Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Do you ever get back in contact with an ex? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Split up in October and hes 21st birthday is coming up.. Didnt end on great terms and haven't spoken since but I was with him for 5 years.
    What do you think?
    I'm bored of being nasty and bickering!
    Has anyone ever been in this position?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's dangerous and will more than likely end in 'feelings' being stirred! Having said this - I've seen it work!

Personally, I leave my past behind me :P except from my 'First' haha. We still talk now and then, but that was nearly 9 years ago!!

ReputationRep:
    im still in kind of contact with an ex, weve seen each other a few times since we broke up, one ended quite badly, but that wasnt because of him, that was the situation.

i think it can work, depending on the people...

ReputationRep:
    nooooo they are an ex for a reason!

Some people remain amicable with exes though so it is more than possible!

ReputationRep:
    My ex recently got back into contact after 18 months, whilst i have no animosity towards him now; i have no intention of meeting up with him as the end of the relationship was awful. If I see him out, i'd be friendly but some things are better left in the past. Only you can make the decision if you're ready to meet them.

(Original post by Ali xo)
    Split up in October and hes 21st birthday is coming up.. Didnt end on great terms and haven't spoken since but I was with him for 5 years.
    What do you think?
    I'm bored of being nasty and bickering!
    Has anyone ever been in this position?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'd send him a card, just something simple to let him know you wish him the best.

My ex and I split on silly terms, and we've slowly become friends again after, just for the record.

ReputationRep:
    My ex broke up with me about 1 month before my birthday. When she called to wish me on my birthday, it just felt really weird because that was the first time we had spoken since the break up. In a way it was nice to hear from her, but then I couldn't stop thinking about her for the rest of the day. Depends on the person, but I would probably have preferred not hearing from her.

ReputationRep:
    If you feel that it is the right thing to do, go for it. There really shouldn't be any hard feelings at this point. Call it a truce, if you want. You'll regret it if you don't send him a card or something. It doesn't have to be over the top but a simple " Happy 21st birthday " is sufficient. Hope you make the right choice, tell us how it goes

I personally would think about what you could be opening yourself up to by sending anything or reaching out even if its on a mutual friendly basis. As I know with my past relationship he would think it was me trying to get back together or something. Be careful and know what to expect if you were together so long like I was with my ex of almost 7 years.

ReputationRep:
    My first proper boyfriend we split up and didn't talk for about a year. I have no feelings towards him now but we sometimes speak online just as friends do. My other ex dumped me in Janurary and we ended on quite bad terms, a lot of arguing and nastiness, he readded me on facebook and says he wants to be friends but won't add me on xbox again and sometimes if I send a message he reads it then ignores it, so I guess it depends on the person really. It is extremely hard to be friends with someone after ending a relationship because in a relationship you have a different bond to friendship.

ReputationRep:
    He's still a mate, and another I'd still consider a really close friend. If it ended on bad terms, however, I'd be inclined to let things lie and move on; delete him from your life completely to mute the bickering, etc.

ReputationRep:
    just leave him be.

ReputationRep:
    My ex texted me her A-Level results the other day, probably because I was always proud of her when we were together - I wish she hadn't.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 9, 2013
Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.