Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Motivation Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have joined a gym and I really want to lose weight but I have no motivation to get up and go to the gym.

I think it's because the last time I joined a gym I was constantly working my ass off and losing little weight. It's so tiring to get so little from it. Obviously I don't expect it to just drop off straight away. But about 2 months later I was basically the same. I changed my diet and was going 3 times a week.

I just want to lose weight and be skinny. I keep telling myself gym gym gym gym. But then the thought of last time doing nothing hits me and I'm on a downer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What's your diet like? You say you changed it last time and noticed no results so you must be going wrong somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    Find a sport.

ReputationRep:
    Do activity that is actually fun - don't go to the gym to punish yourself for being overweight. Like the previous poster said, find a sport or even an active hobby like dancing or hiking. Even if it is still just the gym, try a class or try and set goals for something to add some interest. Don't

If you literally can't find any form of physical activity that you enjoy, just start going for long walks instead. It is a much more pleasant thing to do if you purely want to use up energy.

ReputationRep:
    Ok so if you want motivation maybe you could do something like, take a picture of your current shape, and find a picture of your desired shape from the internet, and put them on your wall or something. Then every month update your picture, and this could be motivation? Just my random thought o.0

ReputationRep:
    Don't go to the gym to do cardio if you're not going to lift weights. It's a waste of money. Go run.

ReputationRep:
    motivation is bull****.

It's the discispline*, commitment* and perserverance to that end goal/physique you have mentally visioned that pushes you every day to go to the gym. Through life you can't expect a calm sail. You have to bear the waves, the ups and downs, man up and adjust to it. Don't hide when there is a storm, DANCE throught it!!!!

Key is caloric deficiet and consistency.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liivayyyyy)
    I have joined a gym and I really want to lose weight but I have no motivation to get up and go to the gym.

I think it's because the last time I joined a gym I was constantly working my ass off and losing little weight. It's so tiring to get so little from it. Obviously I don't expect it to just drop off straight away. But about 2 months later I was basically the same. I changed my diet and was going 3 times a week.

I just want to lose weight and be skinny. I keep telling myself gym gym gym gym. But then the thought of last time doing nothing hits me and I'm on a downer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Just remember healthy living is a lifestyle.

Cut out crap foods, eat clean food like meat and veg (the occasional treat of course)

Then focus on an exercise regime. One small step at a time.

ReputationRep:
    you dont have to eat "clean".

you can eat mcdonald's and still lose weight so long as your total caloric intake is at a deficit.

Im not saying EAT junk food, im just saying you can be flexible with your diet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zzzxxxccc)
    you dont have to eat "clean".

you can eat mcdonald's and still lose weight so long as your total caloric intake is at a deficit.

Im not saying EAT junk food, im just saying you can be flexible with your diet.
    Yeah I know, but it helps, most clean foods have lower calories and/or keep you fuller for longer.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's because the last time I joined a gym I was constantly working my ass off and losing little weight. It's so tiring to get so little from it. Obviously I don't expect it to just drop off straight away. But about 2 months later I was basically the same. I changed my diet and was going 3 times a week.Posted from TSR Mobile
    The way I see it, exercise is important if you want to stay healthy, but the only way you really lose weight is by dieting. You don't even have to start big -- just stop eating snacks, using spreads, condiments, etc. It's actually harder to lose weight if you're already relatively thin, so you have to go for quite a significant calorie deficit, which isn't so great if you're already eating well.

With exercise, people can underestimate the impact of muscle gain. Muscular tissue is heavier than fat, so while you may look slimmer, you could feasibly gain weight on the scales.

For me, concerted efforts to lose weight have involved withholding food more than motivating myself to do exercise, but maybe I'm just a lazy sod.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lemollient_naw)
    For me, concerted efforts to lose weight have involved withholding food more than motivating myself to do exercise, but maybe I'm just a lazy sod.
    I lose weight via diet more than exercise, because I'm lazy too :P.

OP: One thing I've learned is that if you have to ask other people for motivation, you won't succeed. You need your own motivation, otherwise you're never going to get anywhere. I spent years and years trying things that other people said worked for them, but then something happened that was personal for me, and that meant that I finally succeeded (and have thus far kept every last ounce of the weight off almost 4 months since reaching my goal).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zKlown)
    Yeah I know, but it helps, most clean foods have lower calories and/or keep you fuller for longer.
    most clean food are bland and do not bring about satiety.

ReputationRep:
    that happened to me at the beginning!!! like, i went to the gym for a MONTH, ate SUPER healthily and lost like 3pounds in the whole month

then i decided to quit the gym and took up jogging - 20min/day 4times/week. lost 30 pounds!!

what my problem was was that my heart beat during my gym exercises was too high, in the range where my body is building muscle, not burning calories! hence i didnt lose weight!

the same may be happening to you...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    For losing weight try this:
    1). Avoid WHITE carbohydrates. That is bread, rice, cereal, potatoes, pasta, tortillas and fried foods.

2). Eat the same few meals over and over again, you probably do this anyway without realizing it so it shouldn't be too bad.

3). Don't drink calories, so no coke fruit juice etc, drink water or unsweetened tea, coffee. No milk!

4). Don't eat fruit.

5). Take one day off a week where you whatever you want.

Seriously try it, It works! Also for faster results, when you first wake up consume 30 grams of protein within 30 mins of getting up.

Good luck .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ce303ce303)
    that happened to me at the beginning!!! like, i went to the gym for a MONTH, ate SUPER healthily and lost like 3pounds in the whole month

then i decided to quit the gym and took up jogging - 20min/day 4times/week. lost 30 pounds!!

what my problem was was that my heart beat during my gym exercises was too high, in the range where my body is building muscle, not burning calories! hence i didnt lose weight!

the same may be happening to you...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The bit in bold.. I can absolutely assure you it's not the way it works. Building muscle is about your muscles (surprisingly) not your heart rate. The only thing that must have happened is that you burn more calories jogging because you either exercise more, harder, or for longer.

ReputationRep:
    Is there any particular reason you negged? Would you prefer that I continued to let you exercise using completely wrong information??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Music99)
    4). Don't eat fruit.
    Why not? Nothing wrong with fruit.

As for the OP, I find asking myself the question 'How bad do I want it?' helps. Both in and outside of the gym, just ask yourself that question. Your actions will quickly reveal the answer. Good luck and enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Converse Rocker)
    Why not? Nothing wrong with fruit.

As for the OP, I find asking myself the question 'How bad do I want it?' helps. Both in and outside of the gym, just ask yourself that question. Your actions will quickly reveal the answer. Good luck and enjoy.
    I just find people eat loads of it then and as it contains Fructose which is converted to glycerol phosphate to triglycerides by the liver, which then gives fat storage, I find it best to just avoid it. On the day off go crazy though if you want .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Music99)
    I just find people eat loads of it then and as it contains Fructose which is converted to glycerol phosphate to triglycerides by the liver, which then gives fat storage, I find it best to just avoid it. On the day off go crazy though if you want .
    Couldn't too much of anything could in theory make you fat, following the premise of calories in vs calories out. You avoid fruit because it can contribute to fat storage? Surely that's true of any food. There are fruitarians who consume large amounts of fructose every day but don't have any weight problems.

I'm not knowledgeable with nutrition, so what you said largely went over my head, but I'd be interested to see one person that is overweight because they consumed too much fruit. In fact I think the statement 'I find people eat loads of it' pretty hard to believe - how much do you class as "loads", out of interest?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 18, 2013
Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.