The Student Room Group

Can you stand the education competition?

Hi.

I have always been a good student and frankly I have always liked school (for the most part).
I'm in my last year of highschool and of course you need to start thinking about your life after highschool. I want to get into a top university like everyone does but I seem to run out of motivation :frown: school just pisses me off at the moment.
Sometimes the whole competition thing frustrates me .. How can you stand it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's exciting. Constantly striving to be better than the person next to you. Then when your work is being graded it's more about you! You chase an 'A' for yourself :smile:

I wouldn't worry too much about it, everything works out fine in the end! If it isn't fine - it isn't the end :wink:
Reply 2
Original post by pmc:producer
It's exciting. Constantly striving to be better than the person next to you. Then when your work is being graded it's more about you! You chase an 'A' for yourself :smile:

I wouldn't worry too much about it, everything works out fine in the end! If it isn't fine - it isn't the end :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
:smile: you're welcome!
Reply 4
High school kinda sucks, but it is easy enough. College is nicer as you're focused purely on what you want to do, and it's more flexible and oriented around you.

As for competition. What competition? Don't make any for yourself. Walk in, do your exams, graduate, walk out. If you don't get into a university, take a gap year, or do re-sits, or apply somewhere else. Hell, consider not going at all. There really isn't one single path to follow and you can go at a pace which suits you.

Don't focus on what everyone else is doing, even if they're doing the same thing as you. Take a slightly more relaxed approach because it is so much easier and nicer in the long run. If something doesn't work out, just re-evaluate where you're at and figure out a different approach to the matter. Minimal stress required - But at the same time, don't become lax and careless because you'll just fail.
Reply 5
Original post by SillyEddy
High school kinda sucks, but it is easy enough. College is nicer as you're focused purely on what you want to do, and it's more flexible and oriented around you.

As for competition. What competition? Don't make any for yourself. Walk in, do your exams, graduate, walk out. If you don't get into a university, take a gap year, or do re-sits, or apply somewhere else. Hell, consider not going at all. There really isn't one single path to follow and you can go at a pace which suits you.

Don't focus on what everyone else is doing, even if they're doing the same thing as you. Take a slightly more relaxed approach because it is so much easier and nicer in the long run. If something doesn't work out, just re-evaluate where you're at and figure out a different approach to the matter. Minimal stress required - But at the same time, don't become lax and careless because you'll just fail.

You're right!
It's not that I couldn't achieve the grades, but .. with highschool coming to an end I just don't feel as determined anymore. I def want to find a way back to where I was last year (high grades, doing like 6 extra curric.) but then I always think: ok there's so many other things in life and school doesn't mean the same to me anymore ..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by cocoflow
You're right!
It's not that I couldn't achieve the grades, but .. with highschool coming to an end I just don't feel as determined anymore. I def want to find a way back to where I was last year (high grades, doing like 6 extra curric.) but then I always think: ok there's so many other things in life and school doesn't mean the same to me anymore ..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't rush into anything then. If you need time out, then you should take it. Just know why you're doing what you're doing and make sure it's in your best interest.

I kinda gave up midway through college because I didn't really want to go to university, then I discovered a degree that I liked and set about it. I did another year of college to get to that point, but I'm finally enjoying it. You really can't force inspiration... Just don't drop out - Try to get the best grades even if you hate it, because you still need to show it to employers no matter the job. But, try to find something you like.
Reply 7
Original post by SillyEddy
Don't rush into anything then. If you need time out, then you should take it. Just know why you're doing what you're doing and make sure it's in your best interest.

I kinda gave up midway through college because I didn't really want to go to university, then I discovered a degree that I liked and set about it. I did another year of college to get to that point, but I'm finally enjoying it. You really can't force inspiration... Just don't drop out - Try to get the best grades even if you hate it, because you still need to show it to employers no matter the job. But, try to find something you like.

Thanks, I will try my best. :smile: you're very helpful

Posted from TSR Mobile
There is competition at all levels. I moved to a grammar school for 6th form, so very academically competitive. It is probably very good getting me used to it for university. I found it very hard, going from being one of the best at my old school, to being average at my new school. You get used to it, and you get over it soon. I'm glad I did it at this stage though. I was slightly depressed at first. What I found though was once I got involved and made friends I got over my feelings of inadequacy. My friends who had been there since year 7 said they felt the same inadequacy when they started. Go out and join clubs and it feels less of a problem.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending