Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Costa vs Starbucks Coffee? Your opinions. Watch

• TSR Support Team
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I'm pretty curious to see what TSR's perception is of coffee and which coffee shop you prefer. The two big players are Costa and Starbucks, but can anyone give an informative opinion on which coffee tastes better and also feel free to name another coffee chain if you wish.

Also, which beverage do you order?

I prefer espresso shots as they wake me up real good, however for a nice long chat with a friend, I would have a coffee/mocha.

I'm not a coffee shop regular :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    I always went to Caffe Nero and I still think they have the 'best' coffee. It's a double espresso as standard in their Americano and I just like a black coffee, so the quality is noticeable... Then I realised Starbucks give you a free refill of filter coffee for a lower starting price and had a better selection of food. It's still perfectly good coffee but for effectively for half the price. I think Nero is better quality but Starbucks is better value. Personally Costa is very weak tasting. I know they do good sweet drinks but I just want coffee that tastes of coffee x
    • TSR Support Team
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captainmal)
    I always went to Caffe Nero and I still think they have the 'best' coffee. It's a double espresso as standard in their Americano and I just like a black coffee, so the quality is noticeable... Then I realised Starbucks give you a free refill of filter coffee for a lower starting price and had a better selection of food. It's still perfectly good coffee but for effectively for half the price. I think Nero is better quality but Starbucks is better value. Personally Costa is very weak tasting. I know they do good sweet drinks but I just want coffee that tastes of coffee x
    Yes, actually there is a Caffe Nero in my area, I haven't been there but I'll have to try it.

I've also noticed that Starbucks have a wide range of cakes and food.

When I last went starbucks I went for a mocha and double choc chip muffin!

I should have tried the lemon slices they had.

ReputationRep:
    Costa except for frappuccinos. :sogood:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Smurf)
    Costa except for frappuccinos. :sogood:
    :coma:

I remember back in year 8 I was hooked on them lol
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Costa Coffee Tea!

ReputationRep:
    Starbucks.

-- Sent from O2 WiFi in Costa.

ReputationRep:
    Costa coffee tastes like dirt to me... And they don't have all the combinations like Starbucks does. That said, Starbucks is so expensive that I hardly ever go there anymore.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    It winds me up alot when people post pictures of their coffee in starbucks, on instagram haha.

But starbucks seems like the key player in the market.

I need to go to coffee shops more often.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not really a coffee drinker but I often go to Costa because I like the paninis there and will usually have a latte too.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissDavies)
    I'm not really a coffee drinker but I often go to Costa because I like the paninis there and will usually have a latte too.
    I desperately need to try the paninis there.

Do they toast it fresh there?

ReputationRep:
    Starbucks pays no tax and continually leave their taps running.
    Racing and Triathlon Bike Hire www.d2ride.co.uk

ReputationRep:
    Both coffee shops are comparatively weak to anything you would find in Southern Europe or if you selected your own coffee. Starbucks i find to be a bit off tasting. Costa coffee is so weak though they water down their coffee SOOO much. Anyway I'm a double expresso sugar or vanilla cappuccino. I go to nero if I'm out as their coffee is the best and have the best frapchinos in my opinion and they have a decaff that tastes like coffee and not warm water which is a bit brown

ReputationRep:
    I prefer Costa

ReputationRep:
    Easily Costa for me! Not matter what I buy

ReputationRep:
    I prefer Starbucks, but there are many more Costa shops near me so I tend to go for them. I mainly order cappuccinos.

ReputationRep:
    Costa atmosphere (ie I can go and sit there for hours, actually getting some work done), but Starbucks coffee.

Unfortunately, everything about Starbucks screams "drink your coffee and leave! Ideally just leave immediately". It's a deliberate ploy to get fast turnover, whereas in Costa the default is a mug, drinking in.

Costa coffee isn't hot though! It's like on the low side of drinking temp, when you first get it. So not good to last. Starbucks is piping hot, but still drinkable.

ReputationRep:
    I'm genuinely astonished that some people rate Starbucks coffee above Costa - not that Costa is all that marvellous, but seriously, compared to Starbucks??

However, for taste, Coffee Republic, AMT and Nero are all better than those two.

ReputationRep:
    I generally get my coffee from Dunkin Donuts; love the coffee, love the flavorings, love the doughnuts. Starbucks is always full of hipsters typing on macs.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by USRaphael)
    I generally get my coffee from Dunkin Donuts; love the coffee, love the flavorings, love the doughnuts. Starbucks is always full of hipsters typing on macs.
    I don't think there are any Dunkin Donuts stores in the UK

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.