The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm not a regular coffee drinker but.....

Caffe Nero for the taste of their coffee and the cosy atmosphere, i have only tried a mocha from them though but it was loveely.

Costa for the convenience, the atmosphere and their food - i fell in love with paninis all over again thanks to costa! But i find the taste of their coffee is rubbish, i've tried their mocha as well as their latte and did not enjoy either.

And starbucks is a good all rounder in terms of the taste of their coffee, their atmosphere and their food - really nice cakes in there!

I have also tried a mocha from mcdonalds and i was quite suprised, really not that bad and the convienince is a plus factor.
costa all the wayyy
I'm a huge Starbucks fan, I must spend $160 a month on Caramel Macchiatos :tongue: I earn Starbucks Gold once a month, I have a US account for points collection which is quicker to reach Gold than the UK. Seriously Starbucks is better than Costa but Caffè Nero outdoes Starbucks so :s-smilie: :tongue:
I'm not a coffee drinker but I have to say that Costa is far, far better in the department of non-coffee drinks. Their range of cold drinks, especially in summer, is awesome and they are delicious :smile: Bit cheaper than the Starbucks frappuccinos too. But Starbucks hot chocolate is the best, ever. Costa serve it hardly hot!
I’ve been reading through some coffee blogs and it seems to me, all the pro Starbucks punters seem to prefer the banoffyknickerbockerglorymarshmallowcremedelightlattes, whilst Costa appears to be favoured by grown ups, who actually like the taste of the coffee and probably don’t drink WKDs at the weekend.
I prefer Costa's coffee as its not as strong and that's just what I prefer but I don't mind a good frappe haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
i love costa's mochas. starbucks are overhyped
Costa! Lots of choice as a vegan and free soya milk unlike Starbucks! >:smile:
Original post by MariaJade
Costa! Lots of choice as a vegan and free soya milk unlike Starbucks! >:smile:

Do starbucks seriously charge extra for soya? That's shocking.
Original post by pinejuice
i love costa's mochas. starbucks are overhyped

You really like them?
Costa pretty much for everything, but Starbucks lime refreshers are the best.
I don't normally drink hot chocolate when im out, but must admit that the Starbucks one is vile, couldn't even finish it :frown:
Both far too expensive. Costa does have really nice packets of mini-muffins though which I could eat any time of any day. I'm more of a tea drinker than a coffee drinker and it's so easy to get a nice cup of tea at home so I rarely bother going to either.
When I'm at uni I go to the Student Union coffee shop called Blends; It's made to order, is cheap and cheerful (ranges from £0.65 to £2.30) and you get a loyalty card - get 6 stamps and get the 7th one free. It's atmosphere can vary depending what time you go into the coffee shop - I tend to get takeaway drinks though. I don't like their iced teas though as they make them with syrup in which you can taste it - urgh.

Outside of uni, I go to Costa Coffee :smile: I have tried independent cafes (they aren't that original plus they can't make drinks at all) and I've been to Starbucks and Caffe Nero. I was a loyal Starbucks drinker for 6 years until the novelty wore off and they changed the coffee + the loyalty scheme. CN is average although they do the best hot chocolates out of the big 3 - not happy they got rid of the Caramel frappe they did. CC is my main love as it has nice drinks (although the flavours can be a bit wrong though - I tried the White Choc & Raspberry Cooler last Thursday and it tasted like raspberry ripple ice cream then tried the Sticky Toffee Cooler which tasted of vanilla ice cream), I love the food especially the All Day Breakfast Roll and Lemon Tart and most importantly the atmosphere - it's got a lively one but it doesn't feel like they are rushing you to finish like Starbucks. Also they have free O2 WiFi and plug sockets so you can do your work :smile:
Original post by simplylldxo
When I'm at uni I go to the Student Union coffee shop called Blends; It's made to order, is cheap and cheerful (ranges from £0.65 to £2.30) and you get a loyalty card - get 6 stamps and get the 7th one free. It's atmosphere can vary depending what time you go into the coffee shop - I tend to get takeaway drinks though. I don't like their iced teas though as they make them with syrup in which you can taste it - urgh.

Outside of uni, I go to Costa Coffee :smile: I have tried independent cafes (they aren't that original plus they can't make drinks at all) and I've been to Starbucks and Caffe Nero. I was a loyal Starbucks drinker for 6 years until the novelty wore off and they changed the coffee + the loyalty scheme. CN is average although they do the best hot chocolates out of the big 3 - not happy they got rid of the Caramel frappe they did. CC is my main love as it has nice drinks (although the flavours can be a bit wrong though - I tried the White Choc & Raspberry Cooler last Thursday and it tasted like raspberry ripple ice cream then tried the Sticky Toffee Cooler which tasted of vanilla ice cream), I love the food especially the All Day Breakfast Roll and Lemon Tart and most importantly the atmosphere - it's got a lively one but it doesn't feel like they are rushing you to finish like Starbucks. Also they have free O2 WiFi and plug sockets so you can do your work :smile:

I hate to disappoint, but Costas Coffee is changing too.
Original post by snikutsmullac
Do starbucks seriously charge extra for soya? That's shocking.

Yeah its either 35 or 40p! But so do Caffe Nero!
I hate to disappoint, but Costas Coffee is changing too.

Don't care... I prefer Costa. Plus they pay tax.
Yeah its either 35 or 40p! But so do Caffe Nero!

That's really unfair if somebody is lactose intolerant, it's not their fault they can't have normal milk! Why should they be made to pay extra?
As for people who have it out of choice but they don't have to, that's another matter I guess... but I don't understand why anyone would choose to voluntarily have soya milk, its disgusting :pinch:
That's really unfair if somebody is lactose intolerant, it's not their fault they can't have normal milk! Why should they be made to pay extra?
As for people who have it out of choice but they don't have to, that's another matter I guess... but I don't understand why anyone would choose to voluntarily have soya milk, its disgusting :pinch:

I voluntarily drink soya milk... :colondollar: as I find its creamier and tastes nicer in drink although it's not very nice by itself. Also I don't like cows milk :smile:

But that's Starbucks for you, they are greedy in which people have realised that; which is why Costa is the biggest coffee house in the UK.
I voluntarily drink soya milk... :colondollar: as I find its creamier and tastes nicer in drink although it's not very nice by itself. Also I don't like cows milk :smile:

But that's Starbucks for you, they are greedy in which people have realised that; which is why Costa is the biggest coffee house in the UK.

I tried it one time and it made me gag... I don't particularly like cows milk, but given the choice I know what I'd sooner have!

Starbucks don't give their employees a discount either. Costa Coffee employees get 50% off. Perks of the job :biggrin:
I prefer Costa over Starbucks, it tastes better, and is cheaper, Costa pay tax, Starbucks don't, Costa supports the troops, Starbucks don't, Costa uses fair trade, Starbucks don't. I went to Starbucks once and it was a case of here's your drink now get out! I was disgusted in Costa I get treated with respect as a customer and they try they're best to talk to everyone even on a busy day. About a month ago our troops from our local army base were returning from afgan and once the parade was over most of the troops flooded into Costa because costs offered a troop discount for them, Starbucks didn't do any such thing.

Latest