSE etc. It really shows how much of a minor factor it plays, apparently.

What subject are you applying for in university, and what was the subject you dropped?
    The person who told you this is a fool. Your 4th AS is important - just because it's not part of their grade requirements doesn't mean that it's irrelevant. Trust me, if you were to get 4A grades at AS, even those top unis like UCL/Durham will give you offers without much hesitation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PythianLegume)
    The person who told you this is a fool. Your 4th AS is important - just because it's not part of their grade requirements doesn't mean that it's irrelevant. Trust me, if you were to get 4A grades at AS, even those top unis like UCL/Durham will give you offers without much hesitation.
    I don't think I will achieve an 'A' grade in Philosophy. Also, why don't lots of top universities mention the dropped AS subject in their requirements? Especially due to the increase in competition.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I will achieve an 'A' grade in Philosophy. Also, why don't lots of top universities mention the dropped AS subject in their requirements? Especially due to the increase in competition.
    That's fine, if you get a B then you'll still stand a good chance, especially if you got high As in your others. The unis don't mention the AS in requirements because they can see on your application what grade you got for your AS levels, so there is no need to include it as a condition - if you don't meet AS criteria, they can simply reject you.

ReputationRep:
    They're not going to care. I got AABB at AS and got AAA offers from Warwick, Southampton etc... I even had a 4 day long interview at Oxford! And it's not like I go to some run down city school, it's just a normal state school. Just do your best even if you don't like it and you'll probably get 5 offers anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scillage)
    They're not going to care. I got AABB at AS and got AAA offers from Warwick, Southampton etc... I even had a 4 day long interview at Oxford! And it's not like I go to some run down city school, it's just a normal state school. Just do your best even if you don't like it and you'll probably get 5 offers anyway
    Thank you, very inspiring, let's get married! XD

ReputationRep:
    i think it makes you look lazy

ReputationRep:
    the unis prospectus will tell you their entry requirements, and if you are unsure just email them to ask. i got a D in my AS, and got a tonne of rejections from med schools. i finally clued up that this was (part of) the reason, and so emailed every single med school asking for their exact entry requirements and asking if mine matched. a couple of the unis gave different responses to their prospectus (i cant remember which ones, it was over a year ago), so it was worth it. and i got offers...so it definitely helped!

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.